Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Courtyard by Marriott Quebec City Hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Courtyard Quebec City

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

Courtyard Quebec City

900 des Rocailles Quebec, CA

Courtyard by Marriott Quebec City Hotel (6 Photos)

Courtyard Quebec City

Please see the sections below for a detailed review.

Check In

Checked in by the front desk supervisor, who initially wanted to charge me for requesting a 2 beds room in lieu of the 1 King that I booked.  After reminding him that I am a Gold elite member, he relented but also claimed that by giving me a room with 2 beds, that is considered my "Complimentary Room Upgrade" even though Superior Room types were available per the screenshot.  Nevermind the Guaranteed Room Type benefit as part of Marriott Rewards for Elites : http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/member-benefits/guarantee.mi

2_Room types available 2.jpg

Room

The room was modern and new as the hotel is barely 2 months old.  There was a microwave, a small fridge (empty inside) but no in-room safe box.  The bed size was adequate but the pillows were very soft.  Possible bed bugs as by 12:00AM, I woke up feeling itchy all over.  Took an allergy pill but it had no effect.  There was a flat screen TV with decent selection of TV programs and the internet connection was adequate.  There is a High Speed Internet and Super High Speed Internet (additional charge of $6.95).  It says the Super High Speed Internet can support up to 5 devices but after connecting once device, if you try to connect any additional device, it will show an error (see screenshot) and ask you to get an authorization code instead.  When trying to call the front desk to get an authorization code from the room's phone, it kept showing a busy signal after numerous tries.  So I ended up calling the front desk using my cell phone by dialing the hotel's number.  It took about 10 minutes, after speaking with 2 different people, to get the code.  At night, after the lights were shut, there is a green light that kept flashing from the ceiling which can be disturbing because it flashes every 3 seconds or so. 

IMG_1460.jpg

Location is convenient as it is near major highways and shopping districts.  It is not particularly touristy so it will be a predominantly business oriented hotel.  If you are looking for Old Town Quebec City, this location is not for you.  But if you are in Quebec for business or just want to explore the region in general, the location is quite suitable for these objectives.

Service

Service at this hotel left a lot to be desired.  From the start, the front desk supervisor's attempt to charge for requesting a room with 2 beds to a Gold Elite member, no acknowledgement of status and generally unfriendly suggest the staff here are poorly trained.  Most importantly, while this hotel is brand new and has 8 floors, the check-in area is mostly staffed by 1 front desk agent only, seldom 2 agents at most.  This means the line at the front desk can be quite long because that same person is also tasked to answer guests who called into the hotel or called down from the guest rooms.  I saw, during the check-out, that 1 front desk personnel had to put several calls on hold just to perform the check-out process while the phone kept ringing for several minutes.  He would then mute the phone, only to have additional people attempted to call in causing the phone to ring again.  This probably explained why when I called down to request the internet authorization code, the in-room phone constantly showed a busy signal. 

This hotel charges for toothbrush if you ask for one.

Dining

We had dinner at the hotel's restaurant, le Commissariat, the food was well made but nothing special though reasonably priced.  Keep in mind however, there are a lot of restaurants and options near and around the hotel.  Both waitresses were very friedly and welcoming.  I would recommend this restaurant based on the service.

Soup.jpg1_IMG_1456.JPG

Pool

There is an indoor swimming pool, about 2 lanes that is about 25 meters long and the deepest part is only 1.3 meter.  It's a rather shallow swimming pool but the length is sufficient for swimming.  The water is however very cold with no apparent temperature control being done to it.  Someone else tried to come in for a swim but when her toe touched the water, she refused to get in. 

Overall

The hotel is brand new in a convenient location.  Given that it has 8 floors, from the exterior, you could easily mistaken it for a full service hotel, it is not however.  Everything from tootbrush to water bottles have a charge.  No complimentary water in the room and the amenities consist of body lotion, soap, shampoo and conditioner.  The lobby area is poorly staffed, or more precisely, short staffed to handle the volume that comes with being a decent size hotel, which can lead to exceedingly long lines during check-in and check-out, but more importantly, calls to the front desk unable to get through or simply ignored.  The biggest issue seems to be the lack of proper training to staff and a cold indifference to guests' needs.  This hotel believes, as confirmed by their Rooms Division Manager, that providing a room with 2 beds instead of a 1 King = fulfilling the Complimentary Room Upgrade requirement of Marriott Rewards even though they are both Standard Rooms.  After I contacted Marriott Customer Care and a representative called the hotel to inquire, the same Front Desk Supervisor then changed his history by claiming that there was no better room available at the time I checked-in (early evening) even though the screenshot provided in the Check-In section clearly shows otherwise and I could even book the superior room category after settling into my room after the meeting, just past 9PM.  The hotel's Room Divisions Manager tried to have it both ways, by first claiming that because a the 2 beds room is at a higher price point than 1 King bed, despite both being Standard Room, then this constitutes a Room Upgrade under the Marriott Rewards policy.  She then further claimed and I quote: " we were almost fully booked so it is very possible that another room type was not available at the time of your check-in ".   If she claims the hotel is already compliant with the MR program, what is the point of checking whether a better room was available given that the latter should be irrelevant?  Simply put, the hotel has a credbility problem, nevermind the fact that MR program defines complimentary room upgrade as: "Best Available Room upon check-in". 

