Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz/Marriott/SPG link

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:26 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lavajava
I have linked Marriott and SPG accounts, to Platinum due to SPG. Next membership year, I will slip down to SPG Gold - I assume this means matches across to Marriott Gold? The reason I ask is that Marriott Gold benefits are a little better than SPG's for example, Lounge access.
You are correct. Once you have linked your accounts you will continue to have the highest elite level between the two, matched to the other.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
You are correct. Once you have linked your accounts you will continue to have the highest elite level between the two, matched to the other.
Perfect, thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: UA MM, DL, Marriott Plat, CO, SW
Cool Watch your Chase card bill

Here's an interesting glitch in the SPG/Marriott merger. As a newly-minted SPG plat, I booked a two-night stay at the SLS Las Vegas, a Starwood property, at the start of November. Paid with my Chase Marriott card.

When I got my monthly credit card bill Saturday, I noticed that I got only one point per dollar for the SLS charges. (Marriott sent an email in October offering five points per dollar at Starwood properties, equal to Marriott.) When I inquired on the Chase secure message line, I was told the SLS was registered by Visa as a Hilton Hotel!

After asking for a reconsideration, I eventually got the other four points per dollar.....along with a note from Chase saying they cannot control how the property owner lists his property with VISA. This problem might be confined to the SLS, and hopefully it is not a bug in the merger. But it might be worthwhile to check your credit card statement carefully, especially after using the Marriott card at a Starwood property, to make certain you're truly getting the five points promised.l
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bucksmith2000
Here's an interesting glitch in the SPG/Marriott merger. As a newly-minted SPG plat, I booked a two-night stay at the SLS Las Vegas, a Starwood property, at the start of November. Paid with my Chase Marriott card.

When I got my monthly credit card bill Saturday, I noticed that I got only one point per dollar for the SLS charges. (Marriott sent an email in October offering five points per dollar at Starwood properties, equal to Marriott.) When I inquired on the Chase secure message line, I was told the SLS was registered by Visa as a Hilton Hotel!

After asking for a reconsideration, I eventually got the other four points per dollar.....along with a note from Chase saying they cannot control how the property owner lists his property with VISA. This problem might be confined to the SLS, and hopefully it is not a bug in the merger. But it might be worthwhile to check your credit card statement carefully, especially after using the Marriott card at a Starwood property, to make certain you're truly getting the five points promised.l
SLS was a Hilton less than a year ago. They probably never updated it with VISA. I wonder if you use Amex SPG, do you get 1 point or 2 points?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:06 pm

I've have got sgp gold member 10hr ago. So its mean that i can get the benefit when i going to stay at the ritz right? And i just check with my. The ritz member
It apperes that my reward member. Is still normal. Its not upgrade to gold yet !!
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Punnaphob
I've have got sgp gold member 10hr ago. So its mean that i can get the benefit when i going to stay at the ritz right? And i just check with my. The ritz member
It apperes that my reward member. Is still normal. Its not upgrade to gold yet !!
Gold or PLT at a RC means very little in practice other than bonus points on the room rate only. Likely not to get lounge access or upgraded. Sorry.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Punnaphob
If I'm reading this correctly, your SPG status was recently elevated to SPG Gold Preferred, but your Rewards status has not been matched to Rewards Gold Elite.

There are four different possibilities why this is so:
  • You had not yet waited long when you posted, but the next day everything was fine (and you have not come back to update this thread).
  • You have some sort of promotional Gold status with SPG, not earned Gold status as required for Status Match.
  • You did not successfully link your SPG and Rewards accounts through http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...my-accounts.mi
  • Something has genuinely gone wrong, and you need to contact Customer Support.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:20 pm
Suspended

spg POINT transfer

Hello!

Just wonder if I transfer SPG points to my Marriott Rewards Account, are those transferred points (spg points*3) be counted toward my lifetime points earned at Marriott?

Thanks a lot!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kikid
Hello!

