Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations email:
[email protected]
Duty manager: [email protected]

April 2017 Photos - see posts 45-51

From website: In Executive Lounge no children below 12 years allowed after 7pm and smart casual attire is required-no shorts/slippers

As of 2023, shorts seem to have been removed from the lounge dress code exclusion. ElevatorEnthusiast definitely wore them.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...e-south-beach/

Opening December 2016. Category 8. Website says there's an exec lounge, presumably open daily.

"Located in Singapore's vibrant and historic Civic District, JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach is walking distance from City Hall MRT Station and 20-minutes away from Changi International Airport.

A landmark in the heart of Singapore, JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach is located in close proximity to the Marina Bay entertainment and business districts as well as linked by aerobridge to Suntec Singapore Convention and Exhibition Centre.

The luxury hotel features 634 spacious guest rooms including 47 suites, 2 sky gardens, and a wide array of contemporary art pieces from renowned artists. Enhanced with the intuitive service and enriching culinary offerings of the JW Marriott brand with 9 exciting food and beverage outlets including a specialty restaurant featuring world renowned and award- winning Chef Akira Back."
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Wow ... that looks awesome. Two great new hotels between this one and the French Leave Resort.

On a random date, in February the rate was around 475 SGD or $350 US. Not sure how that compares to the market but it looks nice.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great looking pool, high room count means not as high rates

hotel opened a year ago (not under marriott)
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
great looking pool, high room count means not as high rates

hotel opened a year ago (not under marriott)
Not really, the price was comparable to the Marina Bay Sands.

Posted this news article in another thread.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ritz carlton also has a lot of rooms, so is a lot less than if it had many fewer

(shangri la valley wing and raffles for example have many fewer rooms)

edit - i guess i should avoid making comments within context of luxury (only)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 2, 2016 at 9:23 am
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Picked a date in Feb:

Marriott $330US
JW Marriott $350US
Ritz Carlton $375US (RC does not participate in RC or MR)

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, I look forward to the first trip report on this property after it opens in December.

Cheers.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Picked a date in Feb:

Marriott $330US
JW Marriott $350US
Ritz Carlton $375US (RC does not participate in RC or MR)

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, I look forward to the first trip report on this property after it opens in December.

Cheers.
Looks like rates are only available from 1st January 2017 onwards. Lowest I've seen so far is S$346 per night (Advanced Purchase). After taxes it would be S$407...
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Marriott press release today:

http://news.marriott.com/2016/12/jw-...uts-singapore/

Excerpt:

"JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, the global luxury brand that is part of Marriott International’s (NASDAQ: MAR) luxury brands portfolio, is thrilled to debut the new JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach – the brand’s first hotel in Singapore. Located in close proximity to the Marina Bay entertainment and business districts, the new 634-room luxury hotel is poised to become an iconic lifestyle destination in the heart of Singapore’s arts and culture district.

The hotel consists of both historic and newly constructed buildings with interiors designed by renowned French designer Philippe Starck and architecture by award-winning British architects, Foster and Partners. Complemented by a multi-million dollar collection of more than 30 works and installations by regionally and internationally acclaimed artists, guests can expect enriching and multi-sensory cultural experiences throughout the hotel.

Upon arrival, guests are greeted by a 7-metre video wall installation by South Korean artist Lee Lee Nam. The wall brings art to life through movement and technology with the use of the LED monitors as a canvas to create an artistic symphony.

Additional works include the Donna a Cavallo, a lobby sculpture by the acclaimed Fernando Botero, and the Gorilla, a reclaimed scrap metal sculpture at the hotel entrance by Turner Prize winner Iain Nutting. Guest elevators are also an artistic expression with custom RGB wallpaper, and graffiti artwork by Milan-based art and design duo Carnovsky.

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach will feature a total of nine dining options. Five outlets will open on 15 December 2016 including Akira Back, by celebrity chef Akira Back, which offers modern Japanese cuisine with Korean accents and culinary influences from around the world; Beach Road Kitchen, an all-day-dining restaurant, featuring global cuisine and to-go items; Court Martial Bar and Media Bar, offering cocktails in refined lounge and gastropub settings; and Tonic, serving gin-based cocktails in an intimate environment. The remaining four outlets will open second quarter 2017.

