Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

No real late check out based upon untruth

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2016, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Pl (2 m miler) AA, UA, Marriott Pl Life, Hilton Diamond Life, SPG Gold Life, IHG Spire Ambassador

Yesterday denied later than 1pcheckout at BWI Springhill Suites. Told they were fully booked. Asked to extend stay one night. Told again fully booked. Asked again at noon. Told fully booked no later checkout. Seconds later called from front desk said could do in King, no two queen rooms available, I said no thank you. Immediately went to Marriott website, three two queens available. Checked out at front desk. Told agent about late check out, said there were ions avaiable. Was very polite. At this point she turns her back to me passing me along to another agent as she chooses to answer phone instead of following through with me. I leave saying I would call Marriott. I did so, Rewards agent was very careful to hear me out. Her excuse was that reapservations and cancellations happen. I said it was statistically highly unlikely that in moments after front desk agent said they were full that I would be able to book three rooms on website. rewards agent offered 30,000 goodwill points, I said thank you. Then check this morning and only 3,000 "good will" points were posted. I emailed them about this. Wonder what they will ask? Today I have cancelled upcoming 8 night reservations. Will probably not return. Most upsetting is not the loss of a couple of hours in the room, although that would have been very helpful for my business day, was the apparent untruths (is that the polite way of saying it) told by this property's front desk staff. Would love to know why. Was I incorrect in my understanding, do not think so. But I do not like to complain, especially about workers, who generally do excellent work.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
According to the information under your username to the left of your post, you don't seem to ahve any status with Marriott? Thus, what was the basis for your expectation of a late checkout?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Pl (2 m miler) AA, UA, Marriott Pl Life, Hilton Diamond Life, SPG Gold Life, IHG Spire Ambassador
MH Pl means Marriott Platinum
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by BWItravelerman
And what does MH stand for? The program name is Marriott Rewards, hence why others thought you didn't have status.

Also, I'm doubting a bit that a phone agent would offer 30,000 points as a goodwill gesture because you couldn't get a late checkout. Maybe you misheard 3,000 as 30,000?

I definitely am hoping that guaranteed late check out starting next month will be true, and consistently applied. I am also frustrated at the lack of availability on many occasions where it seems like hotels may not be at/near capacity.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat (LT Plat 2.1 MM),United S, SPG P, Marriott P, Hyatt Diamond *-)-
Immediately went to Marriott website, three two queens available
Check-in time is 3pm so what gives for their refusal of a 1pm checkout? My guess was they were almost fully booked, and housekeeping was swamped and they didn't want you throwing off their rush to prepare the room for the next guest. Not right.

only 3,000 "good will" points were posted.
I think 3,000 makes more sense than 30,000. I'm relatively new to Marriott but 30,000 seems way too high for something like this.

Today I have cancelled upcoming 8 night reservations.
Good for you. If a company doesn't reciprocate your loyalty, then don't show it back.

I had an issue with SPG and decided I would book about $5k worth of rooms elsewhere - Marriott. In my mind, denying them $5k lost revenue makes up for the issue I had with them.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:38 am
Original Poster

May have misread, however I did repeat to then 30,000. A couple of years ago at the BWI Marriott the was a lot of rehab noise from the floor above. After several talks with front desk, noting I was never for warned of noise, and I was working nights at hospital, so trying to sleep during the day the gave 25,000 points. Being MR member for 26 years, most plat.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MH = Malaysia Airlines, also known as Malaysian Air System (MAS).
Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
MH = Malaysia Airlines, also known as Malaysian Air System (MAS).
Well the OP had already clarified he's Marriott Plat 2x in this thread (including directly above your post), so Malaysia Airlines not really relevant.

If the OP is unhappy w/ the way the front desk handled the late check out request, then canceling his upcoming stays & booking elsewhere is a fair "walk the talk" response. Of course he should let Marriott know why he's walking.

Cheers.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
It is a standard procedure for hotels to offer more rooms than they have available on the websites. They may have a long history showing a number of cancellations and or no shows. And they should be prepared to walk an arriving guest if they need to.

It's simple to think extending a late check-out to be a easy thing to do, but given the staffing needs (not all properties have full-time staff to clean rooms at any hour), physical room assignments (some returning guests request specific rooms), and lastly timing of guest arrivals. All these things need to be considered when managing rooms, especially late check-outs.

So there is a good chance you weren't lied to, but given an answer based upon many variables.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by RogerD408
So there is a good chance you weren't lied to, but given an answer based upon many variables.
What's the deal, injecting facts and reality into a good "big, bad corporation" rant.

3,000 points if more than you probably earned for the night's stay. 10 nights worth of points seems excessive, IMHO.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
It is a standard procedure for hotels to offer more rooms than they have available on the websites. They may have a long history showing a number of cancellations and or no shows. And they should be prepared to walk an arriving guest if they need to.

It's simple to think extending a late check-out to be a easy thing to do, but given the staffing needs (not all properties have full-time staff to clean rooms at any hour), physical room assignments (some returning guests request specific rooms), and lastly timing of guest arrivals. All these things need to be considered when managing rooms, especially late check-outs.

But OP did also say they asked to extend their stay by 1 night. If the hotel was still taking reservations, especially as a Platinum member they should have at least said yes to that request.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 9:53 pm

Today I have cancelled upcoming 8 night reservations. Will probably not return. Most upsetting is not the loss of a couple of hours in the room, although that would have been very helpful for my business day, was the apparent untruths (is that the polite way of saying it) told by this property's front desk staff.
Were these 8 nights at the hotel in which you had this problem? Or, were they at other Marriott hotels?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:57 am

Yesterday denied later than 1pcheckout at BWI Springhill Suites. Told they were fully booked. Asked to extend stay one night. Told again fully booked. Asked again at noon. Told fully booked no later checkout. Seconds later called from front desk said could do in King, no two queen rooms available, I said no thank you. Immediately went to Marriott website, three two queens available. Checked out at front desk. Told agent about late check out, said there were ions avaiable. Was very polite. At this point she turns her back to me passing me along to another agent as she chooses to answer phone instead of following through with me. I leave saying I would call Marriott. I did so, Rewards agent was very careful to hear me out. Her excuse was that reapservations and cancellations happen. I said it was statistically highly unlikely that in moments after front desk agent said they were full that I would be able to book three rooms on website. rewards agent offered 30,000 goodwill points, I said thank you. Then check this morning and only 3,000 "good will" points were posted. I emailed them about this. Wonder what they will ask? Today I have cancelled upcoming 8 night reservations. Will probably not return. Most upsetting is not the loss of a couple of hours in the room, although that would have been very helpful for my business day, was the apparent untruths (is that the polite way of saying it) told by this property's front desk staff. Would love to know why. Was I incorrect in my understanding, do not think so. But I do not like to complain, especially about workers, who generally do excellent work.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
According to the information under your username to the left of your post, you don't seem to ahve any status with Marriott? Thus, what was the basis for your expectation of a late checkout?
May have misread, however I did repeat to then 30,000. A couple of years ago at the BWI Marriott the was a lot of rehab noise from the floor above. After several talks with front desk, noting I was never for warned of noise, and I was working nights at hospital, so trying to sleep during the day the gave 25,000 points. Being MR member for 26 years, most plat.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well the OP had already clarified he's Marriott Plat 2x in this thread (including directly above your post), so Malaysia Airlines not really relevant.

If the OP is unhappy w/ the way the front desk handled the late check out request, then canceling his upcoming stays & booking elsewhere is a fair "walk the talk" response. Of course he should let Marriott know why he's walking.

Cheers.
NO, the OP only stated once that he/she is Marriott Platinum; the second time he/she said that he/she has been Plat for most of the 26 year he/she has participated in the MR program, but it doesn't say that he/she is necessarily Plat this year.

The OP to which I responded did not mention status and I certainly had no reason to believe that the MH listing under the username was meant to refer to Marriott rather than Malaysia Airlines.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Carpboy823
And what does MH stand for?
In this context, Marriott Hotels. It was rather obvious to me.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Cancelled nights were at next two weeks stays at same hotel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.