Just wonder if I transfer SPG points to my Marriott Rewards Account, are those transferred points (spg points*3) be counted toward my lifetime points earned at Marriott?

Thanks a lot!
The short answer is no.

See this thread for a more detailed reply: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-question.html
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I have an SPG AMEX on no other SPG status. That means I'm a Preferred Plus member with SPG. I linked my accounts a few months ago and received Silver status with Marriott, which was showing as late as last week. Today I logged in to make a reservation and I'm just "Member," yet my accounts still show they are linked.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
I have an SPG AMEX on no other SPG status. That means I'm a Preferred Plus member with SPG. I linked my accounts a few months ago and received Silver status with Marriott, which was showing as late as last week. Today I logged in to make a reservation and I'm just "Member," yet my accounts still show they are linked.

Anyone else have this problem?
Yes, similar situation.

I have an Amex Platinum, and therefore SPG Gold. At the Marriott/SPG merger, I used the match to improve my Marriott Elite from Silver to Gold.

I logged in today and saw I was back down to Silver.

I called Customer Service. The helpful CSR basically said that Marriott updated everyone's status (based on stays) over the past weekend and there may be some that got downgraded. Everyone's account should reflect the highest level attained between Marriott and SPG. She said she could see that I'm SPG gold, and that I should still have Marriott gold. She suggested that I give it a couple of days.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
I had the same issue. I am Lifetime Gold with SPG, and I linked my accounts last year. I had Marriott Gold, but I was Silver when I signed in on February 27 to make a reservation. I contacted Marriott Customer Service and got the following response:

I apologize to mention that the Starwood Preferred Guest and the Marriott Rewards are being operated separately at the current time. Various processes between the two programs do not happen at the same time.

The Starwood Preferred Guest status downgrades for 2017 will occur on 01 March 2017. The Marriott Rewards status downgrades for 2017 occurred on 26 February 2017. Until 03 March 2017, automatic status matching between the two programs is disabled. I further apologize for any inconvenience.

Once automatic status matching is re-enabled, as long as your status with the Starwood Preferred Guest program is not downgraded, you will receive an automatic status match within 24-48 hours.
Even though the response mentions "automatic status matching," it's not clear if the link will need to be reestablished on March 3. Either way, it's not a unique situation, and not pressing in my case, because the reservation I was making was for August. However, SPG and Marriott should have considered the issues this lack of harmonization could have created for any SPG elite staying at a Marriott between February 26 and March 3.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:58 am

*Update*
I called Marriott and was told that they are no longer matching SPG Gold status if that status was earned through a promotion or through a credit card (Amex Platinum).

I'd like to hear if anyone else was in the same boat (Amex Platinum -> SPG and Marriott Gold) and if they've also been downgraded by Marriott.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:59 am

Just finally got around to linking my accounts. Had an issue initially where I received a message, "linking service is down." Retried a few minutes later and it worked.

Now just noticing the sticker shock with some SPG category redemption rates. Essentially 120k MR points for a 2 night stay this weekend at W Hoboken, vs 90k JW Essex House, 100k Madison Ave Edition, 90k Algonquin Times Square.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nova08
Now just noticing the sticker shock with some SPG category redemption rates. Essentially 120k MR points for a 2 night stay this weekend at W Hoboken, vs 90k JW Essex House, 100k Madison Ave Edition, 90k Algonquin Times Square.
That's the flip side of the 3:1 points conversion ratio MR:SPG. Many of the legacy SPG properties are now extremely expensive compared to the top legacy MR properties when using points.

The 3:1 ratio is great for my existing SPG points balance in terms of the value I can get when using converted SPG points at MR properties. However, going forward I suspect that the MR points earning rates will be unchanged and it will become very difficult to earn free nights at the top legacy SPG properties.

Another potential problem is that the top MR properties might want to play a bit of "me too" and raise their rates to better compare to the new higher level redemption costs of the high category SPG properties.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Mar 7, 2017 at 10:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.