Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Platinum Premier benefits / Starwood

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Platinum Premier benefits / Starwood

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:01 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
i am still unclear as to whether the SPG system actually makes the distinctions alluded to with respect to upgrades between stay plats, night plats, 75 night plats and 100 night plats. I tend to believe this is a flyertalk myth ( except possibly for those with aggressive ambassadors) but feel free to correct me.

After just finishing a ten night Europe trip which involved 4 checkins at Marriotts and one at a Starwood, I will tell you that the upgrades were much better at the Marriott properties. Three checkins at the Boscolo Exedra in Rome were all handled perfectly with wonderful upgrades. In Venice at the Europa and Regina I booked a double upgraded room with points and got no upgrade whatsoever even though the hotel was more or less empty. By craning my neck I could kind of see the water. Last night I booked my kid who had been traveling with us into the Boscolo by herself prior to her flight home and they upgraded her to a two story suite.

IMHO the merger is a win for us SPG folks especially if they keep the exchange rate a 3 to 1.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 11:32 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by abk
i am still unclear as to whether the SPG system actually makes the distinctions alluded to with respect to upgrades between stay plats, night plats, 75 night plats and 100 night plats. I tend to believe this is a flyertalk myth ( except possibly for those with aggressive ambassadors) but feel free to correct me.

After just finishing a ten night Europe trip which involved 4 checkins at Marriotts and one at a Starwood, I will tell you that the upgrades were much better at the Marriott properties. Three checkins at the Boscolo Exedra in Rome were all handled perfectly with wonderful upgrades. In Venice at the Europa and Regina I booked a double upgraded room with points and got no upgrade whatsoever even though the hotel was more or less empty. By craning my neck I could kind of see the water. Last night I booked my kid who had been traveling with us into the Boscolo by herself prior to her flight home and they upgraded her to a two story suite.

IMHO the merger is a win for us SPG folks especially if they keep the exchange rate a 3 to 1.
What were your dates and at which Marriott properties were your stays? When were your dates for the Westin Europe & Regina Venice?

If you didn't get any SPG upgrade, did you check to see if any were available or did you ask if the property were sold out or sold out of standard suites? Upgrades are based on availability, of course.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin
First, lets remember this thread is titled for Marriott Platinum Premier AND Starwood.

Second, there already have been innumerable admissions by MR Plat elites that their top tier status means little at MR/RC properties...at least before the Starwood acquisition.

But once Starwood was acquired, some MR Plat elites became extremely defensive whenever SPG Plat elites speak about the better SPG elite benefits. Apparently, only MR elites are able to point out the obvious? The truth from "foreigners" hurts, I guess.

It seems that many MR elites previously were delighted to complain about their lack of loyalty status paying much dividends, almost as a sort of battle scar--we are elite, we don't get much for it, but we're proud anyway. I assume that's why there also are so many Hilton elites.

Then Marriott acquired Starwood, and MR elites quickly learned more about SPG from their new SPG elite brothers and sisters--and they didn't like what they learned. Many MR elites discovered they didn't have it as good as they thought they did compared to SPG elites, which makes it awfully hard to be as proud of being a MR elite. Many MR elites also discovered that the SPG customer base is more affluent on average and spends more at hotels on average than the average MR customer. That should have been obvious based on the portfolio of SPG vs Marriott, but apparently it wasn't and isn't. That's a big part of the reason why Marriott wanted Starwood in the first place--its more affluent and extremely loyal customer base. That in particular seems to have annoyed a lot of MR elites.

It feels like too many MR Plat elites here on FlyerTalk enjoyed sitting on top of their Marriott threads, feeling confident of their elite status and able to speak as the authorities they saw themselves as being in their Marriott world. They didn't like any outside challengers.

Then those pesky SPG elites came along and joined that Marriott world--and not by choice, remember! Then it turned out that the MR elites didn't have it quite as good as their SPG counterparts--and that pissed off many MR elites. But instead of attacking MR for the obvious contrast in elite benefits, too many MR elites instead have attacked the SPG elites that were delivering the bad news. That is where so much of the nonsensical defensiveness springs from. Talk about killing the messenger!