At the end of the day, I very much doubt there is that much of a difference between a Standard and a Superior Room unless the latter has no bed bugs and no flashing green light in it.  It is however the way the hotel goes out their way to make I feel unwelcome, not that I would really care the difference between a Standard and so called "Superior" Room.  I believe this hotel's staff has never been told about the Customer Service story re: "A little cucumber". 

Addditionally, their Rooms Division Manager said and I quote: " As for other Canadian Courtyard offers displaying free breakfast, we are excluded from these promotions as we do not have a bistro restaurant. Our restaurant is a third party restaurant, it is owned and managed by a well renowned group in the Québec City area, Groupe Nourcy. Marriott cannot impose a third party restaurant to participate in all of their created offers. "  Not only is the said restaurant advertised on their website as "our restaurant", the waitress told me they take breakfast coupons from the hotel and you can charge your spending to your room which I did for my dinner, see my screenshot.  And yes, if you go their website, under dinning, the various breakfast options are displayed including their cost.  Also note, the restaurant's address and phone number is that of the hotel and it is located next to the lobby inside the same building.  Did they commit a false advertisement?  You decide. 

You can see from little details like the unacceptably cold temperature of the indoor swimming pool or the fact guests can't get through to the front desk when using the in-room phone or need service that this hotel's service standard is very poor.  To add insult to injury, when I verified my bill in the morning, everything seemed to be in order but when I checked-out, I was inexplicably billed a $500 charge for "Certificate Redemption" without being informed or told what it is.  I only realized once I left the hotel and looked at my final bill.  It was a paid stay, there was no certificate involved whatsoever and I didn't have any incidentals other than the dinner.  The person who checked me out is the same front desk supervisor who checked me in.  If this were an honest error, it goes to show how well trained he is, as a Front Desk Supervisor no less.  If this were intentional because I asked MR Customer Care to intervene for his non-compliance with the MR Program, then this shows willful disdain of customers.  You decide whether this brand new hotel deserves your patronage, I would not return again.

1_bill.jpg

1_CY QC Room upgrades.jpg

Would you like to write a review on the Courtyard Quebec City ?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Wow - doesn't sound like a great stay at all. Thanks for the heads up re: the lousy service.

The only part of your review that I would quibble w/ is at the beginning of the review where you mention the guaranteed room type benefit & "requesting a 2 beds room in lieu of the 1 King that I booked." If you booked a king & you were given a king, the guaranteed room benefit doesn't apply. It would apply if you booked 2 beds but were given a king.

Cheers.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
recommend Delta Quebec

Thanks for a very comprehensive review.
Since I am SPG Plat, I was curious how Marriott is handling the Elite thing. The answer is not very well! Mergers often involve clashes of corporate culture, and this review reminds us that Starwood's may be on the way out?
Also, I can recommend the Delta Quebec.......similar rates, also part of Marriott.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Thanks for a very comprehensive review.
Since I am SPG Plat, I was curious how Marriott is handling the Elite thing. The answer is not very well! Mergers often involve clashes of corporate culture, and this review reminds us that Starwood's may be on the way out?
Also, I can recommend the Delta Quebec.......similar rates, also part of Marriott.
I'm not sure a single property w/ bad service is definitive of how Marriott handles elites across all brands/properties.

Could you provide more info on the Delta Quebec? Helps to have more info when FTers try to decide btwn properties. Thx!

Cheers.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:24 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
For SPGers, unused to limited service hotels, welcome to Marriott's portfolio!

There's plenty of limited service hotels to choose from, especially now the Courtyard brand expands to over 1000 properties! There are really no benefits for Gold staying at Courtyard, Fairfield, Springhill, Towneplace or Residence Inns, other than at the latter two you do have a decent chance at an upgrade from a junior to a 1-bed suite. Generally all these properties have low staff numbers, so when you try to call down, you can end up waiting for ages. The fact that OP expected an upgrade from his reserved King, through the pricier Double-Double he actually needed but hadn't paid for and into a Superior double-double, well thats certainly how it can work at full service, but Courtyard?

You'll generally find suite upgrades difficult to score at Marriott's, whether full or limited service because the construction policy is to build few suites. It's stitched into the whole Marriott business plan, few people pay for suites, so there's little point in building a lot of them.

Where there are a lot of suites built into hotels, in my experience the properties do well upgrading both Golds and Plats, although my experience with Gold was before the UA Gold match which has led to an explosion in the numbers of Golds, though whether that's led to a commensurate increase in stays is more debatable. All the same, I suspect Golds checking in are more common than they were a few years ago, adding to pressure on upgraded inventory.

I think this review is coloured by the initial unrealistic free upgrade expectations, I dismiss the alleged bedbugs, and the disliked pool temperature. Free breakfast is not a benefit for any elite level at Courtyard, and whilst free toiletries are offered at full service, Courtyards don't need to do so. More unrealistic expectations. All we then have really is lengthy delays when calling that are a hazard of limited service properties ran by small numbers of staff.

As for the Quebec Delta, well I stayed there last year and was very happy. It's opposite the Quebec Parliament behind which is an excellent street teeming with restaurants at all different price points. It's a short 10min walk to the city walls. The hotel rooms are pretty average next to full service Marriott's and we were upgraded to the concierge floor. The lounge is a good size, but food options are pretty limited, still it's a nice space and staff are very helpful. The hotel bar is very quiet, during our stay it was almost unused. I would definitely stay at the Delta again when I return to Quebec.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:02 am

Thanks for the info re: Q-D, BB!

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.