Wiki Posts
Search

New Marriott Security Measures

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If I have to do a password update, I'd rather have it be an incidental update after I have gone directly to the marriott.com site on my own instead of being directed there by an emailed link.

The cat and mouse game continues -- in large part because of government and corporate practices, but also because of consumer laziness. This won't put a stop to the cat and mouse games.

Originally Posted by Often1
Maybe Marriott should have a zero-liability opt-in. You can use the non-secure single authentication if you want, but you agree to hold Marriott harmless from any liability for a hack.
I doubt that such an approach would be upheld as legal in all the markets where Marriott operates -- not that Marriott will go to such an anti-consumer extreme as you suggest and let it get to the point of being tested.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SS255
Not too long ago my company moved toward 2-factor authentication for many applications. Yes, it's a bit of a rigamarole, but certainly preferable to getting hacked and having to deal with the consequences of a total stranger enjoying the fruits of your labor.
Well there was a reason your company moved to that; too bad they didn't do it sooner (sorry, couldn't resist )

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Something to consider for the future: Account security is indeed important which is why I'm not going to click on a link in an email asking me to update or verify account info. I was immediately suspicious of the email Marriott sent me because it asked me to click on a link. If Marriott is serious about account security then send me an email asking me to go to the Marriott website on my own and verify/update whatever info is required. Encouraging people to click on links in emails is not indicative of concern regarding security. Just my two cents.
Agree.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Didn't they already increase the minimum password length a year or so ago? I remember having to go from 6 to 8 characters.

Anyway, by using password alone, Marriott seems light year ahead of IHG Club which still uses only PIN, UA which allows only PIN despite also having passwords, and even Hilton which just dropped PIN only a couple a months ago. An 8-character password (with some rules about how it must be formed) seems light-years ahead of a numeric-only 4-digit PIN!
Agree with most of the above, except the United part. I've only ever used a password with UA, not a PIN.

Originally Posted by apodo77
I believe Marriott is at least 8 characters and has to have at least one number and one upper case letter the last time I changed it. May be misremembering that but it was about a month ago.
I think it has a length requirement & perhaps a symbol or character, but it still accepts lower case on the letters. Last year I switched my password to 14 numbers/letters (no symbol & no caps) & it still works.

Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
So basically Marriott is asking you to provide a phone number and email to get ready for their new authentication. Presumably if you already have that and you'r e happy with it there should be no problem.

Fwiw - I thought Marriott was going to ask for a stronger password. If hackers can already access my account, they'd already have my email and phone number.

Cheers
The horror of a possible extra 10-15 seconds to complete an award reservation.
Depending on how it is implemented, it can be quite a problem. When my credit union went to enhanced security, they required a phone number to send SMS code...no other option presented. Well for those of us that are global, that is a ridiculous requirement. My phone number changes quite often, depending on where in the world I am and what SIM card(s) are in my phone. They finally relented and allowed the use of an email account instead of a phone number, but it was a pain to get that exception.

I am quite supportive of enhanced security, but design it to work for everyone.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21

Agree.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Well there was a reason your company moved to that; too bad they didn't do it sooner (sorry, couldn't resist )

Ouch.

But at least it makes the transition to Marriott's 2-factor authentication an easy one.

Where it tends to get tricky is when you are using inflight wifi, and can only use one device at a time. If you want to log into Marriott's site through your laptop, and you have no mechanism for receiving a text on your laptop, you are hosed. I had to have our I.T. department set me up with a special token on my iPhone to enable me to get the code in an off-line environment on my phone, so that I could type it into my laptop while it was connected to the inflight wifi.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:31 am

I don't have a problem with requiring 2FA, depending on how it's implemented.

