Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Melodsal
Hotel email: [email protected]
Club lounge email: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]

Hat tip to: elephentravels

"For platinum members, there's a weekly management cocktail on wednesdays, drinks (wine, beer, mojito, hard liquor) and some pretty good amuse bouche provided. It seems that only a few of the platinum members will receive the "invite", but if anyone is there on wednesday nights, try your luck at the club lounge to RSVP for the event."
Print Wikipost

Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:10 pm
alc

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
I am looking at a stay here and will need a room for 3 which seems to be no problem (Teenage Daughter with us) and does not seem to attract additional charges when booking online with points. Does anyone have info on having a third person in the room as a PLT in respect of charges for the lounge?
I was here on a 7-night cert with my family of 3 (wife + 10yr) and no issue with lounge. Also I didn't have any add'l person charge upon check-out.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Thanks imverge I did see that but wondered if they offered flexibility as a teenager who doesn't drink should not be charged B500 IMO
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:24 pm

Thanks imverge I did see that but wondered if they offered flexibility as a teenager who doesn't drink should not be charged B500 IMO
Honestly, they don't enforce the 3 person rule. I was there for a week and saw several small groups of people (3-4) come in together without being questioned.

Plus keep in mind that you need to tap your room key in the elevator to access the 27th floor where the lounge is located so if you are on that floor you obviously have access to the lounge plus the door is always kept left wide open, you literally just walk in.

I wouldn't give it a second thought you'll be OK.

Last edited by imverge; Jan 13, 2018 at 5:30 pm
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:52 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
I am looking at a stay here and will need a room for 3 which seems to be no problem (Teenage Daughter with us) and does not seem to attract additional charges when booking online with points. Does anyone have info on having a third person in the room as a PLT in respect of charges for the lounge?
Although it's the policy, I don't think they'd enforce it because AFAIK they are talking about adult 3rd person. We just concluded a 6-night stay where we had two rooms with 2 adults in one and one adult with two children in the second room. We were all welcomed to the M-lounge without issues as this is NOT a nickel and dime you property, in my experience. If you have any issues, ask for Ms. Jiap, the lounge manager, she is very accommodating.

Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
I am afraid I am going to have to revise my opinion in post #63 . I have stayed at the Marquis three times in 2017, the latest over New Year. I have to say that I did not particularly enjoy the most recent stay. It was clear to me that, in certain areas, the hotel cannot cope with the number of guests it can accommodate.

On my 6 night stay there were only two days when I was able to get a table and chair by the pool between 11:00 and 15:00. I am partially disabled and cannot walk more than a few metres without having to sit down and rest. I like to spend the daytime sitting by the pool reading, eating and drinking. That was impossible, due to the large number of guests and limited seating options at the pool.

On the first day, I went to the lounge about 17:45 to find queues out the door. People were being sent to the lobby bar. I opted to wait for a table which took about 10 minutes. Once in the lounge it was like a zoo and I found it quite unpleasant. I did not bother even trying to get into the lounge for evening drinks until my last day when I went at 17:20 and had difficulty getting a table. At 17:30, when the doors to the food area were opened, there was a mad rush by a large proportion of the “guests”.

Breakfast in the lounge (taken at about 07:00) was a more peaceful affair but there was a distinct lack of staff. On one day tables remained uncleared throughout my visit.

Housekeeping was very slow. On only one day of my stay was my room made up by 15:30.

On a very positive note, I had a really enjoyable New Year’s Eve in the new Abar on floor 37 (South Tower). The staff were brilliant and the atmosphere great. The next day I went to the rooftop bar on floor 38. Unfortunately, the staff there were more interested in talking to themselves than in serving guests. Also the drink prices were very high, even if you take account of the fact you are paying for the view. There did not appear to be any food offerings – the Octave Bar at Suk 57 has a comprehensive food selection.

Finally, to add to the issues, the hotel has not posted most of my points. I booked 5 paid nights and used a free night certificate for the final night. Only the points for the incidental spend on my free night have been posted.

All in all my impression is that the pool and lounge are not large enough to cope when the hotel is busy and that the hotel does not have sufficient staff to cope at busy periods. I have another reservation for March but am going to cancel it as, with my disabilities, I cannot risk not getting a place to sit and relax by the pool during the day.

