Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
From what I've read this is a really nice property & most have truly enjoyed their stays there. That doesn't mean there aren't issues, minor or large, & it's OK to discuss those issues. Just because it didn't exist for one FTer doesn't mean it doesn't exist for another FTer. And that doesn't make one right or one wrong. It's the overall experiences & reports that allow FTers who are considering a stay at this (or other) properties to decide if the property will work for them. What is one person's problem isn't necessarily another's problem.

What property threads are for is to discuss experiences, good, bad, ugly - re: of property. So FTers know what to expect. Most FTers can sort out the wheat from the chuff, including from those who post who have no experience w/ a property as well as those who have stayed at the property.

Cheers.
UASPG and tempra like this.

Last edited by bdschobel; Dec 12, 2017 at 6:23 pm Reason: removed reference to deleted post
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

What property threads are for is to discuss experiences, good, bad, ugly - re: of property. So FTers know what to expect. Most FTers can sort out the wheat from the chuff, including from those who post who have no experience w/ a property as well as those who have stayed at the property.

Cheers.
Thanks Sharon. Agreed that we should share experiences about the property, catch different perspectives that may or may not be important today, and treat each other collegially. I haven't stayed at the property -- yet -- but have been thinking about it and appreciate those who have shared information about it.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by bobdevens
Agreed, Just finished a week and was extremely quiet. Only a few small occasional fishing boats in the bay. Wouldn't have even noticed any construction except when walked up to the far end of the beach off the Resort property and heard a couple small hammers, but nothing substantial. Im sure it will be quite a while before this project is finished, and I would guess the major impact will be the addition of another resort (or whatever the complex is slated to be) using the beach. Currently, the Marriott seems to have the whole bay to themselves, which is quite nice.
Found a little more info on the property being built next door - Premier Residences Phu Quoc Emerald Bay (Gi?i thi?u). Stopped by their sales office in the front of the Marriott but couldn't find out anything on completion dates as the staff there at the time didn't speak English). Ultimately looks like it will be a pretty sizable property and being developed by the same folks that developed the Marriott. The drawing is a little misleading as the property is directly adjacent to the Marriott property.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by bobdevens
Ultimately looks like it will be a pretty sizable property and being developed by the same folks that developed the Marriott.
Website is in process, but the project is continuously referred to as "Premier Residences Phu Quoc Emerald Bay managed by AccorHotels".
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:00 pm

[QUOTE=dgreen12;29173871]Website is in process, but the project is continuously referred to as "Premier Residences Phu Quoc Emerald Bay managed by AccorHotels".[/QUOTI

I think you are right that it will be managed by Accor Hotels, it's just the same developer (Sun Group) as the Marriott property.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:37 am

We're there for NYE and I noticed on their Facebook page they're running a themed event.

It includes:
• OPENING COCKTAIL
• RUE DE LAMARCK STREET PERFORMANCES
• INTERNATIONAL GALA DINNER BUFFET
• COUNTDOWN PARTY
• LIVE BAND DJ ENTERTAINMENT
• SPECIAL LUCKY DRAWS WITH ATTRACTIVE PRICES!

It also includes drinks for the night, for the bargain price of $350USD pp + Tax. I think I'll pass.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Be thankful it's not mandatory (at least for now)
icebox425 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
The nicest bay on the island is being hit by tropical storm Kai-tak. Not sure that we will see that bay quiet before we leave.

I was looking forward to this:

Paradise on earth on Phu Quoc Island

Beautiful Vietnam through Rehahn?s lens - News VietNamNet
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Be thankful it's not mandatory (at least for now)
I'm struggling to understand how they will make it work. They can't make it mandatory as I booked back in April and there was no mention of it at the time of booking - they can't ask customers to compulsorily fork out $700USD they weren't told about at the time of booking. I would argue this strongly and not back down. If it were something reasonable like $150USD pp I would actually be tempted.

However, from the inclusions it seems the only thing they can actually exclusively offer to people who sign-up for the event are free drinks and buffet. We certainly will not eat & drink our money's worth at that price. I can't see how they're going to limit the main public spaces of the resort just to people who sign-up?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Mandatory Christmas Eve / NYE events are just a rip off. Maldives are the worst!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
There is NO indication that this is a mandatory charge (and I hope it never is). The property is HUGE and even if they blocked off a small area it wouldn't really affect much. As for drinks, etc. clearly they could issue a bracelet or.......
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Very good pick up service at the airport where we had 2 cars pick us up (one of them being upgraded to a Mercedes Bens) for the 4 of us. Bunch of amenities inside the car and wi-fi.

The lobby area is quite impressive with an interesting decoration that includes a bunch of nice antique objects all university related.