Whether or not MR elites like it, SPG elites have discovered how poorly Marriott and Ritz-Carlton treat their elites in contrast to how even St Regis (let alone other upscale and luxury SPG brands) treats SPG elites. When an SPG Gold is more likely to get a complimentary upgrade at a StR than a MR Plat Premier is at a Renaissance or JW Marriott, let alone a Ritz-Carlton, it's pretty obvious. When SPG Gold can get guanrateed late checkout at a St Regis but MR Plat Premiers can't get that at a Ritz-Carlton (or other brands), it's pretty obvious. We know better, and so we said so. That's why Marriott suddenly added guaranteed late checkout and is now trying out an elite concierge service--because it was obvious how little MR provided its elites compared to SPG.

This latest exchange began with me simply responding and educating a poster about the very simple and obvious fact that any Marriott Platinum Premier now matched to the entry level SPG Platinum 25 level actually has it better with SPG hotels than he or she had or has it with Marriott hotels. That seriously annoyed some MR elites here, but it's still true.

Every MR Plat benefit is matched by SPG Plat benefits...except that MR Plat gives 48 hr guaranteed room types vs 72 hrs for SPG. But in addition, SPG Plat ALSO gives suite upgrades as a guaranteed benefit based on availability. Until recently, MR Plats didn't even get late checkout guaranteed...while SPG Gold already had that! SPG Plat was and still is better.

Every MR Gold benefit is matched by SPG Gold benefit...except that MR Gold doesn't march every SPG Gold benefit! SPG Gold gets the same 72 hr room type guarantee...but MR Gold doesn't get any guarantee. SPG Gold had the guanrateed late checkout for years, not just recently. SPG Gold gets a welcome amenity, whereas MR Gold doesn't. SPG Gold is better even still.

If MR elites were smart, they'd be recognizing the facts about how much better SPG elite benefits are...and join the rest of SPG elites in pressuring Marriott to institute those into the current Marriott program or certainly into the new 2018 program. Instead, hubris is causing too many MR elites to just deny reality...and then get needlessly defensive about it.

Anyone is welcome and entitled to ignore me...but please don't ignore the simple facts. That's how we got Trump.
What's the approximate breakdown of SPG Plat 25/75/100? Even if SPG elites are spending more per night, I doubt the average SPG Plat 25 is spending as much as nearly any Marriott Plat who in most cases will need at least around 50 BIB nights (+CC, etc).
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:29 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by GoPhils
What's the approximate breakdown of SPG Plat 25/75/100? Even if SPG elites are spending more per night, I doubt the average SPG Plat 25 is spending as much as nearly any Marriott Plat who in most cases will need at least around 50 BIB nights (+CC, etc).
I don't have that information. Yet my central point is that the SPG Plat 25 stated benefits surpass those of MR Platinum or even MR Platinum Premier. There is no question that central point is obviously true. It's interesting that everyone seems to deflect from that central point.

You doubt the average SPG Plat 25 is spending less than the average MR Plat. If you're right, then the average MR Plat spends more to get less benefits.

Yet when you evaluate average room rates for the brands associated with Marriott vs Starwood, it is quite clear that SPG customers spend significantly more than MR customers.

Source: http://chainhotels.com/news/first-qu...y-brand-00236/

First Quarter 2016 Hotel Rates by Brand

Marriott (North America Systemwide)
Hotel Brand Average Daily Rate
Marriott Hotels $180.18
Renaissance $169.49
Autograph $226.47
Ritz-Carlton $386.55
Courtyard $136.99
Fairfield Inn $106.62
SpringHill Suites $118.83
Residence Inn $139.05
TownePlace $103.73
Total $150.15

Starwood Hotels (Worldwide)
Sheraton $145.86
Westin $188.58
St. Regis/Luxury $307.44
Le Meridien $171.65
W $288.35
Four Points $105.81
ALoft $114.36
Total $169.34
Source: http://chainhotels.com/first-quarter...ates-by-brand/)

First Quarter Hotel Rates by Brand (2015)

Marriott (North America Systemwide)
Marriott Hotels $123.78
Renaissance $119.51
Autograph $175.61
Ritz-Carlton $272.05
Courtyard $92.18
Fairfield Inn $67.98
SpringHill Suites $83.09
Residence Inn $101.78
TownePlace $71.63
Total $104.12

Starwood Hotels (Worldwide)
Sheraton $147.82
Westin $187.18
St. Regis/Luxury $320.98
Le Meridien $183.21
W $299.36
Four Points $112.46
ALoft $116.35
Total $173.11
No matter how you review the data, this being the most comprehensive data I can find by Google search for all the Marriott and Starwood brands, the average daily rate for Starwood hotels is higher--sometimes much higher. Please note that JW Marriott is folded into the Marriott category. Note also that Starwood data is worldwide, where Marriott data is only from N America, which favors Marriott.

