Dates:
Award stay:
Room type booked:
Room type received:
Elite Level:
Plat Arrival Gift:
Other Gift of Benefit:
Comments:

If you were made aware of an upgrade in advance, such as through e-mail or a preassigned upgrade in your reservation, put it in the comments.
Print Wikipost

Questions about getting upgraded

Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Similarly, people who aren't even members of MR can ask for upgrades. However, I consider it tacky to ask for an upgrade to which one is not entitled.
There are a lot of things & people I consider tacky, but a Silver politely requesting an upgrade is not one of them.

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Even as Silver you can add that to your ressie. Whether you get it or not is up for debate, given the # of Plats & Golds ahead of you.

Cheers.
Not a bad idea, I think I might try it next time. Tacky or not, all they can say is no, right?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Not a bad idea, I think I might try it next time. Tacky or not, all they can say is no, right?
Exactly. There's a place when you've doing the online ressie that you can put the request in. It's limited in terms of characters. I normally do something like request Platinum upgrade if available. I think there are only two properties where I say request suite upgrade if it's available, but those are two I stay at on a regular basis. Otherwise I've always kept it more generic.

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Similarly, people who aren't even members of MR can ask for upgrades. However, I consider it tacky to ask for an upgrade to which one is not entitled.
What about asking for an upgrade above what the program provides for? Would that be tacky as well?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SW RR+ Companion, Avis President's Club
I'm sure the OP will appreciate the links where the topic has been discussed many times.

Cheers.
I do indeed! Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clarkef
What about asking for an upgrade above what the program provides for? Would that be tacky as well?
I kind of feel like anyone who asks, calls, emails, every week for every stay is tacky. If 40 stays a year are business travelling alone, and 5 are leisure with companions, save it for those.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 3:33 pm

What I think is extremely tacky: Marriott properties not honoring elite bennies, such as not upgrading Golds/Plats when there IS availability.

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
What I think is extremely tacky: Marriott properties not honoring elite bennies, such as not upgrading Golds/Plats when there IS availability.
Yup! Totally agree. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been "automatically" upgraded. 99 percent of the time I have to ask.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I kind of feel like anyone who asks, calls, emails, every week for every stay is tacky. If 40 stays a year are business travelling alone, and 5 are leisure with companions, save it for those.
This of course is the ultimate IMO. I'd be very content to be on the CL level 40 weeks a year then have 2 or 3 stays a year in a suite guaranteed (or a low cost purchasing opportunity). I think other chains have something similar but I'm locked into Marriott now for life...
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:27 pm
Suspended

they already have it IF you travel to asia
https://www.marriott.com/hotel-promo...ite-upgrade.mi

Originally Posted by joshua362
This of course is the ultimate IMO. I'd be very content to be on the CL level 40 weeks a year then have 2 or 3 stays a year in a suite guaranteed (or a low cost purchasing opportunity). I think other chains have something similar but I'm locked into Marriott now for life...
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by clarkef
I wouldn't consider a polite request tacky.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by leeky
they already have it IF you travel to asia
https://www.marriott.com/hotel-promo...ite-upgrade.mi
"Complimentary Suite Upgrade: Generally, based on availability at check-in; in some cases, availability is determined later in the day."

I don't see how that differs from what I see in the US.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:07 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
If upgrades are that important to you you may want to look at Hyatt's program. They offer suite upgrades that can be confirmed at booking. My experience is that Platinum members are upgraded at Marriott about 2% - 3% of the time.
I am upgraded about 80% of the time actually. Usually, I state, "Platinum upgrades appreciated," in the virtual concierge if there is an option. Otherwise, I just ask at the desk. I did that yesterday.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:19 pm
Suspended

As a Platinum Elite member, your next visit to any Marriott International hotel in Asia Pacific could offer a pleasant surprise a complimentary suite upgrade when a suite is available.

Difference is std upgrade outside of asia to suite upgrade in asia

Originally Posted by sethb
"Complimentary Suite Upgrade: Generally, based on availability at check-in; in some cases, availability is determined later in the day."

I don't see how that differs from what I see in the US.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:56 pm

Cheers.
The problem is you can never "prove" there is availaility

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.