FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   No More Free Parking - Marriotts (and others) Near LAX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1732177-no-more-free-parking-marriotts-others-near-lax.html)

Mike Rivers Dec 16, 15 10:35 am

No More Free Parking - Marriotts (and others) Near LAX

I was looking for a place to spend the night before an early flight from LAX and discovered that places that properties that formerly had free parking are now charging for it. I've come to expect a charge for parking at the more "formal" hotels and downtown/business hotels, but the Courtyard in El Segundo, and the TownePlace and SpringhillSuite in Manhattan Beach, quite clear of the airport area, now charge $10.

I fear that the "all the other hotels around here charge for parking" disease is spreading. Hilton Garden, Embassy Suites, geez, even the dumpy Travelodge near LAX charges for parking.

Grumble, grumble, grumble.

SkiAdcock Dec 16, 15 12:24 pm

$10 per night or flat fee?

Cheers.

MSPeconomist Dec 16, 15 12:41 pm

Are you trying to park for just the night stayed or do you want to leave your car at the hotel while you're out of town?

catocony Dec 16, 15 3:27 pm

Wow, I have an upcoming stay at the Courtyard on Mariposa, and didn't notice at all that they're now charging $12 a day for parking. What a ripoff.

The Manhattan Beach Marriott has charged for parking for years. Not cheap either.

Mike Rivers Dec 17, 15 5:44 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 25874343)
$10 per night or flat fee?

Cheers.

The SpringHill and TownePlace charge $10/night for parking.

Mike Rivers Dec 17, 15 5:47 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25874453)
Are you trying to park for just the night stayed or do you want to leave your car at the hotel while you're out of town?

During my stay. The fee is clearly listed on the reservation confirmation. And furthermore, it says that if taxes or fees change between the time of the reservation and the stay, the fees at the time of the stay will apply. So they could raise (or drop) the parking fee before I get there.

Mike Rivers Dec 17, 15 5:55 am

Originally Posted by catocony (Post 25875371)
Wow, I have an upcoming stay at the Courtyard on Mariposa, and didn't notice at all that they're now charging $12 a day for parking. What a ripoff.

The Manhattan Beach Marriott has charged for parking for years. Not cheap either.

I realize that FTers can be very brand loyal to keep up a premium status, but if you don't mind a Hilton brand, you could switch to the Hilton Garden on Mariposa just down the block. It's quite nice. Surprisingly, they don't charge for parking even thouhgh they're right next to a Metro station.

I was going to stay at the Manhattan Beach SpringHill Suites this time because my Marriott points (not very many) were about to expire, but the parking fee pissed me off and I decided I might as well write off Marriotts and not worry about the points. But the Hilton Garden with taxes (and free parking) turned out to be $3 more than the SpringHill Suites with taxes and the parking fee (and a free simple breakfast if they open it up early enough so I can grab a bagel and still make my flight), so I gave Marriott another chance.

It's hard to be a cheapskate these days and stay in a decent hotel.

RogerD408 Dec 17, 15 6:25 am

See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25878443-post4.html

Maybe this thread should be merged and moved to the generic LAX thread.

jtwiz Dec 17, 15 8:27 am

The RI El Segundo still has free parking, per their website. I've stayed there a couple of times as it is literally right next door to my customer's office.

rdurlabhji Dec 17, 15 11:51 am

Drop your car off the night before and Uber to your hotel. Probably ends up costing the same and saves you the hassle and extra 30 minutes of an early morning dropoff.

Of note - National offers a free shuttle to hotels in the immediate LAX area (FS, Ren) so you don't even have to hassle with Uber.

Mike Rivers Dec 18, 15 5:26 am

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji (Post 25880011)
Drop your car off the night before and Uber to your hotel. Probably ends up costing the same and saves you the hassle and extra 30 minutes of an early morning dropoff.

Of note - National offers a free shuttle to hotels in the immediate LAX area (FS, Ren) so you don't even have to hassle with Uber.

I don't do Uber, though I had thought about that approach taking advantage of the hotel's airport shuttle. But if I arrive in the afternoon, I still need a place to put my car. There's always a way around it, but it makes staying close to the airport the night before a flight more difficult now than it used to be - or more expensive.

I understand that hotels are concerned about people using them as free airport parking lots, but there are ways that they could deal with that. It's pretty common for hotels to take your license plate number and give you a parking permit that you leave on your windshield when parked in their lot. I'm sure there are predatory towing companies out there who would be happy to keep their lots free of poachers and probabably even give them a kickback.

But they're just taking a cue from the airlines, finding another way of extracting more money from some of their guests without raising the published rate. A couple of years ago I was hit with a $5 "resort fee" at a Red Roof Inn in Las Vegas - the said it was because all the hotels there added that charge. By the next year they figured out that they weren't a resort and dropped the fee, but of course the rate was higher. And there was a time before cell phones when hotels were charging for making phone calls to a toll-free number. Maybe the unjustified parking fee will someday pass.

Often1 Dec 18, 15 6:55 am

It used to be a way to attract guests. With the economy on fire, there's no need, so rates go up. That includes the elimination of free parking. In the end, most people will pay because business travelers get reimbursed and leisure travelers won't contort themselves. They just shrug. Same thing as bag fees.

MSPeconomist Dec 18, 15 7:09 am

Some USA hotels still charge a fee to use their phone to call toll free (800, 877, etc.) numbers.

One time I stayed in a place that had a button on the phone labeled "weather." It made an outside call to some local weather recording and charged a fee for the call.

bmchris Dec 18, 15 12:24 pm

I recall, years ago, quite a few street parking options around LAX. Use google maps to identify the streets.

catocony Dec 19, 15 11:56 am

This Courtyard is in the middle of an office park, not right at the airport. It's within earshot of the airport, but that's about it. The Townplace Suites and Springhill are on the other side of Rosecrans, which definitely is not an airport hotel property.