FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   The AC Golf Ball Soap (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1798518-ac-golf-ball-soap.html)

CMK10 Oct 25, 2016 6:23 pm

The AC Golf Ball Soap

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Co...IMG_8330-M.jpg

As a general rule, I like ACs. But I really do not like their soap. It is in my experience, the strangest hotel soap I've ever used. It tends to roll around and off the shelp and it feels really weird rubbing it on your body. What are they thinking with this stuff?

joshua362 Oct 26, 2016 6:43 am

Trying to be different for difference's sake I would guess. I stayed at the Orlando AC 2 years ago and don't recall this, is it new or localized? Downright silly.

Rescmajster Oct 26, 2016 7:10 am

i've seen it in AC hotels in Italy, Spain and Portugal. i think it is distinctive, i kind of like it, even if i have to agree that a normal soap shape is better for practical use

joshua362 Oct 26, 2016 7:47 am

I have enough trouble holding onto regular shaped soap...

CMK10 Oct 26, 2016 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 27394795)
Trying to be different for difference's sake I would guess. I stayed at the Orlando AC 2 years ago and don't recall this, is it new or localized? Downright silly.

Originally Posted by Rescmajster (Post 27394884)
i've seen it in AC hotels in Italy, Spain and Portugal. i think it is distinctive, i kind of like it, even if i have to agree that a normal soap shape is better for practical use

I've now seen it at an AC in Spain and one in Denmark, must be a European thing. My dad collects hotel soap and I brought him some and he said it was the strangest bar he'd ever seen.

Pretzelsandpeanuts Oct 26, 2016 8:56 pm

The AC that just opened in downtown Minneapolis had the golf ball soap. I stayed there last week.

DELee Oct 26, 2016 10:22 pm

The AC in National Harbor, MD had the golf balls back when I stayed earlier this year.

David

milesmutt Oct 26, 2016 10:43 pm

I'd take those over the fragrant and annoyingly slippery Thanh soaps at FS Marriotts.

jamesie_version1 Oct 27, 2016 3:03 am

I quite like the distinctive shape.. But my problem with the AC golfball is that I really struggle to get the ball to lather with respect to normal soaps..

On the subject of soaps, you must try the Stones in Bali. You get a new soap every day and each of them different. It was very nice. I brought home a collection that I still bring out for visitors

mvitale Oct 27, 2016 6:26 am

I've stayed a couple times over the past year at The Henry in Dearborn, MI, and the soap there wasn't the golf ball. That's just weird...

Horace Oct 27, 2016 6:53 am

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 27394795)

Originally Posted by mvitale (Post 27399208)
I've stayed a couple times over the past year at The Henry in Dearborn, MI, and the soap there wasn't the golf ball. That's just weird...

AC Hotels by Marriott and Autograph Collection are not the same thing.

The former is a "distinctive" select service brand, founded by Antonio Catalan, whose initials provide the name of the brand. The AC Hotels brand is not represented in Orlando or Dearborn.

The latter is Marriott's brand for "strikingly independent" full-service hotels. In Orlando, there are two Autograph Collection properties: Castle Hotel, Autograph Collection; and Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando, Autograph Collection. In Dearborn, The Henry, Autograph Collection is the former Ritz-Carlton.

mvitale Oct 27, 2016 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 27399316)
AC Hotels by Marriott and Autograph Collection are not the same thing.

...Wow. You're absolutely right. That's not confusing at all.

http://imgur.com/a/LySEr

(Preview isn't showing me the image I posted above, so here have a link.)

I hope that one of the things they do with the SPG merger is "clean up" their brand list.

-mvitale

joshua362 Oct 27, 2016 7:56 am

My bad, thanks for clearing it up (although its clear as mud to a Marriott outsider). I stayed at the Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando, Autograph Collection.

SkiAdcock Oct 27, 2016 8:20 am

Originally Posted by mvitale (Post 27399579)

I hope that one of the things they do with the SPG merger is "clean up" their brand list.

They've said they're keeping all 30 brands.

Back on topic. If anyone knows some golfers & stays at ACs, they could get some soaps & package them as a Xmas stocking stuffer :D

Cheers.

The _Banking_Scot Oct 27, 2016 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 27399681)
They've said they're keeping all 30 brands.

Back on topic. If anyone knows some golfers & stays at ACs, they could get some soaps & package them as a Xmas stocking stuffer :D

Cheers.

Hi,

I wonder how the golf ball soap would fly as a golf ball!:p

I did get the golf ball soap at a AC hotel in Madrid - quite liked it ( also had a pyramid shaped bar of soap at the Luxor las vegas)

Regards

TBS