Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

El Mangroove, Autograph Collection - Costa Rica [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Property has a $20 resort fee.
Print Wikipost

El Mangroove, Autograph Collection - Costa Rica [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ghia74
We enjoyed our stay. The rooms are very nice, the bedrooms are air conditioned and separated by a slider to the Living Room which is not. The shower had a nice rain head. The pool is long and shallow. Not very fun for kids unless the just want to lounge around. The beach is not great but that's more a function of being in the gulf. We did use the kayaks which are included in the resort fee. The breakfast I got included was very good. Overall the food was good there. Glad it was since there is not really another option that does not involve driving. So I can't compare to the JW but my research showed it was similar. Nice place to relax but not much else besides the kayaking.
Do you remember everything the resort fee includes? If so, we can put it in the wiki. I know you you negotiated a rate that included breakfast, but do you know if they do anything for Gold/Plats in terms of bennies, breakfast or otherwise?

Cheers.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Do you remember everything the resort fee includes? If so, we can put it in the wiki. I know you you negotiated a rate that included breakfast, but do you know if they do anything for Gold/Plats in terms of bennies, breakfast or otherwise?

Cheers.
I'm only Marriott Silver and am not sure what Gold or Platinum's would get. There was a $20 a night 'service fee" in my bill, I forget everything it included but we did utilize the free bikes and paddle board.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I just had a 2-night stay at El Mangroove. We really enjoyed it and were very pleased with our choice. I'll try to give a good overview, but if you have questions, feel free to ask.

We rented a car, and it was about a 20-minute flight from the Liberia Airport. I tend to like to explore a lot, and thought we'd need the car rental (we definitely did for the latter part of our trip, when we went to Tabacón/Arenal). But we probably should have just taken a taxi, especially given high car insurance rates for rentals, as we only left the hotel by car once to watch the sunset at a beach 5 miles away and it was just as pretty from the hotel.

Anyway, on to the hotel ... including the $20 daily resort fee, our stay was $280/night but that included a $50/day credit for food and beverage onsite.

Parking was valet, at no charge.
We asked if we could get a room with beach view. However, the way the buildings are laid out and with a bunch of trees between rooms and the beach, I would say only the two rooms on the very end of the building closest to the beach really have beach views. Those rooms were full and one was also a different layout than we requested (2 beds vs one). They did give us a room in the building closest to the beach and to all the activities.

All the rooms are essentially suites, with the bedroom and bathroom in air conditioning, and the living room giving more of an outdoor feel with a screen and a hammock inside. Everything was top-quality, modern decoration that fit with the environment.

I thought the food was very good. We ate dinner on-site both nights, in each of the two restaurants. Good selection and quality. I would say it's expensive for Costa Rica but not for being at a hotel. Given that we had a $50 credit both days, it was quite reasonable. The drinks were also excellent, with an interesting selection including some using a Costa Rican liquor guaro.

The pool is beautiful and perfect for pictures. There are a few cabanas you can rent if you want privacy plus your own TV and fridge by the pool. We didn't have a need for that, and there were plenty of chairs available. One of the days we even had the pool all to ourselves for awhile. None of the 3 days did we feel like it was crowded. There are additional chairs facing the beach to lie out on. I really liked the color and design of some of the chairs that felt distinct to Costa Rica
Included in the resort fee is the use of kayaks, paddle boards and bikes. I only used the kayaks. The water is really calm as it's a bay. We did a private boat tour that left from the hotel beach, but I didn't book it through the hotel. It was 4 1/2 hours long and took us to a few different beaches that we had virtually to ourselves, and also included snorkeling and drinks (beer/water/soda). That was $190 for 2, but I thought a great deal as it was private and we got to go wherever we wanted. We came back right at sunset, and I spotted dolphins on the way back, so we got a dolphin show by sunset!

