Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page > Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa Maui

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa Maui

Old Sep 3, 17, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat
We just got back from a 3 night stay here and will echo how much we liked the resort. As a platinum on a points award reservation for the lowest category room, we were upgraded to a direct oceanfront view room with a balcony (reservation showed the upgrade a week before arrival). The rooms are adequately sized and feature a large lanai or patio. We loved the pools - especially to Ohi pool - which was never crowded to the point that finding a sun chair was a problem. The on site restaurants and bars were excellent and staff very welcoming and efficient.

Overall we preferred this resort over the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua...both were nice properties, but the direct ocean front views and the larger variety of bar and restaurant options in the immediate area won us over.
Old Sep 3, 17, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimePlatinum
Thanks for the updates! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Sep 6, 17, 11:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
Hi, I am booked for a week from 9/23 - 9/30 at this resort. Im currently in the Garden view room (booked on points).

Is there any way to email the GM requesting an upgrade? Has anyone had success with this? Also, would really appreciate the e-mail, if possible. (ETA - I am Gold)

Had a great time reading everyone's reviews. Looks like a highly regarded resort. Cant wait for our trip!

Thanks!

Last edited by AmeriKop45; Sep 6, 17 at 12:06 pm
Old Sep 6, 17, 4:09 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Platinum, United Gold, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by AmeriKop45 View Post
Hi, I am booked for a week from 9/23 - 9/30 at this resort. Im currently in the Garden view room (booked on points).

Is there any way to email the GM requesting an upgrade? Has anyone had success with this? Also, would really appreciate the e-mail, if possible. (ETA - I am Gold)

Had a great time reading everyone's reviews. Looks like a highly regarded resort. Cant wait for our trip!

Thanks!
You'll likely get an email from the concierge where you can ask but it won't be confirmed until check-in. We were upgraded to a Garden suite and then a premium ocean view 2 days in.
Old Sep 6, 17, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by AmeriKop45 View Post

Thanks!
I've booked a Garden View room on points for next March. I'm only Silver status, so not sure I'll be getting an upgrade, but figured it wasn't worth it to pay an extra $100 a night to get a 'Partial Ocean View' double queen. Seems like the Garden View may be a better view than the Partial Ocean View.

Keep us posted after your trip to let us know if you got the upgrade - and if you think it's worth it to pay the extra $100 a night for a Partial Ocean View.
Old Sep 8, 17, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal View Post
No Marriott facilities on the beach. You can rent chairs and umbrellas from the Marriott but you have to carry them to the beach.
Not true. On wailea beach, they had 2 guys setting up umbrellas for Marriott (orange). Just tip, but they are w the hotel.
Old Sep 9, 17, 12:45 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Platinum, United Gold, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by nottarockstar View Post
Not true. On wailea beach, they had 2 guys setting up umbrellas for Marriott (orange). Just tip, but they are w the hotel.
Might be referring to the beach on the other end of the resort?
Old Oct 2, 17, 9:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
Just back from my trip to Maui.

At check-in at the hotel, they were not able to give me an upgrade. We were given a room at the main tower with a room on the 4th floor (really 2nd floor) overlooking the lobby. Room was partial ocean view but lacked privacy without the curtains closed. Since we didn't spend much time in the room, didn't care as much.

The rep at check in did try to give us an upgrade though, but was unable to due to capacity. She wasn't lying because I did notice that rooms were not open for at least part of the week when I looked online. The resort looked fairly full the first two days but it became clear on day 3. 3 BIG busses full of tourists of Asian decent arrived at the resort. Now the resort was PACKED. I figured this was the reason why we couldn't get that upgrade. The tourists left the same day we did, so I guess our timing was a little unlucky. Oh well, like I said, we didn't care as much.

Since we couldn't be given that upgrade, the rep did offer us complimentary use of the Cabana for a day ($250 value i think?). I asked if we could trade that for free parking instead ($25 a day). She said, sure no problem. So we parked for free for a week and got $175 value out of that. Pretty sure we could have valed our car ($35 a day) and it would still be free. But we didn't mind. The parking lot is a 30 second walk from the lobby.