Agree with most of the above, except the United part. I've only ever used a password with UA, not a PIN.
Whether you use it or not, your UA account has a 4 digit PIN associated to.
All of them do, even if you didn't set it.
That 4 digit number and your MP # are all it takes to get in to your account.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by SS255

Where it tends to get tricky is when you are using inflight wifi, and can only use one device at a time. If you want to log into Marriott's site through your laptop, and you have no mechanism for receiving a text on your laptop, you are hosed. I had to have our I.T. department set me up with a special token on my iPhone to enable me to get the code in an off-line environment on my phone, so that I could type it into my laptop while it was connected to the inflight wifi.
I got a headache reading that.

Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
The real issue (and I get this problem with banks often) is that you have to give a phone number to receive an voice or text code in order to proceed. Now the entity has your cell phone number and some how it get passed to marketers and abused, no matter what your "privacy" preferences are. So I only give out a number I don't care about (which causes more problems...)
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Depending on how it is implemented, it can be quite a problem. When my credit union went to enhanced security, they required a phone number to send SMS code...no other option presented. Well for those of us that are global, that is a ridiculous requirement. My phone number changes quite often, depending on where in the world I am and what SIM card(s) are in my phone. They finally relented and allowed the use of an email account instead of a phone number, but it was a pain to get that exception.

I have used the enhanced method on PayPal, Chase and Citi and they always give you the option to have it texted or emailed.
Also on PayPal you can actually bypass it by answering a couple of security questions (only works once before having to use the code).
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by joshua362
The real issue (and I get this problem with banks often) is that you have to give a phone number to receive an voice or text code in order to proceed. Now the entity has your cell phone number and some how it get passed to marketers and abused, no matter what your "privacy" preferences are. So I only give out a number I don't care about (which causes more problems...)
The code can be emailed as well if it is like the ones I posted above.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Times thousands of customers a day, times 365 days a tear, times the growing number of companies going to multi-factor, with minimum password lengths of 14 or 18 characters, upper and lower case required, special characters required, can't be one of your last 24 passwords, must change quarterly, or monthly, or weekly...

The net result is far less productivity, AND far less security, as people go back to the Post-It method of password "security."

Shame on Marriott and other companies for foisting IT security off on its customers.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:26 pm

I find part of the e-mail laughable -- When I'm cracking passwords at my job (fun job), uppercase, numbers, and keyboard symbols are already part of the rainbow tables we use and in our brute-force algorithms in the server farm. I've not run a brute-force with only lowercase characters in over 10 years, probably longer than that.

Length, not complexity, is what stops hackers. In my office we now have a 16-character minimum, but we use pass phrases instead of passwords.

My gripe is that most 2-factor auths are done via SMS(Text message for the Yanks). Nice if I'm in my home country, but if I'm abroad I usually have yanked the SIM on my mobile and am using a local SIM instead. Also, depending on what I'm working on, my mobile phone might not be allowed to be carried with me.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:28 pm

The code can be emailed as well if it is like the ones I posted above.
THIS is exactly why I encourage everyone to have the longest pass phrase their e-mail system will allow. Once you get into someone's e-mail, you have their entire life. Just start entering their e-mail addy into various sites, click Forgot Password, and get a fresh one e-mailed to you.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by KRSW
THIS is exactly why I encourage everyone to have the longest pass phrase their e-mail system will allow. Once you get into someone's e-mail, you have their entire life. Just start entering their e-mail addy into various sites, click Forgot Password, and get a fresh one e-mailed to you.
So true, Grate advice!
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I have used the enhanced method on PayPal, Chase and Citi and they always give you the option to have it texted or emailed.
Also on PayPal you can actually bypass it by answering a couple of security questions (only works once before having to use the code).
This is what I have now, but as I stated up-thread, it was not offered at program inception. I had to escalate several levels at the Credit Union to get the email option.

At the outset, it was a phone number for an SMS...or nothing.

Originally Posted by KRSW

My gripe is that most 2-factor auths are done via SMS(Text message for the Yanks). Nice if I'm in my home country, but if I'm abroad I usually have yanked the SIM on my mobile and am using a local SIM instead. Also, depending on what I'm working on, my mobile phone might not be allowed to be carried with me.
This. Exactly true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.