FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   rate bait-n-switch when booking on marriott.com (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1751963-rate-bait-n-switch-when-booking-marriott-com.html)

pvn Mar 9, 2016 3:11 pm

rate bait-n-switch when booking on marriott.com

I'm sure everyone has noticed this, but when you book a multi-night stay on marriott.com, when it shows you the available properties in a city, the rate it shows for each of them is not actually the rate you will pay for each night, nor is it even the average rate, it's just the lowest.

To be fair, it does say "FROM $259/night" but the problem with this is there's no easy way to tell what the actual cost of the entire stay is going to be without clicking through two or three more screens, which makes it EXTREMELY frustrating when comparing multiple properties.

AND, it should be noted, the "FROM $209/night" wording is only on the screen where you choose a property. Once you've selected a property, and you're on the "choose a room rate" screen, that wording is gone and it just says room type X is $Y, even though the actual price will almost certainly vary significantly!

Is there an easier way to have it display the total cost or at least the AVERAGE nightly cost?

kar120c Mar 9, 2016 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 26309299)
I'm sure everyone has noticed this, but when you book a multi-night stay on marriott.com, when it shows you the available properties in a city, the rate it shows for each of them is not actually the rate you will pay for each night, nor is it even the average rate, it's just the lowest.

To be fair, it does say "FROM $259/night" but the problem with this is there's no easy way to tell what the actual cost of the entire stay is going to be without clicking through two or three more screens, which makes it EXTREMELY frustrating when comparing multiple properties.

AND, it should be noted, the "FROM $209/night" wording is only on the screen where you choose a property. Once you've selected a property, and you're on the "choose a room rate" screen, that wording is gone and it just says room type X is $Y, even though the actual price will almost certainly vary significantly!

Is there an easier way to have it display the total cost or at least the AVERAGE nightly cost?

I posted about this last year I think, as have others. No, I don't know of any way to get it to display total cost other than clicking through to the point where it shows the rates for each of the nights you want. I wouldn't say it goes as far as "bait & switch," but yes it is certainly inconvenient.

SkiAdcock Mar 9, 2016 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by kar120c (Post 26309444)
I wouldn't say it goes as far as "bait & switch," but yes it is certainly inconvenient.

Agree.

leeky Mar 9, 2016 7:13 pm

Totally misleading title to this thread (which is just a repeat f existing threads)

jsucool76 Mar 10, 2016 4:03 am

It's a hassle, but I'll just open each hotel in a different tab and compare prices.

Though I have had it where it might say "from $199" and then you click through and that rate is nowhere to be found, and the rates for each night are $349 or something.

hhoope01 Mar 10, 2016 9:07 am

On that "choose a room rate" screen, if the rate changes during the stay, there should be a comment on that rate. Just under the room type description there is a statement stating that the room rate changes on XXX date to $YYY.

So the system is letting you know there is a rate change within that stay and what that change is. (At least that is what I see when I search for rates.)

Wickersley Mar 10, 2016 10:01 am

rate bait-n-switch when booking on marriott.com

Hit "my stay is flexible" & for one night only...

I've had occasions where I've booked 3 stays covering a 4 night stay...but saved >$400 & somehow managed to get 3 x PAG! (Even thou I didn't change rooms, I made a point of checking out & back in)

pvn Mar 10, 2016 11:16 am