When you consider the much higher proportion of more expensive room rate brands in Starwood versus the much higher proportion of less expensive room rate brands in Marriott, the gap can be even larger on average.

It is entirely possible, even likely, that a MR Plat with 50 BIB nights could spend less than a SPG Plat with only 25 BIB nights...because the MR Plat can stay at much cheaper brands on average.

(Also, SPG Plat 25 means a minimum of 25 STAYS. A stay can be only 1 night. But for most Plats, stays are longer...which means their 25 stays tend to qualify as closer to 50 nights than to 25 nights--which I do know from friends at SPG.)

Either way, my central point--that stated SPG Plat 25 benefits are more substantial (e.g. better) than stated MR Platinum or Platinum Premier benefits--isn't being disputed because it is obvious.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 11, 2016 at 10:22 am
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
Well on my last 4 stays as a newly minted Platinum with SPG my new "core" benefits produced nothing unusual and certainly not a suite ! Haha. Two stays were at Westin, one at a W and one aloft .. None of the Hotels were even close to full (I asked) 😉
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Jet Blue, UAL, IH G Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I don't have that information. Yet my central point is that the SPG Plat 25 stated benefits surpass those of MR Platinum or even MR Platinum Premier. There is no question that central point is obviously true. It's interesting that everyone seems to deflect from that central point.

You doubt the average SPG Plat 25 is spending less than the average MR Plat. If you're right, then the average MR Plat spends more to get less benefits.

Yet when you evaluate average room rates for the brands associated with Marriott vs Starwood, it is quite clear that SPG customers spend significantly more than MR customers.

Source: http://chainhotels.com/news/first-qu...y-brand-00236/

Source: http://chainhotels.com/first-quarter...ates-by-brand/)

No matter how you review the data, this being the most comprehensive data I can find by Google search for all the Marriott and Starwood brands, the average daily rate for Starwood hotels is higher--sometimes much higher. Please note that JW Marriott is folded into the Marriott category. Note also that Starwood data is worldwide, where Marriott data is only from N America, which favors Marriott.

When you consider the much higher proportion of more expensive room rate brands in Starwood versus the much higher proportion of less expensive room rate brands in Marriott, the gap can be even larger on average.

It is entirely possible, even likely, that a MR Plat with 50 BIB nights could spend less than a SPG Plat with only 25 BIB nights...because the MR Plat can stay at much cheaper brands on average.

(Also, SPG Plat 25 means a minimum of 25 STAYS. A stay can be only 1 night. But for most Plats, stays are longer...which means their 25 stays tend to qualify as closer to 50 nights than to 25 nights--which I do know from friends at SPG.)

Either way, my central point--that stated SPG Plat 25 benefits are more substantial (e.g. better) than stated MR Platinum or Platinum Premier benefits--isn't being disputed because it is obvious.
The main thing I get from this post is that SPG reward members are not the elite big spenders that you picture them to be. The average spend is pretty close between Marriott and Starwood with Ritz being the highest in 2016. Since Marriott has more hotels ands more of them in the lower price area, naturally their average rate will be lower - but the numbers show that the difference is slight.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Marriott Golds get lounge access (and breakfast if no lounge or it's closed) at full-service properties worldwide and Marriott Golds get free enhanced hi-speed i-net as part of their bennies, so I'd say the blanket statement that SGP Gold is better than Marriott Gold is obviously not accurate - since SPG Golds do not automatically get free brekkie/lounge access and SPG Golds have to choose btwn hi-speed i-net or a beverage or some SPGpoints. There are some other differences as well.

There's even a thread on the SPG forum where a Marriott Gold stayed at a SPG full service property thinking they'd be getting the bennies they were used to at Marriott properties, only to discover it wasn't the case. The SPG elites themselves even said that SPG Golds don't get much.

Cheers.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MaggieKay
The main thing I get from this post is that SPG reward members are not the elite big spenders that you picture them to be. The average spend is pretty close between Marriott and Starwood with Ritz being the highest in 2016. Since Marriott has more hotels ands more of them in the lower price area, naturally their average rate will be lower - but the numbers show that the difference is slight.
Some will only see what they want to see.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 11, 2016 at 11:28 am
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Marriott Golds get lounge access (and breakfast if no lounge or it's closed) at full-service properties worldwide and Marriott Golds get free enhanced hi-speed i-net as part of their bennies, so I'd say the blanket statement that SGP Gold is better than Marriott Gold is obviously not accurate - since SPG Golds do not automatically get free brekkie/lounge access and SPG Golds have to choose btwn hi-speed i-net or a beverage or some SPGpoints. There are some other differences as well.

There's even a thread on the SPG forum where a Marriott Gold stayed at a SPG full service property thinking they'd be getting the bennies they were used to at Marriott properties, only to discover it wasn't the case. The SPG elites themselves even said that SPG Golds don't get much.

Cheers.
That is fair. More Marriott members clearly find importance with lounge access, and MR Gold does provide that...while SPG Gold does not. SPG hotels in general do not have lounges as often--except for Sheraton, and an increasing number of Westins.

Of course, it's entertaining how I can concede when MR elites have good, valid points...and yet not a single MR elite has yet conceded my obviously true point that started this whole discussion: that SPG Plat 25 benefits are better than those of even MR Plat Premier.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 4getofn
Well on my last 4 stays as a newly minted Platinum with SPG my new "core" benefits produced nothing unusual and certainly not a suite ! Haha. Two stays were at Westin, one at a W and one aloft .. None of the Hotels were even close to full (I asked) ��
"Based on availability" is a factor which too often gets ignored. If standard suites are not available, you obviously can't get the upgrade. To check whether a hotel is being honest, you may want to search online at spg.com before or during check-in to see if you can book the standard suite (assume lowest category suite) for the duration of your stay; if you can book it on spg.com, then it's available to you as a Plat upgrade, and you can ask for a manager or call the Platinum desk to get the upgrade. If you don't check that, then it's impossible to know whether the hotel was being honest. (This is also helpful to make sure you get the nicest room possible, since Plats are always eligible for upgrades to the nicest rooms available.)

Of course, not getting a suite upgrade doesn't necessarily mean you didn't get a room category or two upgrade. Did you? Or were those sold out too?

The irony here is that you often have mentioned in previous FT posts that you haven't had had any upgrades of any sort at any number of Renaissance, Marriott, and Courtyard properties. Not even room category upgrades. So it seems Marriott Plat isn't working for upgrades for you either.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 11, 2016 at 4:03 pm
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
That is fair. More Marriott members clearly find importance with lounge access, and MR Gold does provide that...while SPG Gold does not. SPG hotels in general do not have lounges as often--except for Sheraton, and an increasing number of Westins.

Of course, it's entertaining how I can concede when MR elites have good, valid points...and yet not a single MR elite has yet conceded my obviously true point that started this whole discussion: that SPG Plat 25 benefits are better than those of even MR Plat Premier.
Based on threads in both forums, I'd say elites of both chains find breakfast important, hence there being a lounge sticky or lounge thread in both forums. Marriott provides lounge access/brekkie to Golds; SPG doesn't. Just like Marriott provides enhanced hi-speed i-net to their Golds whereas SPG makes their Golds choose btwn i-net/a beverage/some points.

Actually you're incorrect in that SPG 25 is better than Marriott Plat. If you had gone up a couple more levels to SPG 50/75 you'd probably get more agreeing w/ you. Again, SPG elites themselves have said that SPG 25 isn't as big a deal as the upper SPG Plat levels. I believe them.

I've also not found an official answer, but it seems you semi-provided one so thanks. Which specific brands of SPG offer as a brand standard exec lounges? If I read your post correctly it's only Sheraton w/ some Westins adding them. Marriott has 5 brands where exec lounge access/breakfast is a standard and that's over 900 properties worldwide.

I've always said that there are certain things where SPG is better & certain things where Marriott is better. I've said that for well over a year. Shrug. My hope is that w/ the merged program the best of both worlds is kept, but that normally isn't the way it goes w/ mergers.

Cheers.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
"Based on availability" is a factor which too often gets ignored. If standard suites are not available, you obviously can't get the upgrade. To check whether a hotel is being honest, you may want to search online at spg.com before or during check-in to see if you can book the standard suite (assume lowest category suite) for the duration of your stay; if you can book it on spg.com, then it's available to you as a Plat upgrade, and you can ask for a manager or call the Platinum desk to get the upgrade. If you don't check that, then it's impossible to know whether the hotel was being honest. (This is also helpful to make sure you get the nicest room possible, since Plats are always eligible for upgrades to the nicest rooms available.)

Of course, not getting a suite upgrade doesn't necessarily mean you didn't get a room category or two upgrade. Did you? Or were those sold out too?

The irony here is that you often have mentioned in previous FT posts that you haven't had had any upgrades of any sort at any number of Renaissance, Marriott, and Courtyard properties. Not even room category upgrades. So it seems Marriott Plat isn't working for upgrades for you either.
I completely understand availability and yes my experience with Marriott on upgrades is in general poor at best. The rooms I received in the four different properties were simply basic rooms, nothing special. I have a few SPG hotels booked thru the end of the year (short stays all 3 days or under) and I'll let you know what happens, I will also take you up the suggestion prior to arrival to check to see if suites are available.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Based on threads in both forums, I'd say elites of both chains find breakfast important, hence there being a lounge sticky or lounge thread in both forums. Marriott provides lounge access/brekkie to Golds; SPG doesn't. Just like Marriott provides enhanced hi-speed i-net to their Golds whereas SPG makes their Golds choose btwn i-net/a beverage/some points.

Actually you're incorrect in that SPG 25 is better than Marriott Plat. If you had gone up a couple more levels to SPG 50/75 you'd probably get more agreeing w/ you. Again, SPG elites themselves have said that SPG 25 isn't as big a deal as the upper SPG Plat levels. I believe them.

I've also not found an official answer, but it seems you semi-provided one so thanks. Which specific brands of SPG offer as a brand standard exec lounges? If I read your post correctly it's only Sheraton w/ some Westins adding them. Marriott has 5 brands where exec lounge access/breakfast is a standard and that's over 900 properties worldwide.

I've always said that there are certain things where SPG is better & certain things where Marriott is better. I've said that for well over a year. Shrug. My hope is that w/ the merged program the best of both worlds is kept, but that normally isn't the way it goes w/ mergers.

Cheers.
For the umpteenth time, SPG Plat 25 pretty well matches every benefit that Marriott Platinum (and Platinum Premier, too, since the are NO stated benefits for that!) offers.

MARRIOTT & SPG PLATINUM: Earn MR points or FF miles
MARRIOTT & SPG PLATINUM: Elite night credit earned on paid and award stays
MARRIOTT & SPG PLATINUM: Additional bonus points for eligible stays
MARRIOTT & SPG PLATINUM: Rewards points earned for meetings and events
MARRIOTT & SPG PLATINUM: Our lowest rates, all the time when you book direct
MARRIOTT & SPG PLATINUM: No blackout dates
MARRIOTT & SPG PLATINUM: Guaranteed room type

MARRIOTT & SPG PLATINUM: Guaranteed room availability (48 hr MR vs 72 hr SPG)
MARRIOTT & SPG PLATINUM: Complimentary enhanced in-room Internet access
MARRIOTT $ SPG PLATINUM: Guaranteed 4 p.m. late checkout, subject to availability at resort and convention/conference hotels
MARRIOTT & SPG PLATINUM: Guaranteed lounge access

MARRIOTT PLATINUM: Complimentary room upgrade
SPG PLATINUM: Complimentary best available room upgrade including standard suites

MARRIOTT PLATINUM: Choice of welcome gift, food/beverage amenity, or FF miles
SPG PLATINUM: Choice of welcome gift, points, or continental breakfast

MARRIOTT PLATINUM: Guaranteed breakfast benefit (varies across brands, tons of exceptions, including exempted resorts and conference hotels)
SPG PLATINUM: Continental breakfast benefit at ALL brands, including all conference and resorts, and all brands with restaurants almost entirely provide full breakfast benefit

SPG PLATINUM: Complimentary in-room bottled water.

Sorry, but while MR does state breakfast benefit, 3/4 of its hotels only offer continental breakfasts...while SPG does state continental breakfast benefit even as 2/3 of its hotels offer full breakfast. ALSO, ALL SPG HOTELS offer breakfast. There are so many exceptions to Marriott breakfast including all resorts/conference centers.

