Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Tried to Compliment an Employee and Got Blown Off

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tried to Compliment an Employee and Got Blown Off

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2016, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm a bit confused on how naming the property that has good employees is 'shaming the property'.

Yeah the brusque response to you doesn't reflect well on the GM. He could be a jerk or he could have had something important to do. So any shame, even if naming the property, is on him & not the employees.

But because you haven't named the property, some of us might now miss out on staying at it & experiencing the excellent customer service you experienced from those employees (and if the GM is to be believed, other employees at his property).

Cheers.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
@OP - if you want to praise an employee, enter him/her into spirit to serve award at Marriott insiders.

The GM will have to approve it and you'll know if they get the award and this will help their career too!

Another thing I'll do is to write to corporate because I like to let them know how their associates are doing, both positive and negative.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
We wouldn't know, as you haven't named the property.
And if the property were named you'd be familiar with the HR policies there?

This bash the OP for failing to name a property when in fact naming the property has minimal to no relevance to the discussion thing makes no sense to me. Most of the arguments always seem to come down to "I want to know for reasons that have nothing to do with the original question."

So far we've gotten some excellent advice and comments even without the property name.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bennos
And if the property were named you'd be familiar with the HR policies there.
No. Why the others are asking is because they've stayed at just about every MR property that is affiliated/run/franchised/etc. - and might have some background on a given property in a given location in a given country.

As others have indicated, might there be something cultural? The company that runs the property? The specific GM? Gender? etc.

Or, perhaps, this becomes an indicator for others on FT to watch out at that property in the future - being forewarned surely can't hurt.

It is clearly up to the OP to let us know but having a better contextual picture would help others.

David
Old Sep 11, 2016, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by DELee
No. Why the others are asking is because they've stayed at just about every MR property that is affiliated/run/franchised/etc. - and might have some background on a given property in a given location in a given country.

As others have indicated, might there be something cultural? The company that runs the property? The specific GM? Gender? etc.

Or, perhaps, this becomes an indicator for others on FT to watch out at that property in the future - being forewarned surely can't hurt.

It is clearly up to the OP to let us know but having a better contextual picture would help others.

David
Exactly.

Given the OP started the conversation with saying the employees are great (at least 2 of them), I'd want to know which property is (and I quote) "a really nice well run property" so I could potentially stay there. It's a little hard to do that if I don't know the name of the property.

Cheers.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Exactly.

Given the OP started the conversation with saying the employees are great (at least 2 of them), I'd want to know which property is (and I quote) "a really nice well run property" so I could potentially stay there. It's a little hard to do that if I don't know the name of the property.

Cheers.
I am with SkiAdcock.
This " political Correctness" and its offshoots are a PITA. If you feel you don't want to let us know, don't start a thread like this. I am a Lifetime Plat and 90 % of my satys are at Marriotts...FF to J Ws.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:51 am

I don't have a problem w/ someone starting a thread asking for advice.

My problem in this instance is the OP mentioned this is a well-run property w/ good employees (at least 2) & was simply irritated w/ the GM for not acknowledging his compliment. I'd like to know the name of the property because I'd prefer to stay at one that is well run & has good employees, & thus I see no need to withhold the name. Odds are I wouldn't be interacting w/ the GM, but w/ the employees.

Even in instances of complaints I prefer to know the name of the property. Sometimes things get screwed up, but it's how a property handles the screw up that determines whether one stays there in future. When property names are mentioned (for good or bad), others can say yeah I had great experiences there too, or I had problems there too so stay away, or I've had good experiences there & it sounds like your bad experience was a one-off so don't knock it off your list. But in order to get an over-all picture one needs to know which properties are being referred to.

I am not enamored of someone saying I have a problem, what type of compensation should I get, but I'm not going to mention the property because it gives me leverage w/ the property to get more out of them. To me those are the type of threads that shouldn't be created. But that wasn't the case in this instance, so I don't understand not naming the property.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Sep 17, 2016 at 9:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.