Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Which Cat 5 Marriott properties would you consider vacationing at?

Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: whatever comes with CCs

I'm new to the program and considering redeeming my marriott points for a nights and flights package. However I haven't found many cat 5 category hotels in locations that I would want to stay at in Hawaii or Mexico. I haven't really researched places in Asia or Europe.

Criteria: atleast one of the following
- on a nice beach
- great location in urban areas
- great value for money
- enough attractions/activities to stay at least 4 days
- cat 5 (preferred), but cat 6 or 7 ok if exceptional

So far I think the JW in Bangkok looks great. Also the Mangroove in Costa Rica (Cat 7). It would be great if we can compile a list of good properties
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
I'm new to the program and considering redeeming my marriott points for a nights and flights package. However I haven't found many cat 5 category hotels in locations that I would want to stay at in Hawaii or Mexico. I haven't really researched places in Asia or Europe.

Criteria: atleast one of the following
- on a nice beach
- great location in urban areas
- great value for money
- cat 5 (preferred), but cat 6 or 7 ok if exceptional

So far I think the JW in Bangkok looks great. Also the Mangroove in Costa Rica (Cat 7). It would be great if we can compile a list of good properties
There are some ideas in this thread:
How are you using your cat 5 certs?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
However I haven't found many cat 5 category hotels in locations that I would want to stay at in Hawaii or Mexico. I haven't really researched places in Asia or Europe.
You might want to start with Marriott's list of Category 5 properties. There are currently 640 of them, but the number fluctuates:

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/Category5.hotels/

As you've already figured out, full-service hotels and resorts at top-notch destinations are almost always higher than category 5. But a select-service property or a suburban full-service property can be be good base for a vacation.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Horace
You might want to start with Marriott's list of Category 5 properties. There are currently 640 of them, but the number fluctuates:

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/Category5.hotels/
I'd start there. Gives you a fast overview by state & country, then you can start narrowing it down.

In Europe & Asia there are some nice 1-5 properties if you decide to go outside the US.

Cheers.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
I would have no issue staying at the Ren in Curacao. It's great that it is a cat 5. We stayed at the Marriott there which we enjoyed, but the Ren was walking distance to everything in town. (We spent a lot in cab fares on that vacation!) From what I recall, they don't have true beach but it does overlook the sea and has a lovely pool area.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ehallison
There are some ideas in this thread:
How are you using your cat 5 certs?
That's the thread I was looking for but the thread title is not search friendly
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
You may or may not realize this, but...

I'm new to the program and considering redeeming my marriott points for a nights and flights package.

Criteria: at least one of the following
The flight and hotel package gives you the airline points and seven nights. You cannot break up the seven nights into shorter stays, nor can you use them at more than one hotel. It's a seven night block at a single hotel. You could use additional points for a four or five night stay, but you would still need to use your seven night block separately at some points before it expires in a year. You can convert MR points to airline miles and do a separate MR points redemption for the hotel stay, but you get more bang for your MR points using a package.

So far I think the JW in Bangkok looks great.
Both the Bangkok Ren and FS (Soi 57) are a category lower and most people find them to be better hotels. Personally, I'd go with the FS, having stayed in each several times and each within the past year. There's a thread discussing these hotels. The JW is a little worn and the other two hotels have better rooms and bathrooms. The JW's CL is larger, but all three have similar offerings. Service is good at all three, but perhaps better at the Ren and FS.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
You may or may not realize this, but...

The flight and hotel package gives you the airline points and seven nights. You cannot break up the seven nights into shorter stays, nor can you use them at more than one hotel. It's a seven night block at a single hotel. You could use additional points for a four or five night stay, but you would still need to use your seven night block separately at some points before it expires in a year. You can convert MR points to airline miles and do a separate MR points redemption for the hotel stay, but you get more bang for your MR points using a package.
Got it. That's why it makes sense to have a separate thread where people would considering redeeming a 7 night block instead of one night stays with the cat 5 certs that come with the credit card or promotions.

If I can book 7 nights and stay even 4/5 of those nights, I'd be happy since there are not that many worthwhile properties.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
If I can book 7 nights and stay even 4/5 of those nights, I'd be happy since there are not that many worthwhile properties.
You would be getting much better value for your points if you could upgrade to a Cat 7,8 or 9 and stay the full 7 nights. These properties can often cost more than $500 a night and most importantly are often in spots you want to spend 7 nights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.