Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott to expand in Japan (by rebranding)

Old Feb 25, 16, 6:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Marriott International has signed an agreement to double its Marriott Hotels portfolio in Japan.
The group will rebrand five Laforet properties as part of an agreement with the Mori Trust Group, which will see the hotels renovated over the next two years.
The five properties that will be rebranded are: Lake Biwa Marriott Hotel (formerly Laforet Biwako) Nanki-Shirahama Marriott Hotel (formerly Laforet Nanki-Shirahama) Fuji Marriott Hotel (formerly Laforet Yamanakako) Izu Marriott Hotel Shuzenji (formerly Laforet Shuzenji) Karuizawa Marriott Hotel (formerly Laforet Naka-Karuizawa).
The rebranded hotels will double the number of Marriott Hotels in Japan, adding around 840 rooms. It will bring Marriott International’s presence in the country to 20 properties across its Autograph Collection, Courtyard, Marriott Hotels, Renaissance and Ritz-Carlton brands.
Old Feb 25, 16, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I was going to start a thread about it yesterday after I saw the press releasee, but then realized muertz had mentioned the properties in the master new hotels/disposables thread along w/ some others. I think he's got approximate opening dates/timeframes. He also listed other properties as well.

Good to have more options in Japan.

Cheers.
Old Feb 25, 16, 10:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
This announcement involves five Laforet properties being rebranded to full-service Marriotts.

But there are currently ten Laforet hotels on this webpage: http://www.laforet.co.jp/en/

I wonder what will happen to the other five? Could more conversions to Marriott brands be on the way?
Old Feb 25, 16, 8:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

with all due respect to the announcement of 5 rebranded props in Japan which muertz announced in a thread that I don't/didn't read, the info he/she posted is not completely correct

ie. in the other thread he/she stated

- Fuji Marriott Hotel, rebranding of Laforet Yamanakako Hotel (old hotel website), opening later this year

due to my interest in this property in my post I stated reflagging over the next 2-years and have received the following response from this property, as follows -

Laforet Yamanakako will rebrand as a Marriott in 2017.
For more information, please find attatched the news release from Marriott International.
Thank you,
Izumi Nanjo | Coordinator, Marketing Department
Mori Trust Hotels & Resorts Co., Ltd

Since I currently have no interest in any of the other 4 to be rebranded props I cannot comment on whether the time of reflagging is correct or not, but based upon the few TCC props that were being rebranded in Thailand I would seriously doubt that any of them will flag as Marriott this year.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
I was going to start a thread about it yesterday after I saw the press releasee, but then realized muertz had mentioned the properties in the master new hotels/disposables thread along w/ some others. I think he's got approximate opening dates/timeframes. He also listed other properties as well.

Good to have more options in Japan.

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 16, 7:20 am

Well since a separate thread has now been created, here's the official Marriott press release from a few days ago:

http://news.marriott.com/2016/02/mar...st-hotels.html

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 16, 5:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

sorry, but I don't keep much stock in Marriott press releases since they seem to never clarify or retract changes post news release (ie. last year they announced a JW to be built in Pattaya/Jomtien - never gonna happen)

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Well since a separate thread has now been created, here's the official Marriott press release from a few days ago:

http://news.marriott.com/2016/02/mar...st-hotels.html

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 16, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by leeky View Post
sorry, but I don't keep much stock in Marriott press releases since they seem to never clarify or retract changes post news release (ie. last year they announced a JW to be built in Pattaya/Jomtien - never gonna happen)
Marriott did a press release re: the 5 properties. You mentioned the 5 properties & your verbiage was pretty close to the press release verbiage.

I'm confused on why you aren't putting stock in the press release. At the time of the press release the information by Marriott & the other organization was accurate. Also, this is at the bottom of the press release:

Note on forward looking statements
The anticipated numbers of Marriott hotels to be rebranded in Japan are “forward-looking statements" within the meaning of United States federal securities laws, not historical facts, and are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, including supply and demand changes for hotel rooms; competitive conditions in the lodging industry; the availability of capital to finance hotel growth; and other risk factors identified in Marriott International, Inc.'s most recent annual report on Form 10-K; any of which could cause the actual numbers or locations of new hotels to be different. These statements are made as of the date of this press release, and Marriott International undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise them or any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.

Also in the release, "These agreements are part of Marriott International’s strategic expansion plans across Asia and aim to meet the needs of the rapidly growing number of inbound travelers into Japan."

"Mori Trust Group will renovate five existing Laforet properties and rebrand them as Marriott Hotels, offering approximately 840 rooms. The agreements between the two companies extend a relationship that has seen the successful opening of the Tokyo Marriott Hotel, Courtyard by Marriott Tokyo Station Hotel and Courtyard by Marriott Shin-Osaka Station Hotel. Both companies look forward to further expanding their partnership."

Anyway, the bottom line is that it will be nice to have more options in Japan.

When they get rebranded/open I'll add them to the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Mar 8, 16, 6:19 am

Press release on Marriott site re: the first JW to open in Japan (in 2020, in time for the Tokyo Olympics).

http://news.marriott.com/2016/03/mar...oric-city.html

"Today Marriott International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAR) and Japan’s leading real estate development company Mori Trust Group, announced they plan to open JW Marriott Hotel Nara, Japan in the spring of 2020 – the same year as the Tokyo Olympics. The new hotel will mark the JW Marriott brand’s debut in Japan

The new property will be located in the capital city of Nara, known for its embodiment and preservation of traditional Japanese history and culture. Located in the Kansai region of Japan, Nara is home to many of the country’s oldest surviving palaces, Buddhist temples, and Shinto shrines while also boasting several Michelin-rated restaurants and a world-renowned culinary scene. Nara has the enviable distinction of having more UNESCO World Heritage listings than any other prefecture in the country.

The hotel will also cater to the conference and events sector, located nearby several amenities including a large convention hall, NHK Broadcasting Hall, and an extensive food and beverage and retail complex."
Old Nov 14, 16, 11:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver, National Executive
Are there any updates on when any of these other then Karuizawa Marriott (formerly Laforet Naka-Karuizawa) will be re-opened as Marriotts?
Old May 23, 17, 11:59 am

Moxy Tokyo and Moxy Osaka is coming in late 2017

http://news.marriott.com/2017/05/japan-set-get-playful-curious-lot-fun-year-adding-moxy/

We will also have Ritz Carlton Nikko and Ritz Carlton Niseko in 2020

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ritz-carlton/1801016-ritz-carlton-open-two-new-japan-hotels-2020-nikko-niseko.html

For SPG, there will be a new four points in Nagoya airport
Old Aug 3, 17, 8:45 am

Marriott press release re: the 5 Mori Trust properties in Japan opening:

http://news.marriott.com/2017/07/mar...rriott-hotels/

Cheers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: