Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:02 pm

So I emailed the hotel and asked about the non-existent award availability for 2018.
Was told they are simply not selling the base rooms anymore.
I understand each property has its rights to make decisions that will maximize profit, but I am really disappointed by their response.
This means I need to pay quite a lot more even when paying with cash, as base rooms are simply not available anymore.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
So I emailed the hotel and asked about the non-existent award availability for 2018.
Was told they are simply not selling the base rooms anymore.
I understand each property has its rights to make decisions that will maximize profit, but I am really disappointed by their response.
This means I need to pay quite a lot more even when paying with cash, as base rooms are simply not available anymore.
I guess I don't understand. If they aren't selling base rooms anymore, then what are they going to do with them? Are they just not selling the base rooms until closer to the arrival date? I do see base rooms available with reward availability through mid-December. What a bummer if they are indeed limiting booking of base rooms only 1-2 months out.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by UAL123
I guess I don't understand. If they aren't selling base rooms anymore, then what are they going to do with them? Are they just not selling the base rooms until closer to the arrival date? I do see base rooms available with reward availability through mid-December. What a bummer if they are indeed limiting booking of base rooms only 1-2 months out.
I don't understand their strategy either.
From what I've seen, the availability of base rooms for 2017 is normal, but the hotel intentionally blocked all base rooms for all dates in 2018.
Maybe they don't even know themselves what to do with the base rooms...
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:53 am

What kind of upgrades are people seeing lately on points stays? I'm Marriott gold...also, can someone confirm if they're still honouring the breakfast at this point?

It sounds like there isn't too much to do outside of the resort based on TA reviews...is that really the case?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:54 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by tylerc
What kind of upgrades are people seeing lately on points stays? I'm Marriott gold...also, can someone confirm if they're still honouring the breakfast at this point?

It sounds like there isn't too much to do outside of the resort based on TA reviews...is that really the case?
I heard suite upgrades for Platinum level. Gold and Platinum get free food.

The big issue for people is award space. It seems that for the next 6 months there is not any availability.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Not all Ps are getting suite upgrades.

As stated in the wiki, for now breakfast for G/Ps is being comped, but that perk is not necessarily permanent.

Point stays are still bookable up until mid- December

Originally Posted by t1c
I heard suite upgrades for Platinum level. Gold and Platinum get free food.

The big issue for people is award space. It seems that for the next 6 months there is not any availability.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Plats are upgraded to suites if available but more and more plats are going so will be tougher to get.

Breakfast currently comped but that is not necessarily forever. But it is a nice perk and since I am coming from the Starwood side hope this will stay. This is the first Marriott resort I have ever stayed at in large part because they said breakfast was free for me as a a plat. Post-merger, if breakfasts are not available at resorts, I most likely won't stay at Marriotts for vacation.

Plat hour drinks are most likely ending in November and being replaced with something else... perhaps afternoon tea and snacks.

But in general they treat plats quite well. They actually exceeded my expectations which frankly is rare for me now as I am demanding Truly they were fabulous.

And one gold I met told me he was also extremely happy with his treatment. Overall, it is a lovely spot and is going to be a huge hit for Marriott, especially if they can fix some of the service issues around the pool and restaurants.

Because it is probably the best redemption I have ever seen in a Marriott Starwood property (ie the small number of points needed to redeem a room vs the high price point) award stays are fully booked for the most part. Mgt told me one night 100 of 222 rooms or so were booked on points. If you can get an award stay, take it. It is the best redemption in the world.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:42 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Plats are upgraded to suites if available but more and more plats are going so will be tougher to get.

Breakfast currently comped but that is not necessarily forever. But it is a nice perk and since I am coming from the Starwood side hope this will stay. This is the first Marriott resort I have ever stayed at in large part because they said breakfast was free for me as a a plat. Post-merger, if breakfasts are not available at resorts, I most likely won't stay at Marriotts for vacation.

Plat hour drinks are most likely ending in November and being replaced with something else... perhaps afternoon tea and snacks.

But in general they treat plats quite well. They actually exceeded my expectations which frankly is rare for me now as I am demanding Truly they were fabulous.

And one gold I met told me he was also extremely happy with his treatment. Overall, it is a lovely spot and is going to be a huge hit for Marriott, especially if they can fix some of the service issues around the pool and restaurants.

Because it is probably the best redemption I have ever seen in a Marriott Starwood property (ie the small number of points needed to redeem a room vs the high price point) award stays are fully booked for the most part. Mgt told me one night 100 of 222 rooms or so were booked on points. If you can get an award stay, take it. It is the best redemption in the world.
I still think there will be some flexibility. There are a few rooms at that hotel which cannot be bookable via points, and with rates going for $500.00+ a night for a standard room I have a feeling that there will always be space for a upgrade.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Since they have gone rogue over even standard room availability I just wouldn’t count on the past being the same today or in the near future.

And breakfast at resorts has never been a Marriott standard so why do you think it will, or should, become such post merger of the loyalty programs ?

