FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1809479-jw-marriott-phu-quoc-emerald-bay-resort-spa-vietnam-master-thread.html)

SkiAdcock Dec 18, 2016 8:54 am

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

A FTer gave me a heads up this property is bookable January 25, 2017. It's a Category 5, which is a good use of certs, as opening rates are near $400/night. Rooms look lovely on the website.

"Phu Quoc is the largest island of Vietnam in the Gulf of Thailand and just a 50 minutes flight from Ho Chi Minh City. 15 minutes away from the International Duong Dong Airport, the JW resort is located right on pristine Khem Beach at Emerald Bay."

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...esort-and-spa/

"Be amongst the first to discover the pristine island of Phu Quoc, a hidden lush paradise off the southern coast of Vietnam. Travel back to the bygone era of the early 20th century with Bill Bensley's whimsical design and exquisite detail in all 243 rooms, suites, and villas.Experience culinary wonder at the resort's 3 restaurants and contemporary bars. Our talented chefs source local fresh produce and the finest ingredients from the world market, masterfully preparing authentic flavors. A wide range of enriching experiences are waiting to be explored, from cultural events, artisanal shopping experience, ultimate indulgence at Spa by JW, to water activities at the resort's private beachfront."

mh3265a Dec 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 27629591)
A FTer gave me a heads up this property is bookable January 25, 2017. It's a Category 5, which is a good use of certs, as opening rates are near $400/night. Rooms look lovely on the website.

"Phu Quoc is the largest island of Vietnam in the Gulf of Thailand and just a 50 minutes flight from Ho Chi Minh City. 15 minutes away from the International Duong Dong Airport, the JW resort is located right on pristine Khem Beach at Emerald Bay."

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...esort-and-spa/

"Be amongst the first to discover the pristine island of Phu Quoc, a hidden lush paradise off the southern coast of Vietnam. Travel back to the bygone era of the early 20th century with Bill Bensley's whimsical design and exquisite detail in all 243 rooms, suites, and villas.Experience culinary wonder at the resort's 3 restaurants and contemporary bars. Our talented chefs source local fresh produce and the finest ingredients from the world market, masterfully preparing authentic flavors. A wide range of enriching experiences are waiting to be explored, from cultural events, artisanal shopping experience, ultimate indulgence at Spa by JW, to water activities at the resort's private beachfront."

Just saw this listed online. My wife and I are travelling to Vietnam in March and I've booked us at the Hyatt Regency in Da'nang but I might switch to the JW Marriott in Phu Quoc. Not a lot of information about the opening or what amenities the property will have. A little leery about booking so close to the actual opening but wondering if people have any more intel on the property. Not a ton of good sources online....

FlyerBeek Dec 31, 2016 3:25 am

Staying at the IC Danang Sun Peninsula right now. The GM here mentioned that the soon-to-open JW Phu Quoc has the same owner. I wasn't even tracking this new property, but the Bill Bensley-designed rooms look gorgeous (he also designed the suites at the PH Siem Reap we stayed at earlier this trip). In my opinion, the JW Phu Quoc looks like a great value as a Category 5 property.

I've still got a 7-night Marriott Travel Package certificate I need to book in 2017, I'd be curious if there's enough to do in/near this property to justify a 7 night stay? Looking forward to the first FTer who will post a review!

-FlyerBeek

mh3265a Jan 1, 2017 11:56 am

I've used our credit cards certainly and redeemed additional points for a 4 night stay in March. Will certainly post a review after our trip. I've always heard great things about Phu Quoc from my Vietnamese friends so figured it was a good redemption opportunity.

xiux Jan 3, 2017 3:32 pm

so it's a resort type, no free breakfast for gold/platinum?

mh3265a Jan 3, 2017 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by xiux (Post 27699616)
so it's a resort type, no free breakfast for gold/platinum?

Free breakfast wouldn't seem to apply as it is a resort but no trip reports yet to confirm or deny

SkiAdcock Jan 4, 2017 6:31 am

Originally Posted by mh3265a (Post 27700888)
Free breakfast wouldn't seem to apply as it is a resort but no trip reports yet to confirm or deny

After the property opens in late January, perhaps we'll get reports then. Since it's not yet open we can't expect them this soon :D

Cheers.

mh3265a Jan 4, 2017 8:54 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 27702439)
After the property opens in late January, perhaps we'll get reports then. Since it's not yet open we can't expect them this soon :D

Cheers.

Fair enough! :cool: However, I did think that the JW had a soft opening recently. Maybe I'm wrong but thought they had people coming in already.

Nimitz Jan 7, 2017 2:21 pm

Book 2 rooms at this hotel for 5 Days for our delayed honeymoon in May 2017. Since I had the points I books a second room and invited my wifes' family that live in Vietnam this will be a trip of a lifetime for them.

As for Breakfast I am pretty sure it will be free I have yet to stay at a hotel in Vietnam that does not offer a free breakfast from Luxury to Chain to standard. Even military officer barracks and 10-15$ a night hotel my wife decides to book when she asked me if should could do the planning for one of my trips.

Nimitz Jan 7, 2017 3:10 pm

3rd adult at a JW Marriott resort.

I books 2 rooms at JW Marriott in Phu Quoc for 5 days. I use all 200,000 points I had. One room will be me and my wife the other room will be My Mother-in-law and Brother-in-law with his wife. I made the reservation over the Phone. When I told the agent they would be 3 people in the room he said that there will be an extra fee for the 3rd person so he said he will make it for two and said it would not be a problem.

For regular Marriott hotels I used this a couple times to save the extra person fee but since this is a resort I am more hesitant. The extra person fee is a little high around 50$ US a day so I am wondering if I should fix the reservation now or just wait and see if they will hit me with the fee when I get there.

Thanks

CO-PLAT Jan 8, 2017 5:26 am

I went to Phu Quoc last year and stayed at the supposedly second best hotel (Peppercorn) on the island. My wife and I were extremely disappointed in the whole 5-night experience. Maybe if we had stayed somewhere like a JW our view of the island would be different. There are not many paved roads on the island and the beaches & water are not clean. We rented a motorbike the whole time and drove across a hell of a lot of the island. I took a dip once out in front of Rory's and felt like I had a film of filth over my body. There was massive construction going on in several places. I love Vietnam, but swore I would never go back to Phu Quoc after last year's experience.

SkiAdcock Jan 8, 2017 9:06 am

I'd go w/ what the reservation agent said. Sounds like it might not be a problem, or you're better off not telling them about the 3rd person. The alternative is just to plan for $250 extra charge for the stay.

Cheers.

milty908 Jan 23, 2017 5:05 pm

I've booked 4 nights in February. Will report back. Having stayed at IC Da Nang, I have very high expectations for the JW Marriott.

mh3265a Jan 23, 2017 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by milty908 (Post 27807688)
I've booked 4 nights in February. Will report back. Having stayed at IC Da Nang, I have very high expectations for the JW Marriott.

Great! Look forward to your report.

5DMarkIIguy Jan 25, 2017 9:37 pm

Breakfast is not free. My parents went a few days ago. Platinum got almost nothing there.