All in all, the resort is quite nice. We walked over the the Grand Wailea on day 1 and for their Luau on day 6. That place is too over-crowded in my opinion. I mean, their beach chairs literally have less than 0.5in between them, so you must get really comfortable with your neighbour. Also felt that the GW is a humongous property with too many rooms. And the rooms looked a bit outdated (at least from our limited perspective). The Marriot Resort on the other hand is divided into 7 buildings, each 3 floors tall and spread out throughout the property grounds. This gives it a very laid back, mellow, island feel. I LOVED the hotel lobby. So cool. The view from the pools/lobby is amazing.

I had redeemed 120K SPG points for Marriott Nights and flights for a 7 night stay here (+ 162K Aeroplan Miles during the +30% promo). I thought the redemption was well worth it.

Happy to answer any questions.
Old Oct 13, 17, 10:27 am

Programs: AC, DL, Marriott, SPG, Fairmont, Best Western
I am staying soon there on an award. What do you do reduce eating costs, especially for breakfast ?

Do you buy food from grocery and a cooler and put food in it ?
Old Oct 13, 17, 10:45 am

Programs: UA PGMM, MR LP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*
There is a Starbucks in the lobby that offers standard Starbucks pricing. There's also a cool little beach bar called the Whale's Tail that offers small, relatively inexpensive breakfasts.

To each their own, but I can't imagine going to a deluxe resort destination then buying a cooler and going to a grocery store just to save a few bucks.
Old Oct 13, 17, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman View Post
There is a Starbucks in the lobby that offers standard Starbucks pricing. There's also a cool little beach bar called the Whale's Tail that offers small, relatively inexpensive breakfasts.

To each their own, but I can't imagine going to a deluxe resort destination then buying a cooler and going to a grocery store just to save a few bucks.
Yeah, I've always felt that way until I stayed at the Waikoloa Hilton - when I saw the $12 muffin and tasted the disgusting $6 coffee, I knew I had to make different plans.

I'm planning to stay here in March on points, and don't mind paying a little extra for food since our flight and stay are free.
Old Oct 13, 17, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA PGMM, MR LP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
I'm planning to stay here in March on points, and don't mind paying a little extra for food since our flight and stay are free.
Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!

I've also had good, decently-priced (for the area) breakfasts at Longhi's over at The Shops at Wailea. And while the on-site Marriott restaurant is pricey, both the made-to-order and buffet items are pretty darn good. The coffee may be six bucks and the muffins twelve, but they're delicious.
pokee likes this.
Old Oct 15, 17, 7:58 am

Programs: MR LT Plat. & Plat. Prem., IHG Plat., UA Premier Gold, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman View Post

For some of us we either don't want to spend a lot of time having breakfast (e.g. sit down breakfast at Marriott restaurant) and/or the food budget (especially as a family) per day is limited and would rather save it for really nice dinners after a full day of activities. As you said, to each their own...

--Jon
Old Oct 17, 17, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman View Post
For some of us we either don't want to spend a lot of time having breakfast (e.g. sit down breakfast at Marriott restaurant) and/or the food budget (especially as a family) per day is limited and would rather save it for really nice dinners after a full day of activities. As you said, to each their own...

--Jon
We had a dream vacation at this resort for our honeymoon.

We stopped at the Costco by the airport after we picked up our rental car and grabbed wine, case of water, granola bars.... but it was also a 10 day trip.

However you could easily pick up whatever near the airport before heading down to Wailea.
Old Oct 17, 17, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek View Post
I am staying soon there on an award. What do you do reduce eating costs, especially for breakfast ?

Do you buy food from grocery and a cooler and put food in it ?
Get up early and drive over to Kihei for breakfast. Kihei Caffe was great!

Search this Thread