Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
my understanding is you can't however MOST AAA clubs have made travelocity their backend booking tool (you can access this by going to aaa.com)
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:10 am

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
AAA rate expedia

How do you find AAA or senior rates on expedia or travelocity for Marriott?
I usually book through Marriott and can get AAA rates but the 3rd party sites dont seem to allow for hotel discount codes?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
Yup, can't do it....and 3rd party sites also don't allow for points/ stays accrual. If expedia is cheaper, just book through Marriott directly and file a LNF claim.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:16 pm

AAA rates

Are AAA rates considered regular rates? Can you earn points at the regular rate and earn Megarewards with them?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bigcahonna
Are AAA rates considered regular rates? Can you earn points at the regular rate and earn Megarewards with them?
Yes, yes, and yes.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
They aren't always the cheapest rates though. I have seen them 50% higher sometimes. Price everything. Marriott website is helpful doing this. However, the previous poster is correct.

One last note, there are sometimes promotions that require "Public Rates". AAA does not apply because its not available to just anyone. You have to be a AAA member.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
They aren't always the cheapest rates though. I have seen them 50% higher sometimes. Price everything. Marriott website is helpful doing this. However, the previous poster is correct.

One last note, there are sometimes promotions that require "Public Rates". AAA does not apply because its not available to just anyone. You have to be a AAA member.
Are you sure about that last part? I thought that "public rates" meant virtually everything that did not require some secret code.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by joel67
Are you sure about that last part? I thought that "public rates" meant virtually everything that did not require some secret code.
Yes, due to experience. For example, the long, lost EEO BOGO's required use of a rate available to everyone. In other words, did not require membership in some organization or a negotiated discount to a group. It could be a package deal or a special offered by Marriott, but not one that I described before. AAA requires membership and was therefore excluded.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:35 pm

You also can't use Marriott Gift Cheques with AAA rates. Though I have....
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Yes, I've earned on AAA rates. But, be careful. I've actually seen them come up much higher than the non-discounted rated. I've seen as much as a $100 diff in prices just for Boston between 'normal' rates and the AAA rates. Granted, you have a more flexible cancellation policy typically on AAA, but it may cost ya.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K Marriott Plat SPG Gold
Lower rate on AAA.com but not available via marriott.com

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to book a stay at the Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo. Regular rate is 149 Euros/night. Marriott.com shows AAA rates are not available during that time.

However, I then logged onto aaa.com and looked for the same dates. Sure enough the same hotel is available for the dates I'm looking for, and at a much lower rate of 131 USD a night!

While I could save about $50 if I book through aaa.com, I'd also like to get the stay and the points, but I assume booking through aaa.com means I wouldn't get either?

Has anyone encountered a similar situation before? What's my best course of action to get both the lower rate and the points/stay?

Thanks a ton!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
My suggestion is to book the hotel with Marriott then go back and get the "Best Rate Guarantee"

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-prices/faqs.mi

They will match the price that AAA gave you and then take a additional 25% off that rate. There are several threads about doing this and one where flyertalkers ask everyone to post their successes.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
sorry to bust your bubble, but IF the aaa.com is for folks having a AAA card, then the LNF will NOT be approved.......

Originally Posted by nissan720
My suggestion is to book the hotel with Marriott then go back and get the "Best Rate Guarantee"

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-prices/faqs.mi

They will match the price that AAA gave you and then take a additional 25% off that rate. There are several threads about doing this and one where flyertalkers ask everyone to post their successes.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
sorry to bust your bubble, but IF the aaa.com is for folks having a AAA card, then the LNF will NOT be approved.......
It probably won't be approved, but I wouldn't make the Not an absolute statement as we've had reports on the LNF success (or other threads; can't remember which) of FTers getting LNF approved w/ AAA.

To the OP, you might want to call Marriott ressie line & try to book the AAA rate with them directly. Don't even bother mentioning the AAA portal unlesss they say AAA isn't available, then say you'd prefer to book with Marriott directly rather than go through AAA & can they take care of it for you.

BTW - exec lounge sticky says this:

* Naples / Renaissance Mediterrano / NO LOUNGE (per website); 07/25/12 update

So if you stay there, can you do a 'trip report' & let us know if they offer cont'l brekkie or full one in the restaurant, etc.

Cheers.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K Marriott Plat SPG Gold
Thank you all for your inputs. I can confirm LNF is a no go, and reservation refused to match it because the lower rate is not in the system.

Anyway I'll still post a trip report (end of november).

Thanks again for your help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.