Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

No More Free Parking - Marriotts (and others) Near LAX

No More Free Parking - Marriotts (and others) Near LAX

Old Dec 19, 15, 2:31 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by bmchris View Post
I recall, years ago, quite a few street parking options around LAX. Use google maps to identify the streets.
Abundant around the Renaissance, but scarce overnight.
Old Dec 20, 15, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catocony View Post
This Courtyard is in the middle of an office park, not right at the airport. It's within earshot of the airport, but that's about it. The Townplace Suites and Springhill are on the other side of Rosecrans, which definitely is not an airport hotel property.
Is your point that neither of these are "airport" hotels and can't use that as an excuse to charge for parking? No, I think that when a hotel needs to get more money for their rooms and they're sensitive to raising the published rate, they do what airlines do and add a fee - in this case for parking.

I'm particularly sensitive to this as I don't have an employer who reimburses me for all my travel expenses. And when I did, I'd still avoid places that charged for what I considered should be included with the room if there were reasonable alternatives. Once I discovered a $1 per day "phone" charge on my bill when I checked out of a hotel in Norfolk VA. When I asked what that was for since I hadn't made any phone calls, I was told "it's because there's a phone in your room." I didn't stay there again. I figured that next time they'd charge me for toilet paper or towels.

I suspect that hotels within 5 miles or so of an airport car rental facility have more than the average share of one-night stays like mine. I don't want to leave a hotel 25 miles from the airport at 5:30 AM to turn in my rental car and catch a 9 AM flight. And the near-airport hotels probably know this.
Old Dec 20, 15, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmchris View Post
I recall, years ago, quite a few street parking options around LAX. Use google maps to identify the streets.
This isn't about parking around LAX, but parking at, or very close to a hotel in the LAX area. But out of curiosity, what button on Google Maps will tell you the parking regulations on a street?
Old Dec 21, 15, 7:16 pm

can u see the signs on street view>?
Old Dec 22, 15, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Abundant around the Renaissance, but scarce overnight.
Just parked there last week very late at night - plenty of space from R towards Hertz. Small side street next to burger king was full though.
Old Dec 23, 15, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've had recent stays at the Manhattan Beach FS, where I paid the parking fee, and at the MB Springhill Suites, which didn't charge the parking fee even though it was on the property website. The parking for Springhill isn't configured for controlled parking. I didn't see parking passes on windshields. I was not asked if I had a car being parked overnight. Not sure if this fee is real for the Springhill.
Old Dec 24, 15, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food View Post
I've had recent stays at the Manhattan Beach FS, where I paid the parking fee, and at the MB Springhill Suites, which didn't charge the parking fee even though it was on the property website.
When I filled out the contact form with a complaint about what I felt was an unjustified parking fee, all I got back was a generic reply of "I will pass your comment on to [wherever]" rather than "I checked with the property and they don't have a parking fee. I'll have the web page corrected." But I guess that's what customer support has come to.

I just went back to the hotel site to check again and I see that there's an "Executive" room with the same description as the standard king+sofa room and the addition of free parking. Maybe that's a bonus for premium guests. However, when I plugged in the dates of my stay to see if the rate with free parking was higher than without, that category of room came up as "unavailable for your dates." Go figure.

I guess I'll find out when I get there in January. I don't recall whether they had a parking pass when I've been there in the past.

Last edited by Mike Rivers; Dec 24, 15 at 7:58 am
Old Feb 11, 16, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

I realized that I hadn't followed up on this. I stayed at the Towne Place Suites LAX (Hawthorne) at the end of January. When I checked in, I said to the clerk that I objected to their new policy of paid parking. He didn't ask me if I had a car, and didn't charge me for parking.

When I went out for dinner that evening I noticed that some, but not all of the cars in the lot had a parking permit on the dashboard. I asked the clerk (same one as checked me in) if my car would get towed away if I didn't have a parking permit and he assured me that it wouldn't, but he handed me a permit anyway, so I put it on my dashboard.

Still no charge for parking, so I guess it's either the "honor system" or else they accept the "I don't wanna pay" as sufficient.
Old Feb 13, 16, 3:24 am

Parking at SH Manhattan Beach

I stayed at the Springhill Suites MB in January. The website said there would be a parking fee. When I checked in, there was no mention of that, but when I went to my room, I found that they had given me a dashboard pass with my room key. I did put it on my dashboard, but I didn't get the idea it was essential or that anyone was checking --- which was reasonable. There was plenty of parking, and I see no reason why there should be a fee at this property.

Search this Thread