Barking Dog Policy?

Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Finkface
Sadly, this thought came from a friend's experience last year. His sister was in her bathroom, got dizzy, fell and hit her head on the granite counter on the way down. She was found 10 days later along with her dog who had also died (it was summer in Maryland, so oppressively hot - dog died of thirst/starvation). When asked, her neighbors said they wondered why her dog had been barking for hours at a time, on and off for days but it eventually stopped so they didn't think anymore of it. Never even thought to investigate.
I am so sorry for your friend. What a horrible situation.

Originally Posted by artyam
Definitely post a review on Tripadvisor!
That would require the OP naming the property. Oh wait, he's willing to do that after he gets compensation per his post above

So I applaud his (eventual) decision to walk his talk & leave the property but don't respect much the not naming the property.

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by tentseller
I had that happen to me once upon a time. I called FD and knock on the room's door. It was obvious that the dog was left alone. FD said they could not do anything.

A call to the local police and SPCA solved the problem in a very timely manner.
I applaud your resolution although wonder why the police and SPCA would bother to respond. (Stupid) people leave their dogs inside and tied up outside all day long barking their heads off for no reason whatsoever. Small town on a slow day?

Maybe I need this approach for some of my neighbors here in NY but I doubt anyone would care unless past 11pm and even that's debatable with our local police response...

Happened to us at a FS last year where essentially the entire hotel's occupants took over and walked to 49ers stadium for 2 grateful dead shows. 1am and this dog was still yapping away. Called once, they acted surprised but the poor staff was overwhelmed. Closed a few doors in our massive suite and was able to mostly block it out.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:12 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi
Dogs that are well-behaved at home may be scared in a strange setting. The owner could be thinking that the dog is behaving as well as it behaves at home

But it's hardly practical for the dog owner. I am sympathetic to the dog, so please be as patient as possible!

this isn't the point at issue

the point at issue is this poorly trained dog is barking and creating a disturbance

of course it's not a dogs fault and nobody is directly malice towards the dog

selfish dog owners who don't bother training their dogs are really annoying me these days

this type of mentality just enables this behavior ("oh it's a dog, you're the one who needs to relax")

Originally Posted by Often1
Tell the FD that you are concerned about the animal's well-being and are calling the police. Hate to have uniformed officers running around disturbing guests, but if that's what the FD wants....
this is stupid

don't do this

police just make problems worse and it's a waste of resources, they have better things to deal with than frivolous 1st world problems and or a vendetta against a hotel

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
At this point I do not wish to name the hotel because I am still seeking compensation-- first, from the GM if she has the decency to actually answer my complaint, and later, from Marriott Guest Services if she does not.

Advice from others on how to effectively pursue corrective action in this case is appreciated.
ughhhhhhh just name the property it's just flyertalk
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The property in question is the Residence Inn Fairfax Merrifield in Falls Church, VA (Washington DC metro area).
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
The property in question is the Residence Inn Fairfax Merrifield in Falls Church, VA (Washington DC metro area).
Thank you! I'll be in the area next week, fortunately I haven't booked that hotel.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 4:22 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
please keep us up to date with corporate drama

i'd email hotel gm first, give her/him 48 hours (but don't tell them you're only giving them that) then go to corporate

as a plat, even at a lower end of the tier property, you're entitled quite a bit. especially that you asked several times. i'd go off what a plat who was walked from the property would be entitled (90 000+100usd right?)

or am i being too extreme

Last edited by cur; Jun 9, 2016 at 4:28 am
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
I guess I'm confused ... You spent all that time and effort communicating with the front desk, why didn't you just move rooms ? That would have solved the issue immediately ..
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 4getofn
I guess I'm confused ... You spent all that time and effort communicating with the front desk, why didn't you just move rooms ? That would have solved the issue immediately ..
I booked a long stay at an extend-stay type property because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of moving rooms. (Note I chose NOT to hotel-hop, which would have earned me more points with MR's summer promotion!) In addition, I was working with clients through the afternoon. I didn't want to carve out the time to pack up, haul over to a different room, and unpack and set up there.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
Still confused ... You were willing to pack up and move to new Hotel but not willing to pack up and move to a new room ? Seems like allot more hassle to move to a complete new Hotel and reschedule all your appointments ?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
The OP has several valid complaints and he obviously thought,correctly,that by communicating with the property,that they would rectify the situation. That did not happen and he finally left.

