Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I don't have a problem w/ them asking for the # (I'm a member), but wish they would store the #.

Cheers.
+1

--Jon
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I almost never use the AAA rate anymore because the Senior rate is usually better.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I was recently asked for my AAA card for the first time ever. It was rather odd.

To add, this appears only on their regular website and mobile website. This is not yet present on their mobile app (iPhone, at least). Also, I can confirm that one of my old expired AAA numbers works fine, so it looks like theyre validating structure/format rather than the status of the membership. This doesnt mean they wont audit the numbers in the future with AAA, of course.

Based on some testing, it looks like it will take 429 + valid Club Code (CDP) + 10 digit number. CDP #s can be found on sites like Hertz and other websites (if only a two digit code, add a 0; not sure about those that are more than 3 digits). Also tested with a CAA number and it is fine.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jibi
I was recently asked for my AAA card for the first time ever. It was rather odd.

To add, this appears only on their regular website and mobile website. This is not yet present on their mobile app (iPhone, at least). Also, I can confirm that one of my old expired AAA numbers works fine, so it looks like theyre validating structure/format rather than the status of the membership. This doesnt mean they wont audit the numbers in the future with AAA, of course.

Based on some testing, it looks like it will take 429 + valid Club Code (CDP) + 10 digit number. CDP #s can be found on sites like Hertz and other websites (if only a two digit code, add a 0; not sure about those that are more than 3 digits). Also tested with a CAA number and it is fine.
Should we really be showing members how to commit fraud and circumvent the need for a valid AAA card?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Properties can still ask for the card at check-in to confirm membership, so even if someone made a reservation with a false # if they don't have the card or can't show it on an app, they can get switched to rack rate.

Cheers.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'm glad MR is making some additional effort to enforce valid use of the program. As a AAA member for many years I've often wondered if it's worth continuing to pay for my membership when this one benefit is widely available to anyone when reserving. Of course, MR needs to do it well for it to matter. That includes storing the number in our profiles to make reservations easier and, most importantly, confirming membership upon arrival. As it is I'm only asked to show my card at most 1-in-5 stays.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:42 pm

I'm usually asked for my card overseas, not in US. I don't have a problem w/ them asking for the card, but do draw the line at them xeroxing the card. Yes I'm talking to you Prague Marriott.

FWIW - I want them to either store the card so I don't have to type it in all the time or ask for the card (or mobile app) upon check-in. Don't really care about either.

Cheers.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I'm usually asked for my card overseas, not in US. I don't have a problem w/ them asking for the card, but do draw the line at them xeroxing the card. Yes I'm talking to you Prague Marriott.
When asked for AAA card which is rare, I show the virtual AAA card on my phone.
controller1 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

FWIW - I want them to either store the card so I don't have to type it in all the time or ask for the card (or mobile app) upon check-in. Don't really care about either.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by Tanic
When asked for AAA card which is rare, I show the virtual AAA card on my phone.
I haven't carried the physical card in the past three years. All I have for proof is the card in my iPhone Wallet.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:50 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by controller1
Should we really be showing members how to commit fraud and circumvent the need for a valid AAA card?
German ADAC members are allowed to use the AAA rate -- so showing how to make a booking is not fraud. It's circumventing a broken web interface.

HTB.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond
The biggest difference between this and the Hilton website is that, with Hilton, you can see the AAA rate and find the total cost with taxes before you have to put in the code. With Marriott, you have to put in the AAA number just to see what your total per nightly cost will be.

When comparison shopping and trying to do miles/money calculations, I like to use total cost with tax. It just adds another annoying step just to find out the full cost.

Maybe they could move it to when you are ready to book.

Lately, Hilton has been saving my AAA number as I have not had to type it in when using lately.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
The rate rules call for an ID to be present at check in, if the property fails to do that then my take is they are granting the rate to anyone that knows to ask (Hilton does that with their MVP rate where they are not to offer it). The complaints here of the profile not being able to populate the field is valid. The thought that they are not doing a complete job of validating the status of the account again falls on Marriott. Yes, failing to lock a door may not mean everything inside is free (i.e. minibars), but it does raise a question if a reasonable person would think so. There have been many honor markets where the customer is expected to leave money for their purchases, and I think they are mostly successful with only a few breaking the trust.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
There is a calculation that can be made if an AAA number is valid, but that doesn't mean its actually a valid membership. Similar to how you can generate 'fake' credit card numbers that match their checksum calculation but aren't actually valid (closed account, etc). I am guessing that Marriott is doing the former, so you just need a number that matches the checksum.

I made a few reservations this weekend and was prompted the first time when I used the AAA rate but not after that -- but that was all one session so maybe it just remembered for that session. I too have mixed feelings about requiring the AAA number, especially for those that are in partner organizations that should have access to AAA rates but not an AAA number. But if they are going to do it, should definitely store it in the profile. Note I DO have a valid AAA membership and actually use it all the time at Marriott -- at least for me I get rates just as good as Marriott Rewards but often without the prepay requirements. So for me its been worth it to have more flexible travel plans.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:58 am

I haven't carried the physical card in the past three years. All I have for proof is the card in my iPhone Wallet.
Not everyone has an iphone . On a dif note, would be interesting to see what a property does w/ the iphone wallet when they insist they're required to copy the card.

Re: German/Sweden et al AAAs being allowed to use the rate, if they are, then Marriott should program the field to accept their #s (but then again, it is Marriott IT we're talking about).

Cheers.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Not everyone has an iphone . On a dif note, would be interesting to see what a property does w/ the iphone wallet when they insist they're required to copy the card.

Re: German/Sweden et al AAAs being allowed to use the rate, if they are, then Marriott should program the field to accept their #s (but then again, it is Marriott IT we're talking about).

Cheers.
Hilton's system allows just the use of the club number (a three-digit code) for non-AAA clubs. It was probably teeth-pulling time to get the API coded to call AAA to validate the number, if they even went that far.

As for copies of the card, a screen shot emailed would probably do fine. They will not me allowed to walk off with my phone to the copy machine.
controller1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.