Wiki Posts
Search

Please bring back Ice Machines!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum
Please bring back Ice Machines!!

I have noticed, in the UK at least, that more and more Marriotts are removing their ice machines. Went to Bristol City last week and found that they have no ice machines any longer. Used to be one on all 10 floors. I haven't been to Glasgow recently, but have read that they have removed theirs - "to enhance the guest experience" - no less! Swindon got rid of theirs in the last couple of years. I have been to some Marriotts, such as Birmingham, Manchester Airport, Hanbury Manor where there never seems to have been an ice machine.

Now, I know I can order ice, but what a faff compared with walking down a corridor and filling the bucket whenever I need to. How many times do I have to wait 5 mins to get through to room service and then wait for someone to appear at the door. And the poor staff wasting time walking back and forth with ice.

I have spoken to staff who have said that the ice machines are a pain to maintain, so they get removed. Seems to be a convenience to the hotel rather than the customer. The worst hotels are the ones with no fridges and no ice machines. What chance of keeping things cool?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
One per floor is somewhat overkill, but I agree there should be at least one ice machine directly accessible by hotel guests, even in Europe where ice is not as ubiquitous.

They are a bit of a pain to maintain, requiring regular cleaning / sanitizing / etc.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Personally, I am OK with this as long as the ice delivery is relatively quick and painless.

If there is a wait when calling down or it takes an excessive amount of time for the delivery, then I agree that ice machines would be much better.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Marriott spent $500,000 on market research. Their findings? Millennials don't like ice....or desks.

/sarcasm
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Millennials don't like ice....or desks

Originally Posted by plagwate
Marriott spent $500,000 on market research. Their findings? Millennials don't like ice....or desks. /sarcasm

So I guess Marriott will also need to shelve its long-standing top-secret plan to add its newest amenity: ice desks.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's about tipping, you don't tip an ice machine. But you order ice and they show up with an envelope on the ice bucket.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by hartleypig
I have noticed, in the UK at least
Here is your answer to why they are gone, in the UK at least.

Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:31 pm

The reason they got rid of the ice machine has nothing to do with saving money, they did actually listen to their guests. No one wants their rooms to be by the ice machine. They were tired of the complaining. Guests want ice, not but not the inconvenience of being bothered by the maker.

Can't have it all complainers.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Mjben044
The reason they got rid of the ice machine has nothing to do with saving money, they did actually listen to their guests. No one wants their rooms to be by the ice machine. They were tired of the complaining. Guests want ice, not but not the inconvenience of being bothered by the maker.

So the thread title should be edited to add: ... but don't put them next to my room.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by RogerD408
So the thread title should be edited to add: ... but don't put them next to my room.
please start a new thread....I can list a few !
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:26 pm

Europe has a problem with ice in general, they don't use very much of it in their drinks like they do here in the states. For those who whine about the noise from the ice machines, it's not as bad as being next to the elevators and you can always put it in your profile. A lot of the machines are located