Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Shortening reservation length & not losing good rate...any tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shortening reservation length & not losing good rate...any tips?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Anaom

I have also done this with Marriott CS when I've called the platinum line and told them I needed to shorten my stay. Unlike SPG, it has worked 100% with me and I haven't lost the rate I reserved.

-A
agreed. Done that many times. Works unless the rate requires some sort of stay requirement.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by leeky
Maybe I'm missing something but isn't the OPs question and previous responses all about SHORTENING a stay?
Yes, and I already responded to that, saying that shortening a stay isn't a problem. I am also pointing out that lengthening a stay at the same rate is rarely an issue as well. The point is that most hotel front desks will do their best to accommodate.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming that this is not a prepaid rate, there is no reason to do anything until check-in. When the FD says something such as "with us for 2 nights?" just respond, "no, just one..." Nothing more, nothing less. No reason to make this more than it is. Which is nothing.

If the rate is only available for a 2-night minimum, do not, do not, do not call ahead. Simply adjust at check-in. FD clerks don't care. Others may.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Often1
Presuming that this is not a prepaid rate, there is no reason to do anything until check-in. When the FD says something such as "with us for 2 nights?" just respond, "no, just one..." Nothing more, nothing less. No reason to make this more than it is. Which is nothing.

If the rate is only available for a 2-night minimum, do not, do not, do not call ahead. Simply adjust at check-in. FD clerks don't care. Others may.
This for sure. And conversely do this when you need extra nights when your rate isn't available past your check in date.

Although I do have a "funny" story at the Farmington, CT Marriott years ago where 3 of us stayed a work week and it was significantly cheaper to book Thursday night separately from Mon-Wed (roughly $159 vs $79). The FD clerk literally had a hissy fit when he saw what we had done and claimed the Thursday night rate was not designed for business travelers like ourselves as if the money was coming out of his pocket. Grudgingly he combined the reservations but banished one of us to a basement room complete with ants, in spite!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:14 pm
Suspended

And there have been numerous posts of others being denied to extend additional nights when the prop is sold out, using an LNF rate and other reasons (when stated).

Originally Posted by flyerfmaz
I am also pointing out that lengthening a stay at the same rate is rarely an issue as well. The point is that most hotel front desks will do their best to accommodate.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Just wanted to follow up on this, I broke the news that I would not be doing a 2nd night at check-in and it went swimmingly.

A first for me was getting a card that said if I refuse maid service for 3 nights I'll get so many points or something. I forget the particulars. I've been waiting for them to do this since I dislike maid service anyway but I haven't seen other properties do it. This was a Renaissance fyi.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Marko123

A first for me was getting a card that said if I refuse maid service for 3 nights I'll get so many points or something. I forget the particulars. I've been waiting for them to do this since I dislike maid service anyway but I haven't seen other properties do it. This was a Renaissance fyi.
There's a thread on the housekeeping/points thing, but I'm too lazy to search for it. It's not universal across all properties or brands; seems to be an individual thing.

Cheers.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
There's a thread on the housekeeping/points thing, but I'm too lazy to search for it. It's not universal across all properties or brands; seems to be an individual thing.

Cheers.
Thanks I'll take a look.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.