Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

marriott playa andaluza or marbella beach resort

Old Dec 15, 15, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

hi everyone,
we are doing a short tour of southern spain. we are going to base ourselves for 3 days in the marbella/malaga area. marriott has a great deal on the 2br rooms at both these resorts and i am having trouble deciding between them. any big differences? we are coming from gibralter and heading to granada but will use the hotel as a base to see ronda, marbella, malaga, and the surrounding towns for 3 nights. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

also, since i am marriott gold, can i expect breakfast at either property?
Old Dec 16, 15, 10:56 am

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
For me, The Marbella Beach Resort is far superior, the location, the resort, the ambiance. It's located between Marbella & Malaga, about 6 miles east of Old Town. I simply did not like the location of Playa Andaluza, the beach area is not very nice. Closer to Gibraltar, Estepona and about 5min drive to Puerto Banus. They are both vacation club timeshares. You can select a rate that includes breakfast.
Old Dec 16, 15, 11:48 am
Original Poster

thanks for the response.
we arent going to use the resort that much i assume since its winter time. would you still recommend marbella?

also, the breakfast rate is way more $. does gold status earn you anything at the timeshare properties?

thanks!
Old Dec 16, 15, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No gold benefits at timeshares.
Old Dec 16, 15, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT/ 1MM+, Marriott Gold
We stayed at Marbella for a week this summer as friends had a transfer in from their timeshare in CA. Place is nice but not overwhelming. The beach is OK, they charge for beach chairs when you use them. There are only a handful (like 6) truly beachfront suites, the rest are "beach view" as they are angled such that every balcony faces the beach at an angle.

Beds in secondary rooms can be made up as kings ize beds even thought they come as two twins.

Overall not bad, especially since it was free.
Old Dec 16, 15, 9:30 pm

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
Originally Posted by rgm18 View Post
we arent going to use the resort that much i assume since its winter time. would you still recommend marbella?
I just spent almost a week there over Thanksgiving. It was warm enough out to sit out during the day, but not swim in the outdoor pools. However, there are indoor pools, saunas, a decent fitness center, etc. The units are also very nice, with good internet. You probably won't get a (great) water view, as even though it was as off peak as it gets the place still had a fair number of guests, presumably many of whom are timeshare members.

Overall, I'd go back. It's easy access with a car to wherever you want to go, and if you want to go drinking in the old town or something a cab is pretty reasonably priced.

BTW, the hotel breakfast is pretty good and not terribly expensive by hotel standards, especially with the plummeting Euro... self service mimosa, fancy spanish ham, cook-to-order station, etc.

Originally Posted by geepmaley View Post
The beach is OK, they charge for beach chairs when you use them.
To be clear, "they" is not the Marriott. The beach chairs are run by a local vendor.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: