FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   No upgrade at JW Marriott as Plat (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1811422-no-upgrade-jw-marriott-plat.html)

justus1900 Dec 28, 2016 6:13 am

No upgrade at JW Marriott as Plat

Property: JW Marriott New Orleans
Dates(s): September 1st - September 5th
Room booked: King
Room received (if different than above): King
Award stay: No
BRG stay: No
SNA(s) requested: No
Comments: Checked in no upgrade, asked about upgrade promised a Suite the next day, BellHop heard said he would move us next day, next day pack up call BellHop go to Front Desk told Suite was ready but it would be an extra $500 per night, Sounded so stupid I didn't even say one word just turned around and walked away.

Krysia Dec 30, 2016 3:00 am

Marriott New Orleans actually gets quite rude when we asked for an upgrade as they too would sell us one, but none were available complimentary...must be a NOLA requirement.

sammyindc Dec 30, 2016 8:16 am

There seems to be a pattern about refusing upgrades in New Orleans. I've had this happened as 2 properties and had to have my elite concierge "fight" with them over the phone to give me an upgrade.

joshua362 Dec 30, 2016 8:35 am

Common ownership in NOLA? Thinks i'll steer clear.

SkiAdcock Dec 30, 2016 9:20 am

Originally Posted by justus1900 (Post 27670668)
Comments: Checked in no upgrade, asked about upgrade promised a Suite the next day, BellHop heard said he would move us next day, next day pack up call BellHop go to Front Desk told Suite was ready but it would be an extra $500 per night, Sounded so stupid I didn't even say one word just turned around and walked away.

Marriott doesn't have SNAs, so the above is a format from the SPG forum ;). I started to read the upgrade thread in the SPG forum, but it's unwieldy so I prefer upgrade info (in this forum) to go in the appropriate property threads, but that's just me.

I've gotten suite upgrades at both the JW & the Marriott in NOLA, but it's been a few years so sounds like things have changed.

Cheers.

Lani1 Dec 31, 2016 2:52 pm

Very sorry to hear, most of my Platinum experiences have been great - bad staff

LASUA1K Dec 31, 2016 3:30 pm

As a Platinum I've only been upgraded to a suite once all year. This week I was told I was "upgraded" to a view room.

wvactions Jan 1, 2017 4:23 pm

Don't feel too bad. I'm PP with 165 butt in bed for 2016 and not once was I given a upgrade to a suite. Only upgrade was to concierge level. One property in DC actually told me only Platinum members were eligible for upgrade and arrival gift. She said Platinum Premiere not eligible and is what they give members that are doing "status" match from other properties. She agreed to give me my $10 voucher but insisted I was not eligiable.

DJ_Iceman Jan 1, 2017 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by wvactions (Post 27689861)
One property in DC actually told me only Platinum members were eligible for upgrade and arrival gift. She said Platinum Premiere not eligible and is what they give members that are doing "status" match from other properties. She agreed to give me my $10 voucher but insisted I was not eligiable.

Wow, I hope you corrected that on the spot, either by pulling up the Marriott Rewards website or asking for a manager who should know better. I don't even understand her reasoning--if PP was really for status matches, then wouldn't that person still get platinum benefits? *sigh* I used to like Marriott for consistency...

MSPeconomist Jan 2, 2017 12:07 am

As a PP, my Marriott upgrades have been consistently nonexistent.

SkiAdcock Jan 2, 2017 7:35 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 27690057)
Wow, I hope you corrected that on the spot, either by pulling up the Marriott Rewards website or asking for a manager who should know better. I don't even understand her reasoning--if PP was really for status matches, then wouldn't that person still get platinum benefits? *sigh* I used to like Marriott for consistency...

Yes, FDC totally wrong.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27691036)
As a PP, my Marriott upgrades have been consistently nonexistent.

Yes, you've consistently said you're the unluckiest PP in Marriott history wrt upgrades :p :D. Has always made me wonder why you bother going for Plat each year, vs. staying the extra nights above Marriott Gold at SPG, but to each their own.

I've gotten a # of suite upgrades at JW & other Marriott brands. Not every time, but I've got a pretty good % (and sometimes I don't want or need the suite upgrades). Unlike the OP I did receive on at the JW in NOLA, but it's been a few years so things could have changed at the property.

Cheers.

jlb3 Jan 2, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm a Plat at the Mansion on Forsyth Park right now and was refused an upgrade despite the hotel only being 35% full tonight (as told to me by a management looking person at the bar). I'm only here 1 night. I was told that my room on the conseirge level was my "upgrade" and anything else would be a double upgrade and require $. What a joke.

I was also denied an upgrade at the Ren Charleston. I was told at the front desk that they don't have any upgraded rooms available bc they're all undergoing renovations . . . Yet they're selling them online (an executive room going for a whopping $10 extra). They also refused to give me $10 credit as a PAG and said that hotel only gives points. I hate being lied to with as much $ as I give Marriott.

So far 2017 is not being made great again re: upgrades here.

swintec Jan 2, 2017 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by jlb3 (Post 27694642)
I was told that my room on the conseirge level was my "upgrade" and

I believe in the terms that upgrades include (but are not limited to) higher floors, rooms with views and lounge level rooms, etc etc. I know as customers we like to think that anything but the best rooms in the hotel are not upgrades but if the terms say just a higher floor or view is considered an upgrade we can't really expect much if a hotel wants to go by the book. It is what it is I guess.

dcchi Jan 2, 2017 9:05 pm

Not sure why not getting an upgrade as a platinum is worthy of a thread at all. As a Platinum for several years now, I'd say my upgrade rate is south of 5% (at least in terms of what others might think of as a "real" upgrade such as a suite, clearly nicer room, etc.). We could overwhelm the entire board if we were to get upset at each time an upgrade was denied to a Platinum. I view other Platinum benefits as of much greater value, including lounge access, bonus points, lounge access, United Silver (valuable to me), lounge access, 4pm checkout, lounge access, arrival gift, lounge access, etc.

Vince Chan Jan 3, 2017 4:50 am

Originally Posted by LASUA1K (Post 27685789)
As a Platinum I've only been upgraded to a suite once all year. This week I was told I was "upgraded" to a view room.

Does this mean that even if I become a Gold member in the future, my chance of getting a real upgrade (corner larger room or suite ) instead of a higher floor or premier view but exactly the same room as the regular deluxe room , is very high?

Then why do we spend so much money stay at Marriott so many nights a year to meet the requirement of a Gold or Plat member. I could just paid to get what I want when I need (ex: a better room, executive lounge access..etc) with a minimum fee.

Marriott allows anybody to pay to get into lounge, breakfast, better room with a small fee from their website.

I am not sure if it is really worth it if u spend u own money to meet the require of Plat or Gold.