Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by pinniped
Why on earth would an international property want my AAA number? Or a copy of the card?
I've been asked to show it at int'l properties to prove I was entitled to use the AAA rate I had booked. That's fair. I had gotten so used to not being asked for it whenever I booked AAA rate that I didn't have it on me one time when I was in London & of course that was the time I was asked for it. I explained I didn't have it because I never get asked for it & they made a 1-time exception. Since that time I take it with me if I've booked a AAA rate, whether domestic or international.

The Prague Marriott is the first time I was asked to let them make a copy of the card. They said it was so their accounting department could confirm that I was entitled to that rate. When I argued with them saying seeing the card, my name & passport w/ name/photo was enough, they tried the HQ mandates it line, which of course was total b.s.

Cheers.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Indeed...I have no problem with them asking to see the card... It's a modest discount/marketing program (typically 10% of the room rate); that level of verification should be sufficient.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I recently had a stay a brand new Fairfield Inn (that had opened less than a week before) in Tustin CA, and they also asked to see my AAA card.
I was asked to show my AAA card within the past month at a Marriott (forgot which one). I was really surprised because that basically never happens, but I do have a card, so it wasn't a problem. I wonder if Marriott is starting some sort of ID crackdown?

Bruce
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The Prague Marriott is the first time I was asked to let them make a copy of the card. They said it was so their accounting department could confirm that I was entitled to that rate. When I argued with them saying seeing the card, my name & passport w/ name/photo was enough, they tried the HQ mandates it line, which of course was total b.s..
My (WA)Guess is that someone in HQ wants to confirm that everyone booked under a AAA rate is entitled to it. I'll continue to (WA)Guess that there's a history of abuse of the AAA rate that someone in HQ found at one point in time.

(WA)Guess = WAG = Wild Armed(or some other body part ) Guess
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
My (WA)Guess is that someone in HQ wants to confirm that everyone booked under a AAA rate is entitled to it. I'll continue to (WA)Guess that there's a history of abuse of the AAA rate that someone in HQ found at one point in time.

(WA)Guess = WAG = Wild Armed(or some other body part ) Guess
Oh I buy that for showing the card, but I don't buy it for 'copying' the card. I confirmed w/ Marriott Concierge & MRCS on my return that there is no HQ policy for copying AAA cards.

Cheers.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
The only times I've been asked to show proof of eligibility for a rate, either AAA or through my employer, it has been at properties outside of the US. In Europe, only once, in Asia, every single time.
Well, the few reports in recent posts orignally in the Codes thread (but now moved to this thread) have talked about Farifields in Hartford CT and Tustin CA. So only inside the US in those two cases.

But being asked for it over and over smells of poor IT. Why can't they make a note of it in the central Marriott reservation system that "AAA ID checked by hotel WWWW on xx/yy/zzzz" and use that for a while?

Some other hotel programs (Hilton HHonors for one) actually make you type in your AAA number (and then do a validity check on it) when making a AAA rate reservation online. Would you rather have that (which can require a lot of re-typing if they don't remember that as part of your profile!) than having to show it here and there?

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 28, 2013 at 6:58 pm Reason: adjusted references because of posts moved from antoher thread into this one
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[DELETED -- since being moved to this thread, this post had become a circular link]

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 28, 2013 at 6:55 pm
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Oh I buy that for showing the card, but I don't buy it for 'copying' the card. I confirmed w/ Marriott Concierge & MRCS on my return that there is no HQ policy for copying AAA cards.

Cheers.
The reason may be that FDCs were using AAA rates for friends to get lower rates without having a AAA card. There are a number of different reasons why some cube dweller in HQ wants to confirm that a guest is actually qualified for the discount.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
The reason may be that FDCs were using AAA rates for friends to get lower rates without having a AAA card. There are a number of different reasons why some cube dweller in HQ wants to confirm that a guest is actually qualified for the discount.
Since it's not a HQ policy to copy the card, I'm guessing it's a few int'l properties making up their own rules re: HQ requiring it of them. Not like we've heard stuff that isn't true from FDCs before .

However, I do agree that showing a card to prove you're entitled to the rate is fine. Given how little AAA card costs annually, one can usually amortize it on savings pretty easily.

Cheers.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, I too have been asked very infrequently to show my AAA card when checking in using a AAA rate. I've never been asked to allow them to copy it.

As for the HQ thingy, keep in mind if it's not a MI owned property, HQ is not MI. And their parent company (HQ) may actually have such a rule (not that FDCs are above lying to get you to comply).

As for Hilton's IT, before I finally memorized my AAA number, I use to use the club code 430 instead (some international designation if I recall) that allowed me to get AAA rates.
Old May 29, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott, Hilton
AAA vs CAA (rate difference)

A Fairfield Inn (in Central Connecticut) has different rates for AAA & CAA (Canadian Auto Association).

The AAA is $5-$6 more expensive than the CAA rates.

1) Can AAA members book the cheaper CAA rates? Any issues at checkin?
2) Why would they be different? I've never seen a difference between the 2 rates before.

-----

Rate Rules
AAA rate, AAA membership card required
Additional Information
American Auto Association rate
- Available to AAA members only.
- Limit of two rooms per AAA member per night.
- AAA membership card required at check-in.

Rate Rules
Canadian Auto Association, Canadian Auto Association membership card required, see Rate Rules
Additional Information
Valid Canadian Auto Assoication membership card required at
checkin
Old May 29, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I couldn't use the CAA rate. I'd slip up and pronounce the word "Sorry" correctly, or mention that a kid is in Twelfth Grade, or ask if there's a Dunkin Donuts nearby, instead of a Tim Horton's.
Old May 29, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Just say, "I belong to the CAAA" (CAA, eh?)
Old May 29, 2014, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by hotstepper
A Fairfield Inn (in Central Connecticut) has different rates for AAA & CAA (Canadian Auto Association).

The AAA is $5-$6 more expensive than the CAA rates.

1) Can AAA members book the cheaper CAA rates? Any issues at checkin?
2) Why would they be different? I've never seen a difference between the 2 rates before.

-----

Rate Rules
AAA rate, AAA membership card required
Additional Information
American Auto Association rate
- Available to AAA members only.
- Limit of two rooms per AAA member per night.
- AAA membership card required at check-in.

Rate Rules
Canadian Auto Association, Canadian Auto Association membership card required, see Rate Rules
Additional Information
Valid Canadian Auto Assoication membership card required at
checkin
Given the slight difference in price you might want to book the CAA rate & (if) they ask to see the card hand over the AAA cards. If they say it's the wrong card just say 'ooops, I must have clicked the wrong button. What's the AAA rate?

Alternatively, given the rate difference is small & to avoid any games, just acknowledge that dif orgs (even if related) can have dif rates & pay the extra $5.

Cheers.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:42 pm

While affiliated, AAA and CAA are two separate non-profit organizations. Back when I worked in hotels in Minnesota, we offered members of either organization the same rate. But, when I went to work for Disney World, I discovered that they had separate rates that were enforced. As I understood it, the rate difference was tied to the variance in exchange rates.

(Note: I left Disney in 2004. I don't know their current procedures regarding AAA and CAA rates.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.