Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Mumbai (Juhu Beach) engaging in dynamic currency scam

JW Marriott Mumbai (Juhu Beach) engaging in dynamic currency scam

Old Jan 19, 16, 11:43 am
Original Poster

JW Marriott Mumbai (Juhu Beach) engaging in Dynamic Currency Conversion scam

Really disappointed to find out this high-end hotel is engaging in such a petty scam. It was an unfortunate end to what was really a delightful experience at one of the best hotels in the Mumbai suburbs.

On check-out, I was given full statement for four nights that was quoted in Rupees, and then made to sign a small receipt which had the Rupees written in large, bold type, and a dollar amount (which admittedly I did not notice) written in small type just above it.

A totally dishonest act. Stayed in 4 hotels throughout India and ate dinner ate so many restaurants without encountering anything like this. The difference of $50 is not a big deal, itís more of the principle that matters, especially coming from a highly regarded JW Marriott brand that already makes a killing off over overly priced everything.

Last edited by TheAJ; Jan 19, 16 at 11:51 am
Old Mar 28, 16, 1:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott: Titanium
Thanks for posting this! I did find out that they did the same thing for my stay at the JW Marriott Delhi Aerocity!! I explicitly remembering requesting to be charged in INR but now I called my credit card company and found out I was charged in USD! This also makes filling out my expense reports a pain as I have to submit them in local currency! I did confirm that for my stay at the JW Marriott Mumbai Juhu they charged me in INR and not USD.

Last edited by timetosave; Apr 2, 16 at 5:11 pm Reason: grammar
Old Mar 28, 16, 3:40 pm

I had a similar situation recently with a property in Mexico. They charged me at a conversion rate that they knew was not going to get converted into USD at the same conversion rate. I asked about it before check out, and they assured me that it would convert at the specified rate.

I complained about it when I saw the charge on my CC, and they blamed it on their own Marriott credit card.

The options as I see them are to not stay at JW Marriott properties that charge in non-USD denominations, or accept the fact that they are going to skim an extra $50-$60 off an already expensive stay by playing with currency fluctuations and saying "it's out of our control".

I'd imagine that most people staying at a 5-Diamond property aren't even going to notice that amount of money. Still doesn't make it ethical. And you can be sure that they'd find a way to collect if the currency fluctuation wasn't in their favor.
Old Mar 28, 16, 4:00 pm

Programs: QR: Gold; Marriott: Amb; UA: 1K; Taj: Silv
Not just in Mumbai

They started doing this at the JW in Chandigarh as well. It wasn't happening through the end of January, but has for my 2 stays in February and March.
Old Mar 29, 16, 5:34 pm

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
Yeah, I've been burned by this scam enough (Shanghai, London, New Zealand) that I now make sure at both check in and check out that the local currency is being used. No more express check out internationally.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: