Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best non-stay way to get Marriott points

Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:21 pm
ymx
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist

Wondering if the experts here can share the current highest value ways to accrue Marriott points without stays?

I am looking to extend my Southwest Companion pass and looking into the Marriott hotel and flight package that converts 200,000 Marriott points into 7 day stay plus 50,000 companion pass qualifying Southwest RR points.

I am short by 122,000 Marriott points.

I'm wondering about straight out purchasing points through Marriott if there are any promos going on, or purchasing points through another program and transferring to Marriott if there is a promotions high value conversion.

I already have a Marriott personal premier CC and a Marriott business regular CC. Not sure if a signup bonus on an additional card - if I could get approved say for the business premiere - would be a better option.

Thanks so much for your help!
Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Do you have status with United? If so, I think I saw somewhere that you can xfer their points to Marriott 1:1. I'm a Delta gal so not that familiar with Mileage Plus so maybe to others can confirm.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by ymx
Wondering if the experts here can share the current highest value ways to accrue Marriott points without stays?

I am looking to extend my Southwest Companion pass and looking into the Marriott hotel and flight package that converts 200,000 Marriott points into 7 day stay plus 50,000 companion pass qualifying Southwest RR points.

I am short by 122,000 Marriott points.

I'm wondering about straight out purchasing points through Marriott if there are any promos going on, or purchasing points through another program and transferring to Marriott if there is a promotions high value conversion.

I already have a Marriott personal premier CC and a Marriott business regular CC. Not sure if a signup bonus on an additional card - if I could get approved say for the business premiere - would be a better option.

Thanks so much for your help!
How quickly do you need this to happen?

We pay every bill via the CC. But that takes some time.

I seem to remember that booking a Marriott conference room earned you a lot of points, at one time. But I can't remember why.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Not sure if this will post quickly enough for you, but here's another idea.

You can consider signing up for a Chase Ink Plus (Business) credit card. The current sign up bonus is 60K Chase Ultimate Reward points for 5K spending within 3 months. Chase UR points are transferable to Marriott.

The Ink Plus is a great card for the bonus categories - you earn 5X points per $1 on the first $50,000 spent in combined purchases at office supply stores and on cellular phone, landline, internet and cable TV services each account anniversary year. Most of us have pretty good size phone, Internet, and TV bills. Office supply spending is also an easy category. So your UR points balance will likely build quickly.

Chase UR points are a valuable commodity because they transfer to a wide variety of programs. Many would say that transferring UR points to Marriott is not the best use of UR points, but I think you can argue that it is worthwhile if you have a special Marriott redemption in mind.

By the way, if you are interested in an Ink Plus, Chase is running a "Refer a friend" promo right now. I'm an Ink Plus cardholder, so I'd be glad to refer you. If you're interested, just PM me (click my name to the left of this message) with your email address.

Last edited by GetawaysRus; Nov 5, 2015 at 8:18 am
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
How quickly do you need this to happen?

We pay every bill via the CC. But that takes some time.

I seem to remember that booking a Marriott conference room earned you a lot of points, at one time. But I can't remember why.
It gets you 10 room nights for status, but not many points (3/$ or something like that). Being responsible for a large meeting can get you up to 50,000 points.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: None - previously UA
There is an 87.5k credit card offer at the moment. If you have one already get one for your spouse.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:22 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
If you have one already get one for your spouse.
And/or you could look at getting the Chase/Marriott Business VISA as well (for both of you too.)
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:07 pm
ymx
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:27 am

Do you have future upcoming Marriott stays? Buy the Marriott giftcards with your Marriott credit card to earn you your 5x. Combine that with your new credit cards it might put you over what you need.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.