Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection - Santa Cruz, California [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ph-collection/

Category 8. No lounge, so cont'l brekkie for Gold/Plats in the restaurant (just called the property).

"Hotel Paradox embodies the natural beauty of the area, featuring the elements of Santa Cruz that are NOT the beach and traditionally thought of as secondary: the forest, the mountains, the redwoods, and the arts. We invite guests to engage their sense of discovery, escape the ordinary and embrace adventure. The element of surprise begins in the lobby with an enormous eucalyptus tree front desk and white squirrels showing up in unexpected places. The nature/nurture theme restaurant features local and sustainable options, set in an atmosphere that brings the outside in, with a multi-angled ceiling adorned with back lit trees and blue sky. Guest rooms feature natural forest elements in the décor, including wooden stump tables, reclaimed wood paneling, and river rock shower floor with rain shower heads. The pool deck and outdoor bar, with fire pits, poolside service and rentable cabanas, allow for simultaneous indulgence of the senses: taste, touch, sight, sound. Situated less than 1 mile from the historic Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, and an easy walk to the bustling downtown."

Article:

http://www.examiner.com/article/marr...-hotel-paradox

"Santa Cruz's Hotel Paradox is now a part of Marriott's Autograph Collection of independent properties. Located on Pacific Avenue in Santa Cruz, 45 minutes south of San Jose, the property recently underwent a renovation that created an open floor plan in the hotel's lobby, restaurant and bar, added new guest room furniture and refreshed the fire pits and poolside cabanas surrounding the property's outdoor pool."

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Interesting. Odd name. But it fits well with Autograph Collection's claim of "strikingly independent hotels."

I found an article about how the owner transformed this property in 2012 from what had previously been student housing (and a Holiday Inn before that):

http://patch.com/california/santacru...-gem-of-design
Old Feb 27, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
i noticed the hotel a couple of days ago. The hotel itself looks nice though the reviews on Tripadvisor seem iffy. Most reviews say they nickle and dime you for everything.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Just finishing up a 3 night stay here. This is a classic "lipstick on a pig" converted Holiday Inn/UCSC student housing motel, really a 2 star motel.
pros: nice pool/hot tub bar scene, friendly staff, comfortable beds, good food.

cons: doors open to outside walkways, noisy from kids running, street noise, most of the suites are next to a very noisy elevator shaft. Staff not yet familiar with Marriott elite benefits. We had one suite that was too noisy so they moved to another quieter one with a panoramic view of a homeless encampment!

Won't be back, too noisy.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'll stick with the Fairfield Inn in Capitola
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-cruz-capitola which is among the best Fairfield's I've ever been to. But its always good to have another option.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wilma
Just finishing up a 3 night stay here. This is a classic "lipstick on a pig" converted Holiday Inn/UCSC student housing motel, really a 2 star motel.
pros: nice pool/hot tub bar scene, friendly staff, comfortable beds, good food.

cons: doors open to outside walkways, noisy from kids running, street noise, most of the suites are next to a very noisy elevator shaft. Staff not yet familiar with Marriott elite benefits. We had one suite that was too noisy so they moved to another quieter one with a panoramic view of a homeless encampment!

Won't be back, too noisy.
Thanks for the update.

Cheers.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
I believe I saw a Fairfield Inn that's suppose to open in Santa Cruz this summer as well. It looks like a newly built hotel so I hope the service and quality will be better than the paradox. I looked in advance and rates seem rather high in the 200's but it may be because of the summer.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by jm1991
I believe I saw a Fairfield Inn that's suppose to open in Santa Cruz this summer as well. It looks like a newly built hotel so I hope the service and quality will be better than the paradox. I looked in advance and rates seem rather high in the 200's but it may be because of the summer.
I was supposed to stay at the new Fairfield close to campus but they canceled my reservation a few days before saying they were not ready to open.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by jm1991
Santa Cruz motels are expensive. The Paradox was packed with families, there seems to be a shortage of rooms in SC on the weekends.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:58 pm

3 night stay

They did the best they could do by refurbishing a motel, but it's very noisy and the blinds don't adequately cover the floor to ceiling windows so it's bright early in the morning. The staff is very friendly and really seem to like their jobs so that was a nice plus. We tried the omelettes, croque madame, vegetarian benedict and all were good, but the continental was very poor quality and size. The housekeeping carts rumble up and down the path early in the morning so if you have early morning meetings it's fine but not an easy place to kick back and relax.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:08 pm
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Bumping this thread to see if there are any recent experiences...
Old May 7, 2019, 3:17 am

Any recent experience here? PLT/Titanium Breakfast?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:32 am

Anyone??
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
This is what my friend said from his stay in May

They give you a credit for a continental breakfast, which looks whatever. But since the continental costs $12, it’s basically a $12 dining credit per person. So we got dishes that were like $16 each, so we only end up owing $8.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.