Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by imverge
Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

This property extended complimentary breakfast for G/P members something that as a resort property is not required to do under the T&C of Marriott Rewards. That was a very nice thing to do.
Sure, 50% is better than full fare but if you're changing the allowance to align with standards then 50% is a curious policy as it isn't aligning with standards and that leaves you open to the motives being questioned.

There would absolutely be complaints if the property actually aligned with standards and charged full price for breakfast however they would then be complying with standards and the complaints would be folly. In this case they are neither complying nor being forthright and will draw proper scorn for being duplicitous.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:07 am
soy

Programs: various
It is aligned with policy.
Lots of Marriott resorts offer elites a % discount on meals. Normally it is 10-20% so I suggest we enjoy this 50% deal while we can. I have no doubt that will eventually go also
imverge and Srisarin like this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
Precisely. How does that achieve their stated goal "to bring our resort in line with other Asia Pacific resorts in the Marriott family and to build consistency amongst all properties?"
Because like many resort properties - elite members receive a discount on F&B.
Srisarin likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by davem4
So Raza the manager said no. Only for honored for guests that at time of booking reached out and asked what benefits were.

Such a poor decision.
Wow - what a strange decision. Too bad about Thomas - he was there before the hotel opened and REALLY knew the hotel and area (eg told me about local restaurants when other staff (including Raza) told me there weren't any and other erroneous info
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
To clarify positions, Raza is the current Front Office Mgr while Thomas is/was Guest Experience Mgr (who did an excellent job and WILL be missed)

Originally Posted by estnet
Wow - what a strange decision. Too bad about Thomas - he was there before the hotel opened and REALLY knew the hotel and area (eg told me about local restaurants when other staff (including Raza) told me there weren't any and other erroneous info
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The property offered perks and award space to generate good publicity and fill up the rooms during first year. I dont think anyone on this board actually paid for their room - it was all driven by redemption value.
But lets get back to reality - their main target is bus or rather plane loads of mainland tour crowd. Just volume.
This hotel or phu quoc in general should not be considered as long distance travel SEA destination - the are many other great resorts and locations for that.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:36 pm
Suspended

totally disagree with everything stated here

Originally Posted by azepine00
The property offered perks and award space to generate good publicity and fill up the rooms during first year. I dont think anyone on this board actually paid for their room - it was all driven by redemption value.
But lets get back to reality - their main target is bus or rather plane loads of mainland tour crowd. Just volume.
This hotel or phu quoc in general should not be considered as long distance travel SEA destination - the are many other great resorts and locations for that.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
The hotel is struggling with the financial issue with many award stays last year. They are pulling it back by increasing the category. Besides the breakfast, it is still worth to visit this place.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by nikkoap92
The hotel is struggling with the financial issue with many award stays last year. They are pulling it back by increasing the category. Besides the breakfast, it is still worth to visit this place.

That's absurd. Corporate Marriott pays hotels for your stay, when you redeem points. It isn't money lost, though the rate paid could I suppose be lower than rates the hotel might command during peak season. Still, this was a brand new hotel located in a largely off-the-map destination. Whatever was lost was certainly negated by the publicity and reputation the hotel received by guests who otherwise wouldn't have stayed there.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Had any part of your premise been correct the catagory of this property, and therefore associated points to redeem, would have increased prior to the standard change of categories.

And the property does not set the catagory/points required.

Originally Posted by nikkoap92
The hotel is struggling with the financial issue with many award stays last year. They are pulling it back by increasing the category.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Srisarin
totally disagree with everything stated here
Did you pay cash for your room?
Has anyone on this board - pretty sure cumulatively we are way over a hundred room-nights there - paid anything other than points/certs?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:42 pm

It hurts for point redemptions that this property has gone up to cat 6 now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes up another level to cat 7 next year.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:18 pm
Suspended

If there are significant point redemptions the Marriott algorithm will automatically increase the catagory without notice and without waiting for next year. Doesn’t happen often, but it can and at other props has.....

Originally Posted by agjil
It hurts for point redemptions that this property has gone up to cat 6 now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes up another level to cat 7 next year.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:22 pm
Suspended

The posters on FT represent a very small fraction of MR (and SPG crossovers) members so even if all FT posters in this thread who posted used points the weight of their numbers vrs others is diminimus

Originally Posted by azepine00
Has anyone on this board - pretty sure cumulatively we are way over a hundred room-nights there - paid anything other than points/certs?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by agjil
Will be 7 next year and 8 the following year according to the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.