Moving rooms may not have solved the problem either- I have been at a RI with so many dogs barking,it would have been impossible to avoid them. Now I know better than to book that location.

OP-please let us know if you get any resolution
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Still confused ... You were willing to pack up and move to new Hotel but not willing to pack up and move to a new room ? Seems like allot more hassle to move to a complete new Hotel and reschedule all your appointments ?
At that point, if the FD is unwilling to address this problem, why would you trust them to deal with any other problems that might crop up during your stay, especially if it is an extended stay like the OP's? I don't blame the OP for switching hotels. If he's going to have to move anyways, why not to a hotel where the management is more likely to take care of any possible problems?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
At that point, if the FD is unwilling to address this problem, why would you trust them to deal with any other problems that might crop up during your stay, especially if it is an extended stay like the OP's? I don't blame the OP for switching hotels. If he's going to have to move anyways, why not to a hotel where the management is more likely to take care of any possible problems?
Indeed, that was my reasoning and essentially what I stated to the FD. "If I have to bear the inconvenience of moving without compensation because of your inability to deal with the problem, I will move to another hotel."
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Update: I have left the property and moved to another hotel.

I began calling the front desk around 2pm local time with persistent barking from an unattended dog in the room across the hall. FDC stated he would "work on contacting the guest to calm the dog."

I called back around 4pm as the barking continued. FDC again stated he would "work on contacting the guest to calm the dog."

I went to the front desk in person at 5pm and again 5:30pm as still nothing had been done. FDC explained that the guest was not answering his/her cell phone and nothing could be done.

"Where's the manager?" I asked. "I would like to speak to him or her about compensation in the form of reduced room rate or bonus points."

FDC explained that the manager is off property and he's had trouble contacting her. She is not answering her phone or responding promptly to texts. He sympathized with my request for compensation and assured me he was "working on it".

At 6:15 the FDC called my room to tell me the manager had instructed him there would be no compensation. I was welcome to move to a different room, but there would be no reduction to room rate or bonus of points. I told him if I had to move without compensation I would leave the property. He didn't care. I asked again to speak to the manager. He gave me her email address. I pointed out, "If she can't even return your repeated phone calls for 4 hours, what's the chance she's going to respond to my email? Call her again and tell her I'm leaving in 15 minutes if she doesn't address this problem to my satisfaction."

At 6:30pm the FDC was still polite but ineffective, and the GM was still hiding behind voicemail and email. I checked out, paying for the previous night's stay.

At this point I do not wish to name the hotel because I am still seeking compensation-- first, from the GM if she has the decency to actually answer my complaint, and later, from Marriott Guest Services if she does not.

Advice from others on how to effectively pursue corrective action in this case is appreciated.
So you would have put up with the dog barking if you had received compensation? The FD did offer a possible solution to your woes in that you could maybe have mitigated the barking dog problem by at least agreeing to move rooms but of course that wouldn't have got you any compo. Priorities?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by wrp96
At that point, if the FD is unwilling to address this problem, why would you trust them to deal with any other problems that might crop up during your stay, especially if it is an extended stay like the OP's?
Isn't the offer of a room move for "there's a barking dog in a nearby room and the owner is not readily at hand to calm it down" a proper and reasonable response ?

Seems, if the OP really was being disturbed from whatever they were planning to do in the room that afternoon, they would have best moved rooms and got on with whatever it was rather than spend all the time playing "hunt the manager to extract compensation" .....
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Isn't the offer of a room move for "there's a barking dog in a nearby room and the owner is not readily at hand to calm it down" a proper and reasonable response ?

Seems, if the OP really was being disturbed from whatever they were planning to do in the room that afternoon, they would have best moved rooms and got on with whatever it was rather than spend all the time playing "hunt the manager to extract compensation" .....
Well, IMO addressing the problem would've been getting the dog to stop barking. Why should I have to move because the FD refuses to address a problem caused by another guest? Why shouldn't the guest causing the problem be the one made to move or change their behavior?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.