ALL BENEFITS APPLY TO ST. REGIS. Few benefits apply to Ritz Carlton or Edition hotels. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

NICE TRY. Not only is the SPG breakfast benefit better applied, it applies to all resorts and all conference hotels, which isn't true for Marriott...and isn't true at all for the best Marriott hotels in the Ritz Carlton/Edition tiers. St.

If you stay at continental breakfast type hotels (lower tier hotels), which account for 3/4 of the Marriott portfolio, the Platinum privileges are comparable. But when you stay at nicer hotels, which account for 2/3 of the SPG portfolio, the Platinum privileges are far superior with SPG--including every St Regis and Luxury Collection property, as well as every resort and conference hotel.

If you stay at any Marriott hotel, excluding Ritz-Carlton and Edition (the best Marriott hotels!), the best you are confirmed to get is a room category upgrade. If you stay at ANY SPG hotel, including St. Regis and Luxury Collection and W, you get the best available upgrade including standard suites.

Entry level SPG Platinum 25 STILL is superior to Marriott Platinum--and one can use those benefits at ALL SPG hotels, including the best St. Regis, Luxury Collection, and W hotels. You can barely get any benefits at Ritz Carlton and Edition hotels in the Marriott world as a Platinum--no breakfast, no upgrade, nothing.

When you stay at only cheaper hotels, as is more common whether people want to admit it or not in the Marriott Rewards world, you don't need to consider what you're missing at resorts and conference hotels, let alone all those Ritz-Carlton and Edition hotels that Marriott pretends to include for you.

When you're in SPG, you don't have to make that distinction at all--since all ouf Platinum benefits apply as easily to St. Regis as they do at Sheraton.

Nice try...but no one is buying.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:56 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
What were your dates and at which Marriott properties were your stays? When were your dates for the Westin Europe & Regina Venice?

If you didn't get any SPG upgrade, did you check to see if any were available or did you ask if the property were sold out or sold out of standard suites? Upgrades are based on availability, of course.
My trip was over Thanksgiving and I am not sure what purpose providing you with the exact dates will achieve. At the Boscolo Exedra in Rome, both rooms which I booked on points received upgrades on each check in. In fact the best upgrade was received when the hotel was full with the First Minister of Vietnam and his entourage.

At the Europa and Regina the hotel was virtually empty and I received nothing beyond the double upgrade that I booked. The room was nice but I actually expected a suite or canal view at the very least.

The Berlin Marriott is a rather new property and I don't believe they have a lot of suites but we received two connecting rooms on one of the executive floors.

As for your ranking of Platinums, where do you rank us lifetime plats who no longer stay 50 nights anymore? Are we at the bottom of the heap at SPG?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by abk
My trip was over Thanksgiving and I am not sure what purpose providing you with the exact dates will achieve. At the Boscolo Exedra in Rome, both rooms which I booked on points received upgrades on each check in. In fact the best upgrade was received when the hotel was full with the First Minister of Vietnam and his entourage.

At the Europa and Regina the hotel was virtually empty and I received nothing beyond the double upgrade that I booked. The room was nice but I actually expected a suite or canal view at the very least.
I ask about dates to get a sense of supply/demand and season. I try to plan my leisure stays at SPG hotels during low or shoulder seasons when I have a much improved chance for upgrades. Not everyone can do that, but it helps to better assess whether the hotel might be playing games or genuinely didn't have standard suites available.

I'm sorry you didn't get a suite upgrade at the Westin Europe & Regina; it has only 9 one bedroom suites that qualify as standard suites...and only another 7 suites above that. Did you get any room category upgrade as a Plat? You mentioned a "double upgrade that you booked"--but I'm not sure if that means your room was upgraded 2 categories or not. If you didn't check on the suite availability, I can only assume the standard suites were unavailable...and it sounds like you got a double upgrade? That isn't too shabby if higher categories were occupied.

As for your ranking of Platinums, where do you rank us lifetime plats who no longer stay 50 nights anymore? Are we at the bottom of the heap at SPG?
I believe SPG considers a Lifetime Plat as equivalent to the entry level Plat 25 (stays)--until you stay 50 nights, 75 nights, or 100 nights in any year. I don't rank you at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.