FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Megabonus Fall 2016 (9/15/16-1/15/17) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1787625-megabonus-fall-2016-9-15-16-1-15-17-a.html)

fmkgb Aug 29, 2016 8:16 am

Megabonus Fall 2016 (9/15/16-1/15/17)

Received following email today. Seems to be a big difference in the promos. By Marriott offering that the guest choose their own promo in advance, this may be a way for Marriott to discontinue allowing Platinums the unwritten benefit of changing their promo during the promotional period.

Marriott Rewards NewFall MegaBonus Promotion: “Choose Your Path” to Earn More Points for Travel Experiences

For the first time, Marriott Rewards members will be able to choose one of two ways to earn up to 50,000 bonus points in the loyalty program’s fall MegaBonus promotion – “Choose Your Path.” Starting on September 1, members who register for the promotion will be able to select the bonus earning option that best reflects the way they travel.

By registering here, both new and current Marriott Rewards members can opt in to the promotion of their choice.

Option 1: Earn 10,000 bonus points for every 10 nights, up to 50,000 bonus points

Option 2: Earn 5,000 bonus points after the second stay (max 5,000 bonus points)

The MegaBonus is open to all Marriott Rewards members as well as new enrollees during the promotion period.

Registration dates: September 1, 2016 through December 15, 2016
Earnings dates: September 15, 2016 through January 15, 2017
Participating brands include: JW Marriott®, EDITION®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® Hotels, AC Hotels by Marriott(SM), Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, Gaylord Hotels®, Courtyard by Marriott®, SpringHill Suites by Marriott®, Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott®, Residence Inn by Marriott®, TownePlace Suites by Marriott®, Moxy and Marriott Vacation Club®. The Ritz-Carlton® participates as the exclusive luxury partner to Marriott Rewards
Marriott Rewards members who book direct via Marriott.com, Marriott’s mobile app and 1-800-MARRIOTT can enjoy program benefits including exclusive Member Rates, free Wi-Fi, and take full advantage of the Marriott Mobile app, including mobile check-in and check-out, and mobile requests for select properties.

Marriott Rewards is free to join. To enroll or learn more about the program, visit www.MarriottRewards.com.

MSPeconomist Aug 29, 2016 8:26 am

I'm having some trouble understanding the big paragraph.

Do they mean that RC stays don't count for this promo but they do earn MR points as usual?

Also, do they mean that elites cannot use the PP or Plat phone numbers, for example, to get full benefits on reservations but must instead call the general Marriott toll free number and wait on hold for a poorly trained agent? Also, what about using the Marriott overseas numbers?

SkiAdcock Aug 29, 2016 8:41 am

My interpretation is that RC stays do count & for some reason they're just noting RC is in the luxury part of Marriott brands. It does say RC "participates".

Re: the phone #s, etc. That's the same generic benefit verbiage they use to get people to book Marriott direct. Contacting Marriott via any of its official phone #s, whether domestic or in'tl, will work.

Cheers.

robbierob03 Aug 29, 2016 9:49 am

So it'll now take fifty paid nights to get the max bonus this period? As in basically doubling the typical 25 - 30 night requirement for promos past, with the same number of megabonus points? I travel weekly for work and with four nights a week I'm not even sure I can hit it with holidays. Methinks the marketing department has a somewhat diminished budget this go round.

SkiAdcock Aug 29, 2016 10:31 am

Even the lower end promo isn't that great.

Cheers.

Duke787 Aug 29, 2016 11:07 am

Originally Posted by robbierob03 (Post 27134763)
So it'll now take fifty paid nights to get the max bonus this period? As in basically doubling the typical 25 - 30 night requirement for promos past, with the same number of megabonus points? I travel weekly for work and with four nights a week I'm not even sure I can hit it with holidays. Methinks the marketing department has a somewhat diminished budget this go round.

Agreed - I'd rather they go the Hilton route and just offer straight double points.

This likely seals the deal for me going Hilton the rest of the year unless Hyatt comes out with something interesting - especially with Plat already locked up.

goodeats21 Aug 29, 2016 12:21 pm

Nothing showing up in my account yet, and no email received. Wonder if they are the same promos for everyone, or if there will be different versions.

Am I understanding the Option 2 correctly? Stay once, on second stay receive 5,000 bonus points, and then finished? Max 5,000 points?

Quite the spread in promotions.

jm1991 Aug 29, 2016 12:38 pm

Although the end option is not that great I think I'll go with that since I don't think I'll be able to complete 10 nights. Wish the cap was maybe 10 or 20k and earn 5k after every 2nd stay.

dudestir Aug 29, 2016 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by robbierob03 (Post 27134763)

Is their IT department smart enough to distinguish between paid and double elite nights? If not this will cut the days in half until the end of the year.

YoungBubbie Aug 29, 2016 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 27135607)
Nothing showing up in my account yet, and no email received. Wonder if they are the same promos for everyone, or if there will be different versions.

Am I understanding the Option 2 correctly? Stay once, on second stay receive 5,000 bonus points, and then finished? Max 5,000 points?

Quite the spread in promotions.

Although I was able to register it states registration starts September 1.

IMO it's one the weakest promos yet.

Even though everyone complains about those category 5 certificates, I really liked that last confusing mega where you got both points and certificate.

aaupgrade Aug 29, 2016 3:20 pm

No Protea hotels which means I come up 1 night short at 19 nights vs 21 nights. :(

YoungBubbie Aug 29, 2016 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by aaupgrade (Post 27136563)
No Protea hotels which means I come up 1 night short at 19 nights vs 21 nights. :(

Not sure about that. From what I read it's only reward nights and owner MVC stays that don't count.

As usual it's Marriot, so it's confusing.

rylan Aug 30, 2016 5:43 am

Very poor megabonus this time. 50 nights to hit the max? And reduced overall earn across all levels of night stays? No thanks.

Long Distance Aug 30, 2016 8:23 am

As Duke says above - Hilton and DOUBLE points on EVERY stay it is.

Memo to Marriott's marketing department. Go back to school and study what it takes to MOTIVATE your consumer.

igoncrazy Aug 30, 2016 9:38 am

Wonder why promotion based on 10 nights interval? If person plans to stay 23 nights, person may try to find reason to get to 25 nights. However, person is unlikely to find reason to go from 23 nights to 30 nights. Person may actually reduce stays to 20 nights.

Just seems to be an odd way to market a promotion.