Due to the high occupancy at the hotel, the suite upgrade was a bit challenging, but the FOM (Raza Muqri) and the Asst FOM (Duong Nguyen) were very helpful as we were upgraded to two top floor Turquoise suites (one of them had a large terrace with a pool on top of the suite). I think that the pictures of those suites found on the internet speak by themselves.

This Disneylandish property does not have buildings of the highest quality, as indicated earlier – yes, you see some cracks and some unglued tiles – but it is not something that will ruin the experience of your stay.

As far as the trash on the beach is concerned, there was an army of attendants making sure that the garden and beach were immaculate. Unfortunately, the sea was not calm due the present typhoons in Asia.

Most mornings, the wind did not allow us to seat outside of the restaurant, which we would have preferred due to the high number of guests (and their kids) inside. However the restaurant is very large – the end of the year is just not the best time to fully enjoy that hotel.

We are right now in the another hotel (IC Danang) designed by Bill Bensley and also owned by the Sun Group. The buildings of the 5-years+ old hotel seem better constructed (although we saw some of the same unglued tiles) with a more luxurious appearance. Both hotels have many interesting design and detail features.

We are in the One Bedroom Heavenly Penthouse which has a spectacular terrace, but the furniture are just too large for the space of the suite. That decoration error (IMO) has not been repeated for the JW Marriott.

BTW, the experience at the breakfast restaurant at this hotel is much worse than at the JW Marriott, as the space is way too small in comparison to the number of guests (almost 100% occupancy at this time).
The food was definitely better at the JW Marriott breakfast.

Last edited by UASPG; Dec 24, 2017 at 5:39 pm
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by UASPG
Very good pick up service at the airport where we had 2 cars pick us up (one of them being upgraded to a Mercedes Bens) for the 4 of us. Bunch of amenities inside the car and wi-fi.

The lobby area is quite impressive with an interesting decoration that includes a bunch of nice antique objects all university related.

Due to the high occupancy at the hotel, the suite upgrade was a bit challenging, but the FOM and the Asst Manager were very helpful as we were upgraded to two top floor Turquoise suites (one of them had a large terrace with a pool on top of the suite). I think that the pictures of those suites found on the internet speak by themselves.

This Disneylandish property does not have buildings of the highest quality, as indicated earlier – yes, you see some cracks and some unglued tiles – but it is not something that will ruin the experience of your stay.

As far as the trash on the beach is concerned, there was an army of attendants making sure that the garden and beach were immaculate. Unfortunately, the sea was not calm due the present typhoons in Asia.

Most mornings, the wind did not allow us to seat outside of the restaurant, which we would have preferred due to the high number of guests (and their kids) inside. However the restaurant is very large – the end of the year is just not the best time to fully enjoy that hotel.

We are right now in the another hotel (IC Danang) designed by Bill Bensley and also owned by the Sun Group. The buildings of the 5-years+ old hotel seem better constructed (although we saw some of the same unglued tiles) with a more luxurious appearance. Both hotels have many interesting design and detail features.

We are in the One Bedroom Heavenly Penthouse which has a spectacular terrace, but the furniture are just too large for the space of the suite. That decoration error has not been repeated for the JW Marriott.

BTW, the experience at the breakfast restaurant at this hotel is much worse than at the JW Marriott, as the space is way too small in comparison to the number of guests (almost 100% occupancy at this time).
The food was definitely better at the JW Marriott breakfast.
Would be interested to hear which is the better hotel overall. The IC Danang is certainly a property I'd love to visit, but JW Phu Quoc was considerably easier to obtain on points.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
Would be interested to hear which is the better hotel overall. The IC Danang is certainly a property I'd love to visit, but JW Phu Quoc was considerably easier to obtain on points.
I wrote a pretty extensive comparison between this place and IC Danang (and other Bensley properties) here. In short, IC Danang is a much more impressive property that I have visited several times and will visit again soon, while the Marriott is much less impressive. Otoh, Marriott is a great deal on points, while the IC is pricey on points, and Amb/RA elite benefits there are minimal on point stays. I'd say, if you can only visit one and have Starriott elite status, go to Phu Quoc while it's Cat 5.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
DaNang area has superior beach on east coast with potential day trips to Hoi An and longer day trip up to Hue while Phu Quoc is tropical island in the southwest corner nearer to Cambodia and offers total relaxation without day trip distractions so it depends on what you want - better beach, where yet another storm is headed or total relaxation.

And I’m not going to allow a few broken exterior tiles, which seem to make such importance to others change my opinion that excluding our week at the Renaissance Tuscany or Auto Col in Lille, France, where we never had a more relaxing time at any Marriott or Starwood (including Lux Col bei hof Salzburg) and we travel the world monthly.

Now if they only could manage a prop in Mont St. Michel or Annecy/Megeve or even reestablish in Vitznau

Originally Posted by ankomonkey

Last edited by Srisarin; Dec 24, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.