Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suite upgrade at Asian properties

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 5:24 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Originally Posted by pdpgps
Which property in TPE would you recommend?
there are only two, both fairly new. I am currently at the Courtyard (the regular Marriott would not work with the American Institute to lower their lodging rate for my government per diem and was $90 OVER per diem). The Courtyard would have been a tad over, but did work with the AIT to within per diem. This is not your typical Courtyard. It has many WOW factors when seeing and staying here. The location, while not center of town, I can see the 101 from my room, but its just an MRT ride away. MRT is below the mall which is below the hotel.

There IS an executive lounge and the buffet breakfast is included for Gold and above. Very impressive buffet. The evening service is good if you like the Asian cuisine. Unfortunately I do not, so I caved and ordered a burger and fries from the lobby bar today which was delicious.

My room, while 2 floors below the executive lounge floor is massive. I am PP, my colleague is Platium and was put on lounge floor 30. As far as I can tell I was not upgraded. There is a gym, but there is no pool.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old May 22, 2016, 9:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you again!

Great to know the Marriott properties at KL and Seoul treat Plat pretty well with respect to suite upgrade. I have been to the JW Seoul DDM and it was awesome (though not getting a suite as the stay was prior to the policy).

Do you guys need to 'tell' them the policy (stay under 3 nights will get a suite upon availability) or these Asian properties just did their auto-upgrade? Sometimes it is irritating to explain the policy to the Asian properties, let alone argue for a suite *_*
Old May 22, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The FS Marriott and CY TPE are not really centrally located. So if location is an important factor, none of these properties would be ideal. I usually stay at a non-marriott property while in TPE (Shangri LA).

However if staying at the Marriott, I HIGHLY recommend going over to the Grand Victoria Hotel across the street and trying the 168 Steakhouse. Amazing restaurant if you like steak.

Originally Posted by pdpgps
Which property in TPE would you recommend?
Originally Posted by trekker954
there are only two, both fairly new. I am currently at the Courtyard (the regular Marriott would not work with the American Institute to lower their lodging rate for my government per diem and was $90 OVER per diem). The Courtyard would have been a tad over, but did work with the AIT to within per diem. This is not your typical Courtyard. It has many WOW factors when seeing and staying here. The location, while not center of town, I can see the 101 from my room, but its just an MRT ride away. MRT is below the mall which is below the hotel.

There IS an executive lounge and the buffet breakfast is included for Gold and above. Very impressive buffet. The evening service is good if you like the Asian cuisine. Unfortunately I do not, so I caved and ordered a burger and fries from the lobby bar today which was delicious.

My room, while 2 floors below the executive lounge floor is massive. I am PP, my colleague is Platium and was put on lounge floor 30. As far as I can tell I was not upgraded. There is a gym, but there is no pool.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by beachfan
My best Marriott upgrade ever was at the JW in KUL
Second this. Huuuuuuge room.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:13 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Any recommendations for which hotel to stay at in Beijing for upgrades for a Plat? (or even recommendation for which hotel to stay at in Beijing regardless of upgrade?)
Old May 24, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid
Any recommendations for which hotel to stay at in Beijing for upgrades for a Plat? (or even recommendation for which hotel to stay at in Beijing regardless of upgrade?)
See this
Old May 24, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marco Polo Club Green , HH Blue, Marriott Plat
Last year I stayed 2 days at the HK JW, got an upgraded room, but not a Suite. I also stayed 3 days at the HK Renaissance, and I got upgraded to a beautiful harbor view suite.

In Shanghai I was upgraded to a nice suite at the Puxi CY 2 out of 3 single day stays

I was a Gold at the time.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I think it really depends on the length of stay and occupancy rates during your travel dates. I have never received a suite upgrade in Asia on stays of 4 or more days. Virtually all of my suite upgrades have been on short stays of 1 or 2 days. A 3-day stay is a toss up, but usually just a larger room or a room with a view.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
We just returned from a three week trip to Asia. We did get upgraded to a mountain view JW suite at the JW Hong Kong for a two night stay. We also stayed at the Suhkumvit 57 in Bangkok (3 nights) and the Tang Plaza in Singapore (2 nights) and were upgraded to the Executive floors but no suites due to occupancy. All stays were booked to standard rooms with points.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Regarding the Tokyo Marriott, has anyone ever been upgraded to any sort of suite at this hotel? I've stayed here 4 times just this year for between 1 and 3 nights and never received anything more than a tiny standard room.

I'm not looking for a grand size suite, but an exec floor room with two double beds instead of two single beds. It seems upgrades here are next to impossible
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:58 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
plats are entitled to suites in Asia if res is 3 nights or less

do you have the website to substantiate this as fact ?

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Regarding the Tokyo Marriott, has anyone ever been upgraded to any sort of suite at this hotel? I've stayed here 4 times just this year for between 1 and 3 nights and never received anything more than a tiny standard room.

I'm not looking for a grand size suite, but an exec floor room with two double beds instead of two single beds. It seems upgrades here are next to impossible
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Srisarin
plats are entitled to suites in Asia if res is 3 nights or less

do you have the website to substantiate this as fact ?
Every time I checked in, which I did in the lounge, I asked for a suite upgrade and without comment, was given the key to a non-exec floor room with either a king bed or two twin - not only was I never given a suite as a Marriott Plat, but not even the courtesy of an explanation as to why.

I was not even aware that Platinum members were entitled to a suite upgrade in Asia, but isn't it still capacity controlled?

Does anyone have the GM contact for the Tokyo Marriott Shinagawa? Now that I know I should have either received a suite, or at least an explanation, I want to research this further with the hotel.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:15 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Japan (and So Korea) are discretionary suite upgrades but I don't have any experience with this Marriott as in Tokyo my go to has been the Conrad but please publish the results of your upcoming stay

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Every time I checked in, which I did in the lounge, I asked for a suite upgrade and without comment, was given the key to a non-exec floor room with either a king bed or two twin - not only was I never given a suite as a Marriott Plat, but not even the courtesy of an explanation as to why.

I was not even aware that Platinum members were entitled to a suite upgrade in Asia, but isn't it still capacity controlled?

Does anyone have the GM contact for the Tokyo Marriott Shinagawa? Now that I know I should have either received a suite, or at least an explanation, I want to research this further with the hotel.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:02 am

I think so far I'm 0/7 for suite upgrade at the JW HK. I usually go around March(350-400 a night, paid cash not award) or September(cheaper 250-300 a night, paid cash not award)

I think its because I keep requesting 2 beds instead of 1 king and the suite usually doesn't have 2 beds.

Has anyone gotten any luck getting suite upgrade at the JW HK?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by In The 216

DL-Don said: All of my stays at the Beijing JW (the older one) have been a week or more and in all those stays I have been upgraded to the full suite consisting of an entry room with a connected half bath, living room, bedroom and a full bath with separate shower and tub. The tub even had its own TV. These suites even have three separate A/C controls.

Why would I stay elsewhere?
I second the choice of the JW Beijing. I stayed a week on a Marriott Rewards travel package, and received a complimentary upgrade to the suite that DL-Don mentions for three nights. I was offered the remaining four nights at a rate of 400 CNY, which I accepted. The entire experience at the hotel was first rate. Many US State Department officials stay and hold meetings there, which was the case during my visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.