Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz/Marriott/SPG link

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
What are the pluses on not merging?

I'm SPG LT Plat....can someone point out the downside of merging the accounts now?
Also will I now have to re-qualify for Plat year after year again?
Color me confused.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I'm SPG LT Plat....can someone point out the downside of merging the accounts now?
Also will I now have to re-qualify for Plat year after year again?
Color me confused.
As of now, you're not merging accounts, you are simply linking them. I cannot discern a single downside to doing that, since you'll then become a Marriott Platinum immediately, just like I became an SPG Platinum right away.

Requalification for 2018 and beyond is still to be announced.

--woodstock
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:30 am

I wonder if Marriott will be stricter about 75 nights this year!? I have skated in the last couple years. I better crank up a "meeting" or two to make sure I am over 75 at year end!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:39 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Glad this merger is finally done with... Yet the endless speculation and grumbling in the SPG forum continues. [and this is coming from a very passionate SPG member]

I skimmed through the linking T&Cs and got it for the most part, but was wondering if there was any downside to linking. I'm Plat with SPG and requalified for it again three weeks ago through to February 2018 which, hypothetically, should keep my status alive with them until the programs are rolled together. Based on the T&Cs, linking statuses enables me to Plat with MR/RC for my relevant period, which means 02/2018... No bad thing right?

Perhaps the more seasoned among us can chime in, but is there any reason NOT to link programs? [FWIW, I plan on staying with SPG as much as I can in the immediate term, for what it's worth... But there are a few choice Marriott-family properties out there that could get my business.]

Cheers!

khabah
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:13 am
phb

Originally Posted by lhs323
Please explain the basis for only matching Marriott Platinums (requiring 75 nights) to SPG Platinum 25 Stay Status rather than SPG Platinum 50 Night Status. How is it fair to deny Marriott Platinums the ability to use SPG Suite Night Awards given that Marriott Platinum requires 25 more nights than SPG Platinum 50 Night Status?
When I look at my nights in Marriott to maintain my Plat status I find that although I've 102 nights showing, 10 were from the credit card, about 30 were carried over from last year and effectively double counted. Most of the rest were inflated by the non-US 'double nights' promotion.

It's a difficult comparison.

Just sayin'.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by khabah
Glad this merger is finally done with... Yet the endless speculation and grumbling in the SPG forum continues. [and this is coming from a very passionate SPG member]

I skimmed through the linking T&Cs and got it for the most part, but was wondering if there was any downside to linking. I'm Plat with SPG and requalified for it again three weeks ago through to February 2018 which, hypothetically, should keep my status alive with them until the programs are rolled together. Based on the T&Cs, linking statuses enables me to Plat with MR/RC for my relevant period, which means 02/2018... No bad thing right?

Perhaps the more seasoned among us can chime in, but is there any reason NOT to link programs? [FWIW, I plan on staying with SPG as much as I can in the immediate term, for what it's worth... But there are a few choice Marriott-family properties out there that could get my business.]

Cheers!

khabah
Agreed - I don't see the downside either (going the other way from Marriott to SPG). Just means that I can stay at either SPG or Marriott now and get recognition and presumably will receive combined stay credit for 2018 (only need 23 nights as is between now and end of 2017 to requalify for 2018 so just means more properties to choose from)
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:32 am

Has there been any announcements on how the life time status will merge?
(Will it be higher of? Combined stats with new goals? Start from scratch?)

I am close-ish to life time Plat on SPG, and just starting with MR. I wonder if there is gossip about how the combined programs will treat life time tiers. (Because that may impact how I spent the travel nights this and next year...)

Edit: Never mind, just found this at http://members.marriott.com/faq/#if-...k-my-accounts:

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018.
I.e. no word yet. But this is going to be the most important provision I will be on the look out for.

Last edited by 3dot14; Sep 23, 2016 at 9:35 am Reason: Found answer.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
The match is loop sided toward the SPG members.

I completely understand why they did it (heck, every Marriott Gold will stay in SPG hotels otherwise - and the size difference cannot probably withstand giving Platinum benefits to MR Golds). But it is still looped sided.

The bad new here, is if that is a sign of things to come I'll predict that in the combined programs:
1. Platinum qualifications will be legacy Marriott.
2. Gold benefits will be legacy SPG.

And if that is really the case, then loyalty for hotels (whatever was left of it), will be gone like those of the airlines.
Sounds like I will book more Starwood hotels by the end of the year with Triple SPG promotion. That is a fair transfer rate considering how stingy SPG points but how much more valuable it is.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: National Executive Elite
I would start staying at SPG properties, but I don't see where my nights will count toward my Marriott tier status
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:08 am

Redemption in China: MR >> SPG

Despite what people think redemption is vastly favored towards SPG members, redemption in China and in some other Asian destinations is actually very good for Marriott Rewards. While I am contemplating to get the SPG hotels in Guangzhou for November, I am thinking if I should just use the certificate to get the free night of hotel.

Just some different perspective when it comes to redemption. However, this gives us an awful prediction that the merged program is going to get worse.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:10 am

Question - I'm Plat in both programs. Will my stay counts be added together to meet my 75 stay balance if I link?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Think I'll be staying at SPG more as well. Also been holding off on the SPG AMEX since 25K SPG points didn't seem like much. Being able to convert them to 75K MR points makes it a much better deal for me.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
There is a good FB live on the points guy with both leaders of the programs on this topic. Found it to be useful/interesting.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:57 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
RC and Edition award availability lacking?

So I've tried to search for some high tier Edition and Ritz-Carlton award stays using MR points...and found most are unavailable--even though what look to be standard entry level rooms are available for cash.

In every case where the RC or Edition is not available on an award, the comparable SPG options are ALWAYS available for an award: StR, LuxColl, and W.

Can any MR/RC elite members speak to this? Is this normal?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
That was smooth in terms of linking and status match!

Now ... balancing checking out SPG properties and making sure I don't lose PP status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.