It may be the best MR point redemption but still not that easily accessible, all facilities still not completely up and running, not much in the way of off site activities, visa hassels and construction ongoing nearby

Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I hope that breakfast will become norm for resorts post merger because it is a stupid rule from a consumer standpoint not to give plats free breakfast at resorts and only in regular hotels. It might save them money in short term but I believe hurts in long term.

A good company would listen to the wants of consumers and adjust accordingly - thus folks who agree with me should state this in feedback as often as possible to Marriott so that they change/ evolve their program. Hopefully Marriott will smart to do that - if they did not they would disenfranchise a lot of the folks coming over from Starwood. Marriott has said it would follow the best of programs so hopefully they would consider this a "best"part and worth the added costs.

Breakfasts alone are actually a major reason why I become loyal to Starwood over Marriott in the first place... and why I direct my companies to book at Starwood as well. IF they took away my lifetime plat status/ and too many other benefits I have become used to (I personally like breakfast and upgrades to suites) I would switch to other chains quite quickly.

The difficulty in getting to Phu Quoc is what makes it so nice and worth getting to now. ONce they opent he Accor properties nearby, I don't think the JW will be as nice as the water and beach will be overrun with people. We are going back in the spring in the hope of getting there before the nearby properties open.

Only the Chinese restaurant has not opened of the major facilities (amybe I am missing something that I don't know about) but I found their current opened facilities to be excellent. And the beack and pool is amazing as are activites. I just went using cash rate and found it cheap compared to the value... so yes I am excited I got point redemptions opportunity for the spring for 10 nights. It is the best per point redemption I have ever seen.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:38 am
kkl

What's the pricing like for all the onsite restaurants?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:45 am
Suspended

There are only a handful of Marriott properties that either provide breakfast to all guests or G/P status holders. For instance, RCs don’t provide squat except for Internet and only if the res is made via Marriott.com

By your login I’ll assume you’re Starwood LT and this is your stated reason for SPG stays, but this perk is what 5 years old and to obtain LT takes 10 years so I must wonder how you could have ever stayed at a SPG property the first 5 years without the breakfast perk !

If you think Phu Quoc is rustic now you should have been there back in the late 60s when the prison was actually used as such - those were the good old days.

I hope that breakfast will become norm for resorts post merger because it is a stupid rule from a consumer standpoint not to give plats free breakfast at resorts and only in regular hotels. It might save them money in short term but I believe hurts in long term.

A good company would listen to the wants of consumers and adjust accordingly - thus folks who agree with me should state this in feedback as often as possible to Marriott so that they change/ evolve their program. Hopefully Marriott will smart to do that - if they did not they would disenfranchise a lot of the folks coming over from Starwood. Marriott has said it would follow the best of programs so hopefully they would consider this a "best"part and worth the added costs.

Breakfasts alone are actually a major reason why I become loyal to Starwood over Marriott in the first place... and why I direct my companies to book at Starwood as well. IF they took away my lifetime plat status/ and too many other benefits I have become used to (I personally like breakfast and upgrades to suites) I would switch to other chains quite quickly.

The difficulty in getting to Phu Quoc is what makes it so nice and worth getting to now. ONce they opent he Accor properties nearby, I don't think the JW will be as nice as the water and beach will be overrun with people. We are going back in the spring in the hope of getting there before the nearby properties open.

Only the Chinese restaurant has not opened of the major facilities (amybe I am missing something that I don't know about) but I found their current opened facilities to be excellent. And the beack and pool is amazing as are activites. I just went using cash rate and found it cheap compared to the value... so yes I am excited I got point redemptions opportunity for the spring for 10 nights. It is the best per point redemption I have ever seen.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:34 am

I have a points booking in a few weeks, which I made a number of months ago, but am now debating going to the Ritz Carlton in Langkawi that just opened instead. The JW looks nice, but I'm concerned about service issues and lack of things to do while visiting.

I'm Gold, and I was under the impression the happy hour was for both Gold and Platinum - if that's not the case, that would be another strike against this property for me! Any idea when that benefit is ending, if it is applicable to Gold?

No upgrades being reported for Gold? Marriott standard is to upgrade both Gold and Plat I believe.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tylerc
I have a points booking in a few weeks, which I made a number of months ago, but am now debating going to the Ritz Carlton in Langkawi that just opened instead. The JW looks nice, but I'm concerned about service issues and lack of things to do while visiting.

I'm Gold, and I was under the impression the happy hour was for both Gold and Platinum - if that's not the case, that would be another strike against this property for me! Any idea when that benefit is ending, if it is applicable to Gold?

No upgrades being reported for Gold? Marriott standard is to upgrade both Gold and Plat I believe.
You're going to get less benefits at the RC than the JW. Also, the likelihood of the service level being worse at the RC is higher since it's a much newer property.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
You're going to get less benefits at the RC than the JW. Also, the likelihood of the service level being worse at the RC is higher since it's a much newer property.
True, but as a newly opened resort they've offered me some decent perks to come check it out.

I'm really torn...PQC kind of sounds like a boring island with little to do. Someone did mention a shuttle into town each evening - can anyone comment on the restaurant options in town?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.