Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page > Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa Maui

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa Maui

Reply

Old Oct 18, 17, 9:50 am
  #91
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 245
Hi all: looking to use some Marriott points for a 7N stay with a family of 5 next summer. Since we're such a big party, I'm focusing on booking a suite with points. I see that RC Kapalua has that option but the Marriott Wailea does not have an option of booking a suite for reward stay. How likely are they to release some suites for booking with points over time? I'm a Gold but don't want to take a chance of booking a garden view room with the hope and prayer that they'd upgrade us to a suite. hah.

thoughts?
gumercindo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 17, 2:11 pm
  #92
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: YVR
Posts: 1,526
Originally Posted by gumercindo View Post
Hi all: looking to use some Marriott points for a 7N stay with a family of 5 next summer. Since we're such a big party, I'm focusing on booking a suite with points. I see that RC Kapalua has that option but the Marriott Wailea does not have an option of booking a suite for reward stay. How likely are they to release some suites for booking with points over time? I'm a Gold but don't want to take a chance of booking a garden view room with the hope and prayer that they'd upgrade us to a suite. hah.

thoughts?
I've had my eye on reward stays there for nearly a year now, and I have never seen a suite upgrade option for a reward (only the partial ocean view).

Having said that, I was only ever checking one or two certain times a year, so it's possible they may release them for other times.
pokee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 10:06 am
  #93
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kan@da
Programs: AC, DL, Marriott, SPG, Fairmont, Best Western
Posts: 923
What to expect at this resort in terms of events during new year's eve ? Are guests going to be forced to pay for a special gala dinner, even if staying on an award ?
MasterGeek is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 10:43 am
  #94
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
I've had my eye on reward stays there for nearly a year now, and I have never seen a suite upgrade option for a reward (only the partial ocean view).

Having said that, I was only ever checking one or two certain times a year, so it's possible they may release them for other times.
I even called the hotel - no dice. I think my strategy will be to book 2 standard rooms for 8N. I'll use the F&H package for one of the rooms. I'm assuming there is plenty to do there for 8N?
gumercindo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 17, 10:30 pm
  #95
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redondo Beach, CA USA
Programs: UA 1KMM, MR LP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,520
Originally Posted by gumercindo View Post
I even called the hotel - no dice. I think my strategy will be to book 2 standard rooms for 8N. I'll use the F&H package for one of the rooms. I'm assuming there is plenty to do there for 8N?
I'm sure suites are available for booking, so if the price isn't too high then maybe just save your points and pay for the suite. You could also call the hotel, tell them you've got two standard rooms booked on points, and see if they could move you into a suite instead (for the same number of points).

As to whether or not there is plenty to do "there" for eight nights, if you mean at the resort then no, but if you mean on Maui then absolutely yes.
DJ_Iceman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 17, 6:18 am
  #96
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: LAX
Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Posts: 1,284
I think my 7 year old didn't stop going up and down the water slide for about 8 days so I think certain guests could be content not leaving the resort for a stay that long.
KosherKimchee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 17, 8:47 am
  #97
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman View Post
I'm sure suites are available for booking, so if the price isn't too high then maybe just save your points and pay for the suite. You could also call the hotel, tell them you've got two standard rooms booked on points, and see if they could move you into a suite instead (for the same number of points).

As to whether or not there is plenty to do "there" for eight nights, if you mean at the resort then no, but if you mean on Maui then absolutely yes.
Yeah, I'm looking at ~$7k+ for a suite. Or, the other approach is 560k Marriott points for 2 standard rooms with the hope that they would upgrade me to a suite upon check-in. But, that's a lot of points...
gumercindo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 17, 2:14 pm
  #98
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: YVR
Posts: 1,526
Originally Posted by gumercindo View Post
Yeah, I'm looking at ~$7k+ for a suite. Or, the other approach is 560k Marriott points for 2 standard rooms with the hope that they would upgrade me to a suite upon check-in. But, that's a lot of points...
The rates there are HIGH. For my 6 night stay in March, it would've cost me $3600 US (not including the resort fee, which I need to pay regardless). That's like $4500+ CAD. In points it cost me 200K. That's great value for a hotel award!

Can you squeeze all of you in one with a rollaway - and then hope for any sort of upgrade when you arrive (even if you have to pay the difference)? I did 5 in a double queen at the Marco Island Marriott - 2 teens, 1 kid and two adults...that was fun!

Last edited by pokee; Oct 20, 17 at 2:20 pm
pokee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 17, 3:10 pm
  #99
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
The rates there are HIGH. For my 6 night stay in March, it would've cost me $3600 US (not including the resort fee, which I need to pay regardless). That's like $4500+ CAD. In points it cost me 200K. That's great value for a hotel award!

Can you squeeze all of you in one with a rollaway - and then hope for any sort of upgrade when you arrive (even if you have to pay the difference)? I did 5 in a double queen at the Marco Island Marriott - 2 teens, 1 kid and two adults...that was fun!
I've thought about trying the squeeze with a roll away but could not risk getting there only for the hotel to tell us "nope, sorry". 8N in a standard room is a LONG time with a 11/8/2 year old. lol
gumercindo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 17, 11:10 pm
  #100
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: HNL
Programs: Marriott/SPG Platinum, UA Silver, DL Crossover
Posts: 643
Plat welcome gift at this property is a choice of $10 food&beverage credit or 500 points, has an Alan Wong restaurant
msp3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 17, 10:21 am
  #101
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 29,072
Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
Plat welcome gift at this property is a choice of $10 food&beverage credit or 500 points
That's the Plat welcome gift at all Marriotts* in the U.S. and Canada. It's in the program T&C.

*Specifically: JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott® Hotels, Gaylord Hotels, Delta Hotels®
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 17, 2:08 pm
  #102
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redondo Beach, CA USA
Programs: UA 1KMM, MR LP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,520
Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
Plat welcome gift at this property is a choice of $10 food&beverage credit or 500 points, has an Alan Wong restaurant
Also, I'm pretty sure it's a Roy Yamaguchi restaurant.
DJ_Iceman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 17, 10:23 am
  #103
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: HNL
Programs: Marriott/SPG Platinum, UA Silver, DL Crossover
Posts: 643
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman View Post
Also, I'm pretty sure it's a Roy Yamaguchi restaurant.
Pardon me yes you’re right. For some reason Alan Wong was on my mind...
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
That's the Plat welcome gift at all Marriotts* in the U.S. and Canada. It's in the program T&C.
First stay as Plat please go easy on me 😌. I thought other then the 500 points the other choice varies depending on property? Like you get a bottle of something
msp3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 17, 12:26 pm
  #104
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 29,072
Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
I thought other then the 500 points the other choice varies depending on property? Like you get a bottle of something
You're perhaps thinking of properties outside the U.S. or Canada. In the U.S. or Canada, it is "500 bonus points or $10 Food & Beverage credit." Guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 17, 11:46 am
  #105
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kan@da
Programs: AC, DL, Marriott, SPG, Fairmont, Best Western
Posts: 923
Exclamation

Resort fee increasing to $35 starting from December 1st, and it does NOT include self-parking ($25 extra)
MasterGeek is online now  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:57 pm.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright © 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.