Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Will make Lifetime Platinum in 1 year - meanwhile switch to Hilton - sound strategy?

Will make Lifetime Platinum in 1 year - meanwhile switch to Hilton - sound strategy?

Old Aug 15, 15, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I made Lifetime Platinum last year and switched to HH this year after they match-challenged me to Diamond. Before that, I focused on Marriott fearing that rules might change any time.

Marriott Rewards definitely offers better redemption values. HH also has the thing where MANY hotels do not participate in promotions. People on the HH Forum also debate whether Diamond has enough difference from Gold.

Since HH is my company's preferred supplier, it is a lot easier for me to stay with HH (i.e. I don't have to beat the price to stay at a Marriott property). Otherwise, I think Marriott is a much better arrangement for me.

At the end of the day, all the good things in various programs are being chipped away little by little. So, enjoy while they last.
Old Aug 15, 15, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA Gold MM, Hilton LTD, Marriott LTP, Hertz PC
I'm just short of lifetime platinum with Marriott (about 40 and already have plat for 2016). I can just wait it out at 15 nites a year from my CC. This is what I think I will do as I am about 80 paid nights from lifetime Diamond with Hilton. Looks like I may stop my constant travel for work sometime next year and I think this is the best strategy to reach lifetime top tier with both.

If I make lifetime with Hilton before I cut back on business travel, I'll switch back and finish with Marriott.
Old Aug 15, 15, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Do you have to choose 1 hotel for travel packages? I usually wouldn't think of spending 7 nights in the 1 hotel. Perhaps 3 and 4 in 2 locations.
Old Aug 15, 15, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by bmchris View Post
Do you have to choose 1 hotel for travel packages? I usually wouldn't think of spending 7 nights in the 1 hotel. Perhaps 3 and 4 in 2 locations.
Yes, you must stay at the same hotel for a travel package.
Old Aug 16, 15, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by den1k View Post
I'm just short of lifetime platinum with Marriott (about 40 and already have plat for 2016). I can just wait it out at 15 nites a year from my CC. This is what I think I will do as I am about 80 paid nights from lifetime Diamond with Hilton. Looks like I may stop my constant travel for work sometime next year and I think this is the best strategy to reach lifetime top tier with both.

If I make lifetime with Hilton before I cut back on business travel, I'll switch back and finish with Marriott.
When your travel pattern supports making LTP with two programs (roughly comparable ones, anyway) it's a no-brainer to do both. There's room to debate whether HH or MR offers better elite benefits, but sometimes the key issue is one of them has a hotel right next to the place you're traveling to visit while the other is a good distance away. With two programs you greatly improve your ability to select whichever is better given your priorities for a specific trip.
Old Aug 16, 15, 12:24 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
If I were you I would think of either SPG or Hyatt - to be honest, I really think their points very valuable and their status more beneficial.
Old Aug 16, 15, 5:53 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Tommys888 View Post
If I were you I would think of either SPG or Hyatt - to be honest, I really think their points very valuable and their status more beneficial.
I would order them Hyatt and then SPG.
Old Aug 16, 15, 7:32 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
I would consider SPG before Hilton given the horrible devaluations of Hilton in the past.
Agreed I don't trust them either I will stay with them when I need to but would never use them as my primary chain. I find they often don't have standard awards just their dynamic ones which are pretty terrible value.
Old Aug 17, 15, 4:05 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
The problem with HH are:

1. The hotels. Here in the UK, Hiltons were double franchised, the actual Hiltons were decent, but the second Hilton franchise called "National" were like the cheapest, dumpiest Holiday Inn, but at Marriott prices. Yuk!

2. The loyalty scheme, it costs a fortune to redeem, yes, you get more points but OMG, you need them. I recently did a months US/Canada Roadtrip with 4 teenagers. Multiple rooms at every stop, none of which were at aspirational HH top tiers, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, NYC, DC, Niagara and a few small towns.

To earn the points for the Roadtrip required spending as follows:

A) Marriott Plat 42,000
B) IHG Plat 48,000
C) HH Diamond 55,000... Double Yuk!!

And, the final problem:

3. Paris Hilton... Triple Yuk!!!
Old Aug 17, 15, 9:29 pm

I should make lifetime plat by the end of September, and I am in the same boat. I just spent 15 nights at an Omni property (since Marriott did not have the summer promo), and I was pleased with that chain. Since I have not noticed a single benefit in being plat premier over regular plat, I will probably spend more and more time at a second chain to diversify my options for personal travel once I hit 2 million points next month.
Old Aug 18, 15, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by den1k View Post

You should periodically double check that the 15 credit card nights are enough to keep your points from expiring.
Old Aug 18, 15, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
You should periodically double check that the 15 credit card nights are enough to keep your points from expiring.
For someone who's holding the CC for the 15 EQN benefit it should be trivial to charge an occasional purchase to the card. The points from the purchase will keep the balance in the MR account from expiring.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: