Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eStandby and Plat status

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
eStandby and Plat status

Received an email recently from the Lexington/Autograph offering an eStandby upgrade, for a charge beginning at $88 if an upgrade is available at check-in.

I've seen threads that this is offered at Hilton and Hyatt but the upgrades are complementary for top tier. Here ... I'm a Plat Premier so while I appreciate hotel economics, this seems contrary to the promised elite benefits.

As for economics, this is a hotel I stay at a couple of times a year but often pick other NYC hotels. In contrast, there are other hotels I stay at several times a year in other cities because they are reliable upgrade hotels. I suppose its a matter of short term vs the bigger picture.

Anyone else seen this at other Marriott properties?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I would contact Marriott HQ. That is contrary to Marriott policy & they should be made aware of it.

Cheers.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:10 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
I've seen a few hotels trying this on recently (St Ermins in London recently tried this with me). When I check in and they comment about did you want the upgrade, my usual response is "Yes as a PP I'll have my complimentary upgrade. Thank You, it's very much appreciated."

T
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I got a similar email a few days before a stay at the Marriott Savannah Riverfront last month telling me I could secure a river view room starting from a charge of $45 per night. I ignored the email and was upgraded to a corner room at check-in.

IIRC I have been getting similar emails from resorts and NYC hotels for a while now. What concerns me is when these upgrade offers are presented at check-in to non-elites and elites are denied upgrades so these rooms can be sold! This has become a more frequent occurrence in my recent travels not just at resorts, but at F/S hotels trying to sell concierge level rooms.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:17 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OU812
IIRC I have been getting similar emails from resorts and NYC hotels for a while now. What concerns me is when these upgrade offers are presented at check-in to non-elites and elites are denied upgrades so these rooms can be sold! This has become a more frequent occurrence in my recent travels not just at resorts, but at F/S hotels trying to sell concierge level rooms.
Definitely agree. If they are offering a pre-checkin upgrade, fine, even a Plat or PP might want to guarantee an upgrade earlier for $$$. But if the upgrade isn't going to occur until checkin, then there is a problem.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by toothy
I've seen a few hotels trying this on recently (St Ermins in London recently tried this with me). When I check in and they comment about did you want the upgrade, my usual response is "Yes as a PP I'll have my complimentary upgrade. Thank You, it's very much appreciated."

T
That would be my response as well.

Originally Posted by OU812

Regards,

RIP...
Not unique to Marriott either. I stayed at the Vienna (Austria) Stadtpark Hilton a few years ago as Hilton Gold. Checked in & pre-upgraded to exec level, which meant access to exec lounge (Hilton doesn't offer free exec lounge access to Golds unless you're on the exec level, unlike Marriott). Non-elite couple next to me was offered upgrade to exec level for "X" Euros/night. Can't remember if they accepted.

Most of the time exec level rooms don't have much more than regular rooms (mouthwash, maybe a robe) & Marriott elites have access to the exec lounge, re: if on exec level or not.

If a hotel pre-upgrades elites & has exec level rooms left over to try & up sell non-elites that's just bizness/attempt to get some more revenue. If it's in lieu of upgrading elites, that's troublesome (and really most of the time no way for us to know).

Up selling to non-elites doesn't bother me as much as trying to up sell elites at check-in, which is not compliant w/ Marriott policy & should be reported. Agree w/ hhoope01 that some elites might want to guarantee the upgrade & would accept the offer when they receive the email vs. taking a chance*. But at check-in an elite should never be hit w/ a would you like to upgrade for X.

* How many times have FTers said to others, well if you want to guarantee the upgrade then pay for it.

Cheers.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Straight out of the United Airlines playbook, which sadly other airlines started to follow. I avoid Autograph hotels because of their lack of consistency with following Marriott rules.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
This happened to me too - I asked for Platinum upgrade and the hotel said that you could pay X to get "guaranteed" suite upgrade, and complimentary upgrade won't upgrade to a real suite.

At Hamburg Marriott - I have seen posters inside the hotel upselling non-elites for executive rooms upgrade. Why give them out for free if you can get some money for it?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore
I avoid Autograph hotels because of their lack of consistency with following Marriott rules.
Which rules? We've had reports of brekkie, upgrades, & i-net on the forum.

Cheers.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Which rules? We've had reports of brekkie, upgrades, & i-net on the forum.

Cheers.
I had problems with an upgrade and internet at the Winter Haven. Refused upgrade despite availability and I had t explain the premium internet policy. I can't remember the other hotel I had a similar problem at.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore
I had problems with an upgrade and internet at the Winter Haven. Refused upgrade despite availability and I had t explain the premium internet policy. I can't remember the other hotel I had a similar problem at.
I'm not sure that's specific to Autograph Collection, although I agree it's irritating.

Cheers.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
ts not surprising... both airlines and hotels are all actively selling upgrades for cheap as opposed to providing them to elites. Makes it mean less to be a Plat.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: MR rewards
The new eStandby Upgrade® programme

Hi ..
Just got this email from the London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square ,

Need your opinion on the new eStandby Upgrade® programme
Old Oct 16, 2016, 10:58 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
What eStandby Upgrade programme?
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:08 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...at-status.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.