The property also features a variety of wellness offerings including Spa by JW (opening second quarter 2017). JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach also boasts an outdoor infinity pool, sky garden and a 24-hour fitness centre at Flow18.

Each of the 634 guest rooms and 17 suites are fitted with a full array of modern amenities and smart technology including an Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) system, up to seven USB power sockets per room, and a Wi-Fi-enabled mobile phone that allows guests to receive calls anywhere within the property."
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:55 pm

Wonder if anybody gonna do a stay this month, rates are loaded for December.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Anyone stayed here yet? Thinking of trying this and cancelling the Conrad for New Year's stay. I am Marriott Gold. Thinking using points and saving some cash. Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Wonder if anybody gonna do a stay this month, rates are loaded for December.
I was supposed to....actually was supposed to be arriving tomorrow but the trip was scratched . This property looks great, and I am really looking forward to a FTer's review.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG/Marriott/RC Gold
Just completed a one night stay there, overall was fairly happy as a Marriott gold member.

I checked-in around 6pm and was the only person checking in at the lobby at that time. I was informed that the hotel had only opened 12 days prior to my arrival and everything looked new and chic. My flight the next day wasn't until past midnight, so I proactively inquired about a 4pm checkout; the agent, Kevin, countered with a 6pm checkout, which was surprising and very accommodating. I was also upgraded to a premier room, though on the fifth floor, so the view was dismal, but the room was spacious. Highlights of the stay were definitely the staff (everyone I encountered was friendly and accommodating), the views from the fitness center, infinity pool, and lounge space on the 18th floor, and the modern feel of the hotel.

Minor quibbles:
  • I was told at check-in that the lounge had a "smart casual" dress code; I arrived in shorts and flip-flops having just gotten in from Koh Samui, so I assumed that was the reason for the gentle reminder. Therefore, it was a little annoying to have changed for the lounge, only to see people in bath slippers, shorts, athletic wear, etc., and families with small kids running around. Wouldn't have given it a second thought if I hadn't been told about the apparent policy in the first place.
  • Lounge spread was fairly decent for evening canapes; given I wasn't very hungry, I didn't need to go out for dinner after my stop there. Service in the club that evening was a miss though--I was one of maybe five people there and it took about forty minutes for anyone to check on me after I was served my first drink at my table.
  • While I enjoyed breakfast (which was served in the lounge), I definitely noticed that a couple of the offerings were the same from canapes the night before. I wasn't too put off by that, though others may be.
  • The room is well-appointed and very modern, but it took me a good five minutes to figure out how to turn off all the lights via the various switches. In addition, the toilet/bidet is apparently remote controlled, though I never got mine to work.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:52 am
Suspended

what is JW Marriott Brand's position? Is it luxury, as a step down to Four Seasons, Ritz and MO, but still relevant? Or it is in between upscale like Grand Hyatt and Luxury like Park Hyatt?

Does JW 's major competitor are IC and Conrad and Grand Hyatt?

The average room numbers of JW properties are around 400~500 rooms. Some JW has only 200 rooms, but some are mega and having 800~1000 rooms, Since JW is Marriott's Premium Luxury brand except for Ritz, I am just curious, because normally very luxury hotel does not have so many rooms.

Is JW more exlusive than IC? Since there are 180 and more IC in the world but only 75 JW.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vince Chan
what is JW Marriott Brand's position? Is it luxury, as a step down to Four Seasons, Ritz and MO, but still relevant? Or it is in between upscale like Grand Hyatt and Luxury like Park Hyatt?

Does JW 's major competitor are IC and Conrad and Grand Hyatt?

The average room numbers of JW properties are around 400~500 rooms. Some JW has only 200 rooms, but some are mega and having 800~1000 rooms, Since JW is Marriott's Premium Luxury brand except for Ritz, I am just curious, because normally very luxury hotel does not have so many rooms.

Is JW more exlusive than IC? Since there are 180 and more IC in the world but only 75 JW.
You created a stand-alone thread w/ your questions, so not sure why you posted in a property specific thread w/ generic questions. We try (for the most part) to keep property threads on properties. Presumably your generic thread will get input. PS - Welcome to FT!

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.