Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Roll call: Marriott brand properties WITHOUT desks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mjcewl1284
USA

California

* Beverly Hills Marriott
* SFO Airport Marriott (some rooms have desks; others don't)

Florida

* Renaissance Boca Raton (most rooms also without dressers)
* North Ft. Lauderdale Marriott (also, 2 drawers are the size of desk drawers, not chest drawers)

Georgia

* Atlanta Marriott Marquis

Illinois

* Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile
* Renaissance Chicago Downtown
* Residence Inn Chicago Downtown (xx07 & xx19 rooms definitely do not have desks; rooms xx14 do)

Indiana
*Residence Inn Ft. Wayne (front desk says some studios & 1BR's still have desks, but the 2BR/2BA suites do not.

Oklahoma

* Oklahoma City Marriott Waterford

Missouri

* St. Louis Marriott Grand

New Jersey

* EWR Marriott (see post)

New York

* Buffalo Marriott
* Residence Inn New York Manhattan Times Square

North Carolina

* Charlotte City Center Marriott (see post #28)
* Raleigh Marriott Crabtree Valley (also no luggage rack; no storage)

Texas

* IAH Marriott

Canada

* Calgary Marriott

Germany

* Stuttgart Marriott (some have them; some don't - might be only exec level rooms that have them)

England/United Kingdom

* London County Hall Marriott (newly refurbished rooms only)

Japan

* Courtyard Tokyo Station

Mexico

*Puebla Marriott (Newer side building)

Netherlands

* Amsterdam Marriott (some rooms have desks; some rooms don't - you'll need to request one w/ desk)

Puerto Rico

* San Juan La Concha (quite a few rooms don't have desks)

South Korea

* Courtyard Seoul Namdaemun
Print Wikipost

Roll call: Marriott brand properties WITHOUT desks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
In the idiots design thread, some FTers have reported that at certain properties management is bringing back some type of desk due to complaints so I wouldn't say it's a dead horse/not coming back.
As long as this isn't their definition of a desk:

Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, UA LT Gold, Hertz PC, 5 MM+ miles
List of Marriott Properties That Have Removed Desks a Great Idea

Thanks for starting this list of Marriott properties that have removed desks from all guest rooms.

Thanks also for the picture of an ironing board. But for that, there's risk the Marriott design team would spend another $225,000 on a consultant to show how an ironing board provides a multi-use surface, including as a desk.

My suggestion is also that Marriott guests (a) go to the Marriott web site, go to contacts, and make your views known; and (b) start posting your reviews at Trip Advisor and similar, more general-use web sites. Call it crowd sourcing.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior200
Thanks for starting this list of Marriott properties that have removed desks from all guest rooms.

Thanks also for the picture of an ironing board. But for that, there's risk the Marriott design team would spend another $225,000 on a consultant to show how an ironing board provides a multi-use surface, including as a desk.

My suggestion is also that Marriott guests (a) go to the Marriott web site, go to contacts, and make your views known; and (b) start posting your reviews at Trip Advisor and similar, more general-use web sites. Call it crowd sourcing.
... and tweet @Marriott? But not a DM as that is private.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:16 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
When I stayed in a renovated SFO Airport room in March, it had a desk--though it looked like old furniture
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM Lifetime PLT, Hyatt LT Diamond, Marriott LT PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I guess Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood and Holiday Inn will be the only business hotel chains left.
Hyatt has also moved in this direction with at least two of their renovated properties [Boston Harbor and Boston Regency Financial District are two I'm aware of - so far...], and an email exchange I had with management at one of them made it clear they don't understand why some business travelers need a standard desk and chair to get work done. No doubt the same comes into play with Marriott's pandering to their perceptions of Millennials' preferences.

Great thread - Will be VERY useful for future travels!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Scottie
Great thread - Will be VERY useful for future travels!
Only if FTers report the properties that go the no desk route. As with the exec lounge sticky, I'm dependent on FTers posting to keep the wiki current.

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
One Hyatt House renovated without desks, but at least there's a table in the kitchen that's usable. I did complain about the lack of desks, and management listened (I don't know if they'll do anything, of course).
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by CJKatl
As long as this isn't their definition of a desk:

That isn't too far off from what I saw at the Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile. Basically a small stand that hung over a wall bench serving as a couch...
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Any pics of these new styled rooms?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
I had short overnight stay at the IAH Marriott in a renovated room and don't remember seeing a desk in the room.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Calgary Marriott, which I used to love, has renovated to no desks. I was there in early June.

I called and asked for a room with a desk, but none were to be had. The moved me to a nicer room (if you get a chance, get a room with an *08 number), but still no desk. It had hard backed chairs and a "modern" end table that I could arrange as a desk.

If that were not available, I was going to see if I could get a desk chair from one of the conference rooms, but I've heard that is a tough request to fill.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Stayed at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis this weekend. No desk. One small usable drawer. Does have the new Netflix/YouTube/Miracast Internet TV, but it kept logging me out despite implying that would only happen on checkout. The room also had a power outlet that was only accessible with the sliding bathroom door closed (though power was available via bedside lamps). Not feeling particularly impress with their renovations.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Just given a remodeled room in the Charlotte City Center Marriott. Lots of changes:

Bad:
No desk - instead, a small oval table that is too high to work on while sitting on the couch, but about right while sitting on the bed.
No chairs - replaced by a long couch against the window
No luggage rack - but a bench under the TV serves the same purpose
Smaller room? not sure, but it looks smaller to me.
Rolling glass door to the bathroom - actually, I don't care about this, but many do. I do find that due to the door, it's too bright to leave the bathroom light on at night, which I usually do to avoid midnight disorientation.
Got rid of HBO (and maybe some other channels - not sure, I'm not much of a tv watcher, but HBO is definitely gone).
No more carpet in the room - instead it's a grey substance that looks like wood flooring but feels like vinyl.
Shower head is different (square rain type) and mounted a bit lower that they were (which matters to me at 6'3", but won't to 6' and under).

Good: the tv is bigger.

Of course, I'm not a millennial, so perhaps all of these changes are actually good and I'm just not cool enough to realize it.

I'm torn, because I really like the location (5 blocks from work) and the availability of the lounge and room service. however, I use a desk a lot, and I really dislike the hard floor.

Probably move over to the Courtyard or the FI next trip and give them a chance.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by greenskin
Smaller room? not sure, but it looks smaller to me.
Relatively unlikely: moving walls is very expensive. And increasing the number of rooms by making each of them smaller is unlikely to be worthwhile (consider the amount of plumbing that would have to be done).
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
I am at the Bethesda, MD marriott (pools hill road) in one of the newly renovated rooms. There is no desk, but the chaise lounge/sofa/ikea thingy has a tray table stand you can work on.

I miss a reclining desk chair more than anything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.