As a Gold member, breakfast was included for us both. There was a very ample selection - an omelet station, various hot items such as French toast, bacon, eggs, sweet fried plantains, empanadas and pancakes; lots of fresh fruit choices, cereal, yogurt, deli meat, cheeses, and an array of breads/pastries/muffins. Also coffee, tea, juice and water included.

I didn't use the gym as I decided to run outside both days, but I did look at it and it included a couple treadmills, ellipticals, exercise bike and weights. I didn't use the spa either. I thought it was a little expensive - pretty standard U.S. prices, but if I'm gong to use the spa on a trip I either want it to be a special experience or else much cheaper than at home.
Overall, I loved the hotel. It was quite child-friendly and I noticed they gave kids colored pencils at meals to draw with. They also had some books you could borrow to read.

Sorry not to have pictures as I don't have any uploaded to a public site.

Last edited by spainlover; Jul 16, 2017 at 3:09 pm Reason: Pictures didn't come through.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the detailed update. Much appreciated.

(One minor note - could you add some paragraph breaks to your report-would make it easier to read. Thx).

Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
There had been spaces, but they didn't show up. I've added an extra line between every paragraph.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spainlover
There had been spaces, but they didn't show up. I've added an extra line between every paragraph.
Thank you so much! And thanks for the detailed report! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:47 pm

JW or El Mangroove

I’m using a 5 night travel package and paying for 2 nights. Which hotel would you do the 5 nights and why.

Appreciate any input. Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
At the El Mangroove now and it's a fantastic property. Full buffet is included for Gold & Platinums along with a 10% discount to their gift shop and the spa. My only two complains are that the pool area does get a little crowded and the gym is pretty small. But it sounds like they are breaking ground this spring on a new pool complex and fitness center which should fix both issues. It's a hidden gem in the Autograph Collection - that's for sure.

SanDiego1K and roundtree like this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the update (and pic). Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Our full review of the El Mangroove and more pictures of the property.

El Mangroove, Autograph Collection - Two Gays & A Puppy
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Thank you for the recent reports, I am headed there in early April for a 7 night stay. I have only been to San Jose and inland areas, so looking forward to seeing this part of the coast. Can you guys advise of the best option for transportation? We are fine relaxing around the hotel, and will likely do some day trips depending on the tours available. Going up in to Nicaragua is of interest as well. But I am a fan of hiring cars with local guides, takes the stress out of navigating. Thank you!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm considering this hotel for a trip in February. It looks like the location is pretty remote. Are there restaurants or any small towns nearby, preferably within walking distance...or are taxis easy from here? The hotel looks great, but we don't want to have all our meals there, we like to get out to explore and sample some of the more local cuisine.

From what I can see, the only way to do this is to take a taxi to Playa Hermosa, since we wouldn't plan to rent a car.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spainlover
Included in the resort fee is the use of kayaks, paddle boards and bikes.
Has anyone stayed here recently that confirm this is still the case? On the hotel website, they show hourly rental fees for these things.

I booked this for January, but if I have to pay the $30/hour x 2 for these activities, that may cause me to look at other properties.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
Has anyone stayed here recently that confirm this is still the case? On the hotel website, they show hourly rental fees for these things.

I booked this for January, but if I have to pay the $30/hour x 2 for these activities, that may cause me to look at other properties.
We'll be staying here in Feb. Can you report back your experience with plat perks please? thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Copa ConnectMiles Platinum, United Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
I'm considering this hotel for a trip in February. It looks like the location is pretty remote. Are there restaurants or any small towns nearby, preferably within walking distance...or are taxis easy from here? The hotel looks great, but we don't want to have all our meals there, we like to get out to explore and sample some of the more local cuisine.

From what I can see, the only way to do this is to take a taxi to Playa Hermosa, since we wouldn't plan to rent a car.
This hotel is relatively close to Playas del Coco where you can find several dining options. The hotel is actually not that remote, it’s located in Papagayo which is one of Costa Rica’s hotspots. Probably not much within walking distance, but a taxi should be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.