Walked in on... Naked

Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by tracon
I'm curious as to how you figured that out?
I wondered the same thing. Did they exchange numbers? Lol
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by joepercussion1
Having worked in the industry before, if there is a true emergency that requires immediate entrance to a locked room, certain managers on every property have a special master key encoded that can override the deadbolt lock. Also, a lot of hotels are getting rid of the chains for the magnetic L shape latch. While they are good to prevent you from accidentally keeping your room door unlocked and open to anyone, there is actually a way to undo those (we had those magically flip when the doors would close and the room was vacant).

Using a door stop like that, while may be a safety thing, isn't a smart idea in case of an emergency. Better to use that on connecting doors, but those are hard for someone to tamper with.

As long as you use your deadbolt properly, the only person who can override that deadbolt when activated is normally the GM of the property.
Correct on all things but add in usually more than one override for the deadbolt. I was a front desk sup at a hotel when in college and I had an override key. Each manager had one and then we also had one behind the front desk in a "break in case of emergency" case which would send an alarm notice to the GM. That was in case no managers were on site and their was a major emergency like the place burning down or something.

As for the chain locks and magnetic locks, the hotels have a tool. I remember having to do this multiple times when little kids were left in the room and the parents returned to find they couldn't get in their rooms. Basically you open the door with just about 1-2cm and the tool slips in and can grab the lock and pull it back. Really easy to do.

Lastly the rooms with the slide cards or RFID cards are also designed to be override by a special Allen wrench tool in the event the batteries die in the door locks.

I would never worry about an emergency and them needing to get into the room as the hotel can quickly get the access needed even with a deadbolt and such on
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I wondered the same thing. Did they exchange numbers? Lol
The GM emailed me later in the day, after I checked out. We exchanged a few emails and he mentioned that the other guy got 15,000 points.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:21 am

Programs: Former DL Diamond, now Plat. Marriott lifetime Plat. Former AA EXP
I walked in on someone at the Courtyard Pasadena a few months go. When I returned to the front desk clerk, he told me it was an issue with online check-in, and that "if she [the woman I walked in on] complains, we have no choice but to give her a full refund." The interesting part to me was that it required her to be proactive to receive compensation. The clerk handed me 4 breakfast vouchers.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by HITconsultant
I walked in on someone at the Courtyard Pasadena a few months go. When I returned to the front desk clerk, he told me it was an issue with online check-in, and that "if she [the woman I walked in on] complains, we have no choice but to give her a full refund." The interesting part to me was that it required her to be proactive to receive compensation. The clerk handed me 4 breakfast vouchers.
You should have left her a note telling her.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:43 pm

Happened to me at a HGI in Houston. Had connecting rooms booked for the kids. We dumped our stuff in one of them and opened the connecting door wide in both rooms and left for dinner. When we returned there was a little old couple who had been checked into our connecting room. They were sitting on their beds and looked so surprised when my kids came bounding into the room. I still wonder what they thought about the open door to another room.

The hotel was beyond apologetic and gave me 60K(!!) points and this was three years ago. I was more than happy.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Interesting lesson. Not the first thread w/ this topic either.

Lesson is: Lock your door ... like you lock your front door at home.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Happened to me once at a Hilton, I was in bed at midnight and someone walked in, scared the hell out of me. I told the front desk and they offered me...500 points

Now I make sure I'm using the chain/bolt.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1k, MR Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Sorry that it happened - it can certainly be a shock. I had a housekeeper come in before 8, while I was in the shower, and start work on my room - evidently not noticing the shower was running. Doubly awkward, because you are naked and standing between her (in this case) and the exit.

All the consultants on the team laughed at me and said it was obviously my fault for not barricading the door.

In your case, I'd recommend telling management that only your future spouse is allowed to see you naked, and that your dowry will be negatively impacted by at least one goat. Then demand that they give you a goat. A full transcript of the conversation would be appreciated.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Plat
If someone walked in on me naked, I would demand compensation... for the other guy!
Dubosc likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by hookthem
So this is a common occurance?

RE: chain and doorstop. While I am only 29, I always think about "what would happen if I had a heart attack or ______ (fill in the blank with many medical conditions). I prefer to keep it accessible while I am by myself.
Any medical condition that wouldn't strike you down unconscious immediately would allow you time to unlatch the door (although you would be calling the front desk and/or 911 first).

So: Use. The. Night. Latch.

(Hotels have a special tool that can pop the night latch if you're in trouble and can't reach the door to unlock it - takes them about 10 seconds. And, if you're in trouble and lose consciousness before being able to contact anyone...well, it probably won't make a difference in that case, will it?)
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:09 am

If she is cute and let's say open-minded, she is allowed to walk in - when I am naked (or not)...

Edit: on a more serious note, I was given 2x a room which was already occupied. Both times it happened at Hilton properties. No one in the room when I walked in.
So I left immediately and went down to the front desk where they were astonished that the room was not free.

Last edited by PetzLUX; Mar 31, 2016 at 1:31 am
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Once at the LeMeridien (now JW Marriott) New Orleans, I was given my key and when I entered the room - a couple was going at it and said whoa! Fortunately it was one of the corner rooms and you can't see the bed when you first open the door.

I was top tier with Meridien's program at that time (wasn't part of Starwood) and was always pre-assigned a nice corner room on an upper floor with a view.

Turns out this was really my room, and the desk had given a key to Mrs. XXX, which had the same last name that I did. Now who was Mrs. XXX in the room with in the middle of the day?

I got reassigned and the room wasn't as good as the one that had been pre-assigned to me and given to Mrs. XXX for devious acts.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cova
Once at the LeMeridien (now JW Marriott) New Orleans, I was given my key and when I entered the room - a couple was going at it and said whoa! Fortunately it was one of the corner rooms and you can't see the bed when you first open the door.

I was top tier with Meridien's program at that time (wasn't part of Starwood) and was always pre-assigned a nice corner room on an upper floor with a view.

Turns out this was really my room, and the desk had given a key to Mrs. XXX, which had the same last name that I did. Now who was Mrs. XXX in the room with in the middle of the day?

I got reassigned and the room wasn't as good as the one that had been pre-assigned to me and given to Mrs. XXX for devious acts.
Wow, they should have given you a suite upgrade for your "inconvenience." On fact, maybe Mrs. XXX would have preferred the guy in the suite.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by nevansm
I've walked in on and been walked in on once. Not great times for either occurrence.

I always flip the deadbolt and secondary lock when I enter a room for more than 5 minutes. I know there's ways to get the bars/chains/etc open, because it's happened to me on the other end when nobody was in the room. (check youtube, it's quite easy).
Its happened to me too - once was room service popping in by mistake when I was exiting the shower. Wrong room, no problem as I just wrapped the bath towel on the way out. No privacy hang tag by me.

More common has been the room service entry very early - like 0830 - in resort properties Vail, Waikiki et al on the day of checkout when they are trying to clear rooms to accommodate early checkins.

Sometimes I benefit from that plan in Resorts (when inbound) but in a few FS Marriotts not so much. Depends on the property. Usually the hang tag works and I have never had the unwelcome or no knock entry when one of those is in place.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.