Last edited by BobBHX; Jan 20, 2018 at 7:38 am
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Think you would have found the same conditions at literally any other property you stayed at over New Years as nearly all 5-star properties here were fully booked with families doing a turn away business so your impressions based upon an SRO period would not be the same as previous stays when the property wasn't overbooked over a holiday.

We were at the Renaissance which had SRO at the lounge. Personally, even though allegedly now heated I find the covered pool to damn cold.

Bruce was down at the 57 and he can advise how busy it was during the same period (I noticed the breakfast overflow into the lobby as previously noted when we went to pick him up for a shoppping excursion). As I recall the pool was kinda smallish with limited seating, but the Thai hi-sos love the rooftop second bar, that is until someplace newer pops and they'll all be going to the new bling thing.

And the pool at the JW can only be thought of as a bird bath !

Originally Posted by BobBHX
I am afraid I am going to have to revise my opinion in post #63 . I have stayed at the Marquis three times in 2017, the latest over New Year. I have to say that I did not particularly enjoy the most recent stay. It was clear to me that, in certain areas, the hotel cannot cope with the number of guests it can accommodate.

On my 6 night stay there were only two days when I was able to get a table and chair by the pool between 11:00 and 15:00. I am partially disabled and cannot walk more than a few metres without having to sit down and rest. I like to spend the daytime sitting by the pool reading, eating and drinking. That was impossible, due to the large number of guests and limited seating options at the pool.

On the first day, I went to the lounge about 17:45 to find queues out the door. People were being sent to the lobby bar. I opted to wait for a table which took about 10 minutes. Once in the lounge it was like a zoo and I found it quite unpleasant. I did not bother even trying to get into the lounge for evening drinks until my last day when I went at 17:20 and had difficulty getting a table. At 17:30, when the doors to the food area were opened, there was a mad rush by a large proportion of the “guests”.

Breakfast in the lounge (taken at about 07:00) was a more peaceful affair but there was a distinct lack of staff. On one day tables remained uncleared throughout my visit.

Housekeeping was very slow. On only one day of my stay was my room made up by 15:30.

On a very positive note, I had a really enjoyable New Year’s Eve in the new Abar on floor 37 (South Tower). The staff were brilliant and the atmosphere great. The next day I went to the rooftop bar on floor 38. Unfortunately, the staff there were more interested in talking to themselves than in serving guests. Also the drink prices were very high, even if you take account of the fact you are paying for the view. There did not appear to be any food offerings – the Octave Bar at Suk 57 has a comprehensive food selection.

Finally, to add to the issues, the hotel has not posted most of my points. I booked 5 paid nights and used a free night certificate for the final night. Only the points for the incidental spend on my free night have been posted.

All in all my impression is that the pool and lounge are not large enough to cope when the hotel is busy and that the hotel does not have sufficient staff to cope at busy periods. I have another reservation for March but am going to cancel it as, with my disabilities, I cannot risk not getting a place to sit and relax by the pool during the day.

Last edited by Srisarin; Jan 20, 2018 at 4:47 pm
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
I second that it was very busy during this holiday season at all chain hotels. Heated arguments were heard due to limited space at 2nd floor breakfast at the Conrad and the Intercontinental. There was standing room during the Hyatt Erawan happy hour. Indian guests broke into a big fight at the M-Club lounge at the Marquis on January 2nd during happy hour. Rooms director informed that a total of 2000 guests were residing at the property during any given time ending around January 5th. Pool and all other venues were packed with guests all the time. I told the Chef at the lounge that we moving to another property due to downgraded condition of the lounge and the food. He promised that things will change after January 3rd, which they did for the better and we remained at the hotel until the 8th of January. The food and the crowds gotten so much better that I invited some of our FT friends to join me at the M-Club lounge for happy hour on January 6th.

The pool area on the 9th floor on 12/31/2017 - note the pool attendants bringing more pool recliners
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:46 pm

Here for 5 nights. Breakfast only in the lounge. I am only a Gold but did ask if I could have it at the restaurant after being denied a room upgrade

They did say I already got upgraded since I can use the M lounge and no upgrades in room type or breakfast are allowed because I used "points".

So i did ask - If I had paid for the stay - would you upgrade me? They said yes.

