FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Platinum Premier benefits / Starwood (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1803694-marriott-platinum-premier-benefits-starwood.html)

pbr6891 Nov 21, 2016 1:35 pm

Marriott Platinum Premier benefits / Starwood

Hello

The status matching for Marriott Platinum to SPG Platinum seems pretty well documented ,,,

The question is any one knows of any special perks for the unpublished tier above that (Marriott Platinum Premier ) ?

Thanks
Pbr6891

SkiAdcock Nov 21, 2016 4:59 pm

Not really any. This is one level that Marriott has basically blown since day #1. They should never have created the Platinum Premier tier (which is invite only) since they don't really differentiate between it & just regular Platinum. It's not like UGS w/ United. In the old days there were some bennies to PP, but they kept scaling them back. You get some small gift at the beginning of the year & you may or may not get treated better as a PP than a P. We've had a few PPs say they get more suite upgrades or better treatment. We've had others say they get jack.

Cheers.

milesmutt Nov 21, 2016 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 27511040)
Not really any. This is one level that Marriott has basically blown since day #1.

Cheers.

I concur. So far I've received zilch of extra value from my PP status. I got better upgrades as a regular
Lifetime Plat than as a Platinum Premier. As always, YMMV.

pbr6891 Nov 21, 2016 7:12 pm

thats disappointing but must say i agree .. I havent seen anything specific benefits as a PP myself recently ...

dank0014 Nov 21, 2016 8:38 pm

The only benefit I have had from PP is that so many front desk agents don't know what it is thus they don't offer me a PAG and I have been able to take advantage of that a few times :)

C17PSGR Nov 22, 2016 1:10 pm

As others have said, platinum premier doesn't transfer to any higher level at Starwood.

I frequently receive suite upgrades at Marriott as a Platinum Premier although its sporadic. I'm doing better, however, on suite upgrades at Starwood. I'm three for three at Starwood, and the upgrades are in place before I check in. In contrast, I usually have to ask at Marriott and even with the assistance of my Elite Concierge, I'm not necessarily "feeling it."

milesmutt Nov 29, 2016 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by milesmutt (Post 27511307)
I concur. So far I've received zilch of extra value from my PP status. I got better upgrades as a regular
Lifetime Plat than as a Platinum Premier. As always, YMMV.

I stand corrected, lol. Upgraded today, without asking, to the Presidential Suite at the Monterey Marriott.

Did Mobile Check In at 1500 if it makes any difference.

It's my first suite upgrade as Platinum Premier in the ten months I've had it.

t1c Nov 30, 2016 5:41 pm

I think we get matched to the lowest level Platinum with Starwood no matter what level Platinum we are with Ritz or Marriott..

DJ_Iceman Nov 30, 2016 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by milesmutt (Post 27544963)
I stand corrected, lol. Upgraded today, without asking, to the Presidential Suite at the Monterey Marriott.

This is off-topic, but the Monterey Marriott has always treated me very well as an elite. I've gotten that same presidential suite upgrade four times (just the balcony is larger than most hotel rooms). And the one time, as a PP, that I didn't get the presidential suite, they upgraded me to a wonderful suite in it's own right with profuse apologies including a complimentary bottle of wine and a huge cheese and cracker plate delivered via room service.

milesmutt Nov 30, 2016 10:24 pm

I agree.

This was the third time I got the Presidential Suite. The other two times I was just a meager Platinum, not even Lifetime.
I got the Steinbeck (?) suite a number of times as well.

Good people at this hotel.

CCIE_Flyer Dec 7, 2016 5:09 pm

So I checked into the CY I've basically lived at for most of the past couple of months, and I almost turned down the bottle of water they were offering since I'd stopped at the store along the way from the airport. Lo and behold, my bottle says "Mr. CCIE_Flyer: Congratulations on your Platinum Premier Status!" Although nothing has changed as far as what's shown in my account. As an aside, the room I'd requested to be blocked had been unblocked and given away to someone else, so not really sure I can care about Platinum at a CY - even one where I'm very well known (or should be) - let alone PP.

4getofn Dec 7, 2016 6:47 pm

So can one of you share with how many levels of Platinum are at SPG ?

lcpteck Dec 8, 2016 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by 4getofn (Post 27580439)

Platinum (25 stays or 50 nights)
Platinum 75 (75 nights)
Platinum 100 (100 nights)

Oxon Flyer Dec 8, 2016 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by 4getofn (Post 27580439)

This table neatly summarises the levels.

Lifetime Platinum (not necessarily having any stays or nights at all to requalify) : Core benefits
Platinum [the so-called 'Plat Minus'] (achieved through 25 stays) : Core benefits
Platinum, with 50 nights - additionally : choose annually one from a list of additional benefits, which include 10 Suite Night Awards
Platinum, with 75 nights - additionally : 4 points per $ spend and You24.
Platinum, with 100 nights - additionally : personal SPG Ambassador

Note that there is nothing at all publically stated in the SPG program terms that requires the higher-level Plats to be given priority treatment over the lower levels for the Core Benefits such as room upgrades. It's a hotly debated point on the SPG forum over whether they should get priority, or actually do in reality.

To this list we now need to add :
Platinum, matched from all levels of Marriott Platinum : Core Benefits

4getofn Dec 8, 2016 7:37 pm

Okay when I looked at my SPG account (which i only occasionally use) it shows me as "Platinum Perferred Guest". So what level is that ? I am a PP with Marriott with 200+ butt in bed nights .. 400 or so total ?