Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
That's absurd. Corporate Marriott pays hotels for your stay, when you redeem points. It isn't money lost, though the rate paid could I suppose be lower than rates the hotel might command during peak season. Still, this was a brand new hotel located in a largely off-the-map destination. Whatever was lost was certainly negated by the publicity and reputation the hotel received by guests who otherwise wouldn't have stayed there.
Yes Marriott pays around $70 for 1 night which is nothing for them. The problem is that you all know how popular the hotel is thanks to many articles for the sweet spot so the resort no matter it is full house or empty, mostly are award stays.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Srisarin
If there are significant point redemptions the Marriott algorithm will automatically increase the catagory without notice and without waiting for next year. Doesnt happen often, but it can and at other props has.....

I was told that they need to request and wait for 1 year. Also the hotel opened just right time when SPG can transfer points to Marriott, that's why the hotel is now full of award stays, which is the main problem now.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:19 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Catagory creep is not limited to one catagory increase/decrease per year

And the property does not determine what catagory they will be on a year by year basis. Thats determined by redemptions.

Originally Posted by nikkoap92
Will be 7 next year and 8 the following year according to the hotel.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:20 am
Suspended

Redemption rates are not a fixed rate as stated herein but based upon occupancy at the time of the redemption.

Originally Posted by nikkoap92
Yes Marriott pays around $70 for 1 night which is nothing for them. The problem is that you all know how popular the hotel is thanks to many articles for the sweet spot so the resort no matter it is full house or empty, mostly are award stays.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Srisarin
Redemption rates are not a fixed rate as stated herein but based upon occupancy at the time of the redemption.
can you elaborate on that?
Dont know much about marriott setup but iirc ich has fixed (low) reimbursement for up to 95% occupancy and market rate beyond that..

ime ich has the best last minute award space in near soldout hotels during major events - perhaps due to that policy
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:46 am
Suspended

There are tid bits here and there throughout this forum - all unconfirmed and rightfully so as what you're asking for is proprietary

Originally Posted by azepine00
can you elaborate on that?
Dont know much about marriott setup but iirc ich has fixed (low) reimbursement for up to 95% occupancy and market rate beyond that..

ime ich has the best last minute award space in near soldout hotels during major events - perhaps due to that policy
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:56 pm

Bummer about Gold members not receiving free breakfast. But still looking forward to our stay here in the middle of April!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Do platinum members still get breakfast? If not, I might consider shortening my stay in late April.... Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold HH
Originally Posted by msfrugalista
Bummer about Gold members not receiving free breakfast. But still looking forward to our stay here in the middle of April!
Full disclosure: During my recent stay, the hotel honored free breakfast due to my date of booking and subsequent inquiry about benefits. That being said, 50% off will result in breakfast costing about $15/person inclusive of taxes and service charge. For what it is, that's an absolute steal, and my husband and I both said we'd be more than happy to pay that in future stays. We ate so much at breakfast that we only needed one more meal each day. If you're gold, you still get 15% discount on all food and beverage. Remember, however, this can't be combined with any other discount, such as happy hour. Thus, I'm not sure if the 15% discount would apply to the 50% discounted breakfast.
Srisarin likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:12 am
Suspended

not unless you booked months ago

Originally Posted by l380
Do platinum members still get breakfast? If not, I might consider shortening my stay in late April.... Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:13 am
Suspended

breakfast discount now is either, not both

Originally Posted by seat2seat
Full disclosure: During my recent stay, the hotel honored free breakfast due to my date of booking and subsequent inquiry about benefits. That being said, 50% off will result in breakfast costing about $15/person inclusive of taxes and service charge. For what it is, that's an absolute steal, and my husband and I both said we'd be more than happy to pay that in future stays. We ate so much at breakfast that we only needed one more meal each day. If you're gold, you still get 15% discount on all food and beverage. Remember, however, this can't be combined with any other discount, such as happy hour. Thus, I'm not sure if the 15% discount would apply to the 50% discounted breakfast.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by seat2seat
Remember this doesn't apply to buffets. We were caught out with a New Years Day buffet at Red Rum. We were not told nor did we see anything mentioning the exclusion of buffets from the discount, only finding out upon Checkout.

We should have argued the issue but Thomas wasn't around at the time and we couldn't be bothered with the hassle of dealing with others.
seat2seat likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by emkay
Is there a place in or near the hotel to rent motorbikes/mopeds?
To answer my own question, the hotel had at 300,000 per day.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold HH
As an update for anyone looking for a paid rate (as opposed to using points), there is a rate ("Stay Longer and Save More!") for a 5-night or longer stay that includes breakfast, as well as 20% discount on F&B, spa, laundry, and airport transfers. It makes your gold or platinum status moot besides a potential room upgrade, but you do get the breakfast.
icebox425 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, etc
Reading the whole thread now while connection in Tokyo on my way to the property.

So far have not seen this question answered - is there a good and reasonably priced laundry service either at the property or nearby? Coming for 10 days is 4yo so a couple of loads will be necessary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.