Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:40 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Long time lurker, but first time poster, but this poster continues to rub me the wrong way.

Your breakfast question was previously posted by you in the JW Phu Quoc thread last month and was answered by the property and posted in the wiki, but you post it here again because you don't like the answer !? And, if I understand the rules here, against the rules, but that's for a Mod to decide.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...vietnam-4.html

Your various posts on this property, including wanting a third adult in the second room but complaining that the properties extra $35 fee is to much shows what in this blog is nothing more then a "gamer" however between the third adult and breakfast for 5 because you're G (IMO, no big deal since one can get this status so easily be various means - mirrored from SPG, credit cards) and your current desire of getting as many of your guests into the managers cocktail party will eventually lead this property into deciding to drop the NON REQUIRED comp breakfast for everyone else in the future, so let me say thank you (not) when this happens.

Originally Posted by Nimitz
Hi I will be staying in Phu Quoc for 6 days. I reserved 2 rooms using points under my account I am gold. This week I just made my wife gold with American Express platinum and SPG status match. I think to get the 4 free breakfast I will have to put her name in one room at check in and mine on the next. Or will I only still be allowed only 2 breakfast because I have both reservations.

hehe I know I should of asked this before I paid 199$ to make my wife gold.

Second question does Marriott do anything special for wedding anniversaries we will be celebrating our second anniversary just before we leave the resort.

thanks nimitz
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
Sorry did not want to offend, but I was getting confused with how my situation would work out. Since it was the first time I have traveled with such a large party. The answer that was given was for one guest with one room. My situation change from 1 gold guest with two rooms on one reservation to 2 gold guest with two rooms on one reservation and I was wondering if that would change the dynamic.

I have all the vacation planned out and we will only be at hotel for one or two nights for the 5pm cocktail hour and wanted my wife's family to have the best experience possible. They have never stayed in a hotel like this before. Her brother inlaw and sister in law have never stayed at a hotel that cost more the 20$ a night and this will be the 3rd time that my mother-in-law has every stayed at a hotel in her life.

The reason I am trying to max out the freebies is because my wife still does not want me to spend money. The only reason she accepted for me to bring her family to this hotel is because I am using points. Even if I can afford this hotel for cash rate(barely hehe), she has not yet learned that she is no longer having to live on a 300$ a month salary. She wanted to cancel her mom coming on the trip because I would have to pay extra
for her. I had to convince her that it would make her mom so happy and the cost was small.

nimitz
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Sorry did not want to offend, but I was getting confused with how my situation would work out. Since it was the first time I have traveled with such a large party. The answer that was given was for one guest with one room. My situation change from 1 gold guest with two rooms on one reservation to 2 gold guest with two rooms on one reservation and I was wondering if that would change the dynamic.

I have all the vacation planned out and we will only be at hotel for one or two nights for the 5pm cocktail hour and wanted my wife's family to have the best experience possible. They have never stayed in a hotel like this before. Her brother inlaw and sister in law have never stayed at a hotel that cost more the 20$ a night and this will be the 3rd time that my mother-in-law has every stayed at a hotel in her life.

The reason I am trying to max out the freebies is because my wife still does not want me to spend money. The only reason she accepted for me to bring her family to this hotel is because I am using points. Even if I can afford this hotel for cash rate(barely hehe), she has not yet learned that she is no longer having to live on a 300$ a month salary. She wanted to cancel her mom coming on the trip because I would have to pay extra
for her. I had to convince her that it would make her mom so happy and the cost was small.

nimitz
Living in VN for more than 19 years before moving to the US make me well aware of your situation. I also understand the perspective of the other poster. I would say in this case, I think you should still split your reservation into 2 room with 2 GOLD members' names to maximize the free breakfast offer for 4 ppl. That is totally understandable.

However, in the case of the 5th person, whether at the cocktail hours or breakfast, you should just let the hotel decide and follow the hotel rule. If they are nice and offer one more complimentary, if not maximum you are out of $35 in breakfast for 5 ppl that are peanuts even just compare to maybe McDonalds breakfast here in the states. Or maybe you need to pay for 1 drink max at $15 for FIVE people at the HH. I've never been at the JW Marriott, but it's owned by Sun Group which also owns the IC Danang. If the breakfast buffet is similar to the IC Danang (which I think it should be), you will be in a very good treat even at $30 $35/person. Considering you are gonna be at a 5 star resorts, your wife shouldn't be too mad paying that much. Vietnam nowadays are expensive too. Go to Saigon and you will see that dinners can be as expensive as in the US.