It seems the 5th night free here is not very popular with the management

Its very crowded. I dont think I am coming back because of the location though. The location is the deal breaker here.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:01 pm

Another hidden benefit of the Club rate or being a Platinum is that families with children can partake happy hour at different venues. Management has allowed special menus at 3 outlets at this property for families to enjoy happy hour: Siam Cafe, Soba, and Pagoda Chinese Restaurant. Last year we tried Siam Cafe and the food was delicious but the manager wouldn't shut up bragging about himself to us (reminded me of Artur Kluczewski for those who know him! ) This year, we were reminded of this benefit by the lounge chef. We took him upon it and made the required reservation through the lounge staff to Pagoda Chinese Restaurant. This was a disastrous experience: not only they screwed up our orders, when my wife brought the error to their attention, the impolite waitress got in her face!!! Slow service as people were walking in and eating and we were still there waiting for our small plates. Lacking quality, this was very ordinary food and not worth the try. I wonder how this place is ranked # 1 restaurant in Bangkok by TripAdvisor!!!

The M-Club menu at Pagoda

Meh food at Pagoda - best to enjoy the M-Club grub and don't waste your time here!
happygolucky_nomad likes this.

Last edited by Kalboz; Jan 21, 2018 at 1:04 am
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist, Radisson Premium, BA Silver
At this property now after my last visit over a year ago, using 2 certs and a 5 night redemption back to back. The app had already confirmed M Suites for all the bookings. On check-n was told that they only had M Suites in the north tower available but I could have club room in the South - I went with the suite as imo it is not arduous to transfer across on the 9th floor. I do really like the change from last year to offering “light lunch” instead of afternoon tea as the options are extensive and are changed daily. Remains my Marriott property of choice for Bangkok although there are some items besides the location that are better elsewhere (1 item per night of laundry rather than pressing offered at the Ren along with a proper desk rather than a small round glass topped table).
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bailey911
Here for 5 nights. Breakfast only in the lounge. I am only a Gold but did ask if I could have it at the restaurant after being denied a room upgrade

They did say I already got upgraded since I can use the M lounge and no upgrades in room type or breakfast are allowed because I used "points".

So i did ask - If I had paid for the stay - would you upgrade me? They said yes.

It seems the 5th night free here is not very popular with the management

Its very crowded. I dont think I am coming back because of the location though. The location is the deal breaker here.
This exactly what happened to me as well. I think person who checked me in might have checked you in as well.
So we should note that If gold are staying here on points they will never get upgrades or better room.

Last edited by NoviceFT; Feb 16, 2018 at 6:12 am
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Soon to be a free agent.
How are the late night dining options in the area around the Marquis?

I have stayed at the JW the last few times and can always find some excellent street food nearby in the wee hours of the morning, but the rate is relatively high for my dates so I thought I'd look elsewhere.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: free agent
Any chance if anyone have email for concierge department (or front-desk department) so I can get thai address for taxi driver. Also, any datapoint on metered taxi fare from DMK-this hotel will be much appreciated, thanks
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
You really do not want to arrange a cab with the hotel for a ride from the airport. There are so many cabs and ride services available from the airport. There is no reason to get a hotel involved and likely pay an extra cut. Not to mention if you are having to go through Immigration at DMK can add anywhere from five minutes to four hours to your pick-up time. Likely a hour but it is unpredictable.

If you turn left as you walk away from baggage claim but are still in the building and walk to the end of the airport, there will be lines for you to get a slip to get a cab. This is usually a very fast process. I cannot remember having to wait more than a minute. (DMK is not some third world airport like AOO where you are stuck 23 miles away from the city out in Martinsburg in some cornfield where there may be no cab.) If you want to call Uber that will work, too, just be sure you are clear on the pick-up point Uber will take a little longer. There are also car services that are more expensive. Some people like those.

The FT Thai travel forum has a thread that gives information for getting a taxi and one about DMK. Both are on the first page, towards the top.

Including the 50THB pickup fee a taxi should be about 330THB. (~$10.50 USD)
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:13 am
alc

Originally Posted by washeelers747
Any chance if anyone have email for concierge department (or front-desk department) so I can get thai address for taxi driver. Also, any datapoint on metered taxi fare from DMK-this hotel will be much appreciated, thanks
Here is where I got their email address:

https://bangkokmarriottmarquisqueens...ng/contact-us/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.