FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Will make Lifetime Platinum in 1 year - meanwhile switch to Hilton - sound strategy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1702693-will-make-lifetime-platinum-1-year-meanwhile-switch-hilton-sound-strategy.html)

bmchris Aug 14, 2015 11:46 am

Will make Lifetime Platinum in 1 year - meanwhile switch to Hilton - sound strategy?

I'm wondering if I'm missing anything from this strategy.

Currently requalified for Platinum, and am about 250K points short of LT Plat (over 1,500 LT nights). I'm Hilton Gold, and will lose that if I don't work on it. I can choose my hotels, but often will choose based on convenience for work.

I figure that, all things being equal, I can make the 250K points needed for LT in 2016. 250K points = $16,666 = 83 nights at $200/night. I project that I can make that in 2016 if nothing changes work wise. I've been doing my job for 15 years, so change next year is unlikely.

So even if I switch to working on my Hilton status, I will still enjoy uninterrupted Platinum status and benefits through 2015, 2016 and forever on (unless Marriott changes their program). There's little status earning incentive to stay with Marriott in 2015 any more. I'll still use Marriott for redemptions and when it makes sense location wise.

What am I missing?

freeflyin Aug 14, 2015 12:25 pm

[QUOTE=bmchris;25271310

So even if I switch to working on my Hilton status, I will still enjoy uninterrupted Platinum status and benefits through 2015, 2016 and forever on (unless Marriott changes their program). There's little status earning incentive to stay with Marriott in 2015 any more. I'll still use Marriott for redemptions and when it makes sense location wise.

What am I missing?[/QUOTE]

I have been using a similar strategy,and I am only 15 nights from LTP with Marriott.

Without a current bonus promo as incentive at Marriott, I have been staying at Hiltons and Hyatts whenever possible,yet redeeming with Marriott.

I will readjust my plans in Q4,depending on what promos may be offered.

bmchris Aug 14, 2015 12:29 pm

Good point on the Megabonus. I like those and would stay at Marriott for those.

SkiAdcock Aug 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by bmchris (Post 25271546)
Good point on the Megabonus. I like those and would stay at Marriott for those.

Next Megabonus starts in September.

jjmoore Aug 14, 2015 4:49 pm

Newp... I would never change from Marriott - the points redemption travel packages are unbeatable. No other program offers a nearly 2:1 points to UA miles conversion alone... not to mention a 7 day stay at a Cat5 hotel... all for 270,000pts.

I am in the same boat... wondered if I should start diversifying after making LT PT next year, but I am not going to. The points are simply too valuable, and my vacation destinations have Marriott properties... no point in changing.

MSPeconomist Aug 14, 2015 11:38 pm

If OP is likely to be a candidate for PP that could make a difference, but probably shouldn't because PP get almost no benefits beyond what ordinary Platinims receive.

CPRich Aug 14, 2015 11:38 pm

If your travel plans allow, keeping up on 2 programs is a great strategy. I kept MR and SPG PLT status for 10 years until I hit LT PLT in both. It provides a diversity of locations/awards.

leeky Aug 15, 2015 2:30 am

an option - there are at least 2 credit cards (Citi & AX) that will give you HH G w/o any stays and there are numerous fast track offers that will get ya HH G with only a few stays.

(I've had the Citi card for HH G and made LT Marriott in this manner)

Originally Posted by bmchris (Post 25271310)
I'm wondering if I'm missing anything from this strategy.

Currently requalified for Platinum, and am about 250K points short of LT Plat (over 1,500 LT nights). I'm Hilton Gold, and will lose that if I don't work on it. I can choose my hotels, but often will choose based on convenience for work.

I figure that, all things being equal, I can make the 250K points needed for LT in 2016. 250K points = $16,666 = 83 nights at $200/night. I project that I can make that in 2016 if nothing changes work wise. I've been doing my job for 15 years, so change next year is unlikely.

What am I missing?

darthbimmer Aug 15, 2015 2:58 am

Originally Posted by bmchris (Post 25271310)

With your level of travel it's feasible to maintain both top tier status in one program and mid-tier status (or better) in another. And that's the wise thing for someone at your level to do. With two programs you maximize your ability to pick hotels based on quality/price/convenience when paying cash as well as increase your ability to find a good value when redeeming points.

Michilander Aug 15, 2015 6:11 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore (Post 25272642)
Newp... I would never change from Marriott - the points redemption travel packages are unbeatable. No other program offers a nearly 2:1 points to UA miles conversion alone

How are you getting 2:1 on points to UA miles?

3Cforme Aug 15, 2015 7:25 am

Originally Posted by leeky (Post 25274064)
an option - there are at least 2 credit cards (Citi & AX) that will give you HH G w/o any stays and there are numerous fast track offers that will get ya HH G with only a few stays.

HHonors Gold isn't worth much IMHO.

joshua362 Aug 15, 2015 7:47 am

I would consider SPG before Hilton given the horrible devaluations of Hilton in the past.

jjmoore Aug 15, 2015 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Michilander (Post 25274407)
How are you getting 2:1 on points to UA miles?

Via travel packages. 270,000 MR points converts to 132,000 UA miles and a 7 night stay in a Cat5 hotel.

bmchris Aug 15, 2015 10:24 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 25274628)
HHonors Gold isn't worth much IMHO.

I'll try and make Diamond. But with only 4 months and holidays, it's not a given.

Michilander Aug 15, 2015 11:00 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore (Post 25274969)
Via travel packages. 270,000 MR points converts to 132,000 UA miles and a 7 night stay in a Cat5 hotel.

Ahh. OK. I thought you meant you had found a way to get two UA miles for each Marriott point and I was jealous ;). I see the travel packages as transferring 120,000 MR points to UA for 132,000 miles. Either way, I think we can agree they are a great deal for using MR points.