Enjoy your trip to Vietnam. Hope you will like it and report back your impression of the stay. I am gonna be there in July too, and would like to read more reviews from other FTers. Even though within this trip I am going to stay at overwater pool villa in the Maldives after this hotel, I am still very much looking forward to staying at this hotel after our stay at the IC Danang last year.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:34 am
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond

nimitz
I just left the property yesterday and a more complete review will be forthcoming. But in my opinion this is one of the most fantastic hotels/resorts I have ever stayed at and I've stayed at a lot of them--although YMMV. In answer to the specific questions about benefits entitlement, the welcome letter specifically stated 2 comp breakfast buffets per registered elite guest.

Regarding Happy Hour from 5 to 6 PM, comp drinks for 2 per register elite guest. However, note that the comp drinks are limited to the choices of the special cocktail of the day or red wine or white wine or Heineken. All other drinks must be paid for. Also, provided are four very creative hors d oeuvres--different each evening and one of each for two people. The hotel might make exceptions in either or both situations, but don't count on it. Pretty generous for a resort which is not obligated to provide either.

The buffet breakfast prices out at 779,500 VND--$35. Have no idea about the price of drinks since I always opted for the comp offerings.

Plus elites get a 20% discount on all F&B.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Look forward to your detailed trip report! Thx.

Cheers.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dfe
I just left the property yesterday and a more complete review will be forthcoming. But in my opinion this is one of the most fantastic hotels/resorts I have ever stayed at and I've stayed at a lot of them--although YMMV. In answer to the specific questions about benefits entitlement, the welcome letter specifically stated 2 comp breakfast buffets per registered elite guest.

Regarding Happy Hour from 5 to 6 PM, comp drinks for 2 per register elite guest. However, note that the comp drinks are limited to the choices of the special cocktail of the day or red wine or white wine or Heineken. All other drinks must be paid for. Also, provided are four very creative hors d oeuvres--different each evening and one of each for two people. The hotel might make exceptions in either or both situations, but don't count on it. Pretty generous for a resort which is not obligated to provide either.

The buffet breakfast prices out at 779,500 VND--$35. Have no idea about the price of drinks since I always opted for the comp offerings.

Plus elites get a 20% discount on all F&B.
Nice looking forward to the full review too!
Old May 1, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
I was the first guest here at the resort and stayed at all standard room types and turquoise suite. It is really an amazing resort. The room layout is still a typical resort style (not all suite, or with pool) but all the rooms face the ocean, so there won't be garden view etc. Theming is fantastic and I bet you don't see anything like this before. Breakfast is really great and I spent lots of time to talk and give feedback to the resort regarding F&B, services, so right now they are offering cocktails and canape according to the previous posts. Soon they will have the pool villa and I look forward to comback soon.
Old May 3, 2017, 4:37 am

I'll also be at this resort for a week over NYE. Should definitely have a Flyertalk get together!
Old May 4, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I'm getting a marriott package so I will have a 7 day cert and was considering this property for maybe 4 or 5 nights to get some value from the cert. The property sounds really nice and I have gold status, but I am travelling on my own and am worried that there is not much to do on the island or any real night life. Basically I am worried I will be bored. Is this likely to be the case or is there actually a fair amount to do outside the resort and some nightlife?

Last edited by Red259; May 4, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Old May 4, 2017, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Question

"Distastefully Designed Disneyland". Everything is so fake and manufactured reality that it hurts my eyes. I'm sure Chinese will love this.
Old May 5, 2017, 5:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by holtju2
"Distastefully Designed Disneyland". Everything is so fake and manufactured reality that it hurts my eyes. I'm sure Chinese will love this.
Probably the Americans too since one a few posts up said he loved the property, service was great, etc

Cheers.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Red259
I'm getting a marriott package so I will have a 7 day cert and was considering this property for maybe 4 or 5 nights to get some value from the cert. The property sounds really nice and I have gold status, but I am travelling on my own and am worried that there is not much to do on the island or any real night life. Basically I am worried I will be bored. Is this likely to be the case or is there actually a fair amount to do outside the resort and some nightlife?
Well there are a lot worse places to be bored than Phu Quoc. It's a wonderful place to relax but few people would actively seek it out for the night life. Besides, if you get bored you could always do what I did and rent a motorbike or scooter to buzz round the island and explore some of the other beaches.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holtju2
Please do tell more...

I have to admit that was my first thought when i looked the place up and my so is very skeptical as well... this is no andaman langkawi but silliness aside the place offers a great value on points during xmas/ny when every resort in asia seems insanely overpriced...
Old May 5, 2017, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
I would definitely not be going here alone. I wouldn't recommend going to any resort alone but this one in particular is not close to anything. The whole island is pretty small and is lacking in nightlife.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
I had given up at staying at this property for my stay in late December as nights were completely blocked out, but I checked today and award availability had suddenly opened. 25k points per night when paid rates were 600USD+. Pretty sure thats the best value I have been able to squeeze out of Marriott to date.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.