Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The biggest advantage (to me) of the AAA rates is that they're almost always refundable. They're usually within a few dollars (+/-) of the pre-paid non-refundable rates, and it's worth the difference even if it's a little bit more.
renila likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
It looks like AAA rate search is back to normal now, at least from my one search of the LA area. I know last night there was a systemwide update to the website that the reservation agent told me would happen from time to time.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VA1379
It looks like AAA rate search is back to normal now, at least from my one search of the LA area. I know last night there was a systemwide update to the website that the reservation agent told me would happen from time to time.
Thanks! Yes, it works normally for me now.

And I can confirm that I was also in fact able to actually book a hotel at a AAA rate, at a hotel that didn't show any AAA rates for the previous few days.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
As a new AAA member I have been booking mostly AAA rates at Marriott since at most of the properties the AAA rate matches the lowest regular rate but with 48-72 hour cancel, Basically about 10% off the regular rate with a similar 48-72 hour cancel. Glad to hear they are back.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Twenty years ago, it was common for AAA to be set at a 10% discount from BAR; these days, you're lucky to see it at 3-4% off BAR.
At several Marriotts where I regularly stay, the AAA rate is often a substantial discount (often 15% or more) compared to any other refundable rate.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:06 am

I find many include free Parking. Can be worth up to 45 bucks in some cities.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:28 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
For us old guys/gals the Senior rate is generally better than the AAA rate -- I check both, Today working fine,
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
I find many include free Parking. Can be worth up to 45 bucks in some cities.
Does it mention that in the rate details when it does? If not, how do you figure out that it does? Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The biggest advantage (to me) of the AAA rates is that they're almost always refundable. They're usually within a few dollars (+/-) of the pre-paid non-refundable rates, and it's worth the difference even if it's a little bit more.
I agree. I use AAA rates all the time for this reason. I almost never pick nonrefundable or prepaid rates unless I have no choice, such as for conference rates if I can't get a room in the headquarters hotel otherwise.

ADDED: sometimes I find AAA rates that include airport parking package benefits.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Has anyone ever been asked to show their AAA card when checking in? I book through Concur and regularly book the AAA rate. I have a membership, so I'm not concerned, but I have never once been asked to actually show the card. This seems to be the case with most things I book with a AAA rate (parking lots, Amtrak, etc).
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman
Has anyone ever been asked to show their AAA card when checking in? I book through Concur and regularly book the AAA rate. I have a membership, so I'm not concerned, but I have never once been asked to actually show the card. This seems to be the case with most things I book with a AAA rate (parking lots, Amtrak, etc).
Yes, I was asked once at the Marquis San Diego, where I stay regularly. I've also been asked for it at various SFO parking facilities.

Recommend you carry it with you.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Does it mention that in the rate details when it does? If not, how do you figure out that it does? Thanks.
Yes, it mentions it in the rates. Typically rates like that will be displayed as a "AAA Hot Promotion" which is differentiated from "AAA rate".
jr1202sr likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
<br /><br />I always click on the rate details. They often ad something like kids under 12 eat free with paying adult or free parking, etc.<br /><br />Here is an upcoming stay in San Jose (valet is 39 per night there) <br /><br />(1 night , AAA Hot Deal - Free Valet Parking Daily, includes AAA membership card required, based upon availability, valet parking, see Rate details )<br /><br />The rate was cheaper than any other rate found as well.

Last edited by jr1202sr; Dec 7, 2017 at 7:28 am
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I have. Usually overseas. I was so used to not being asked for it & trying to minimize the cards in my wallet I left it behind when I was in London - so of course they asked me for it. They did a 1-time exception when I explained I wasn't usually asked in the US hence leaving it behind, but since then if I book a AAA rate I carry it w/ me. The Prague Marriott wanted to copy the card, saying it was Marriott policy. Uh no it isn't.

I've found some good deals w/ AAA over the years. Sometimes a decent discount. Sometimes $25/day credit on food or free parking, etc.

If a AAA rate doesn't show up on the Marriott website & you (generic you) know the property you want to stay at, call the property directly & ask for the AAA rate. Even if Marriott overall is having a problem, the associate can plug in the AAA rate in their system & quote you the rate.

Cheers.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Nope, never. I have been asked to see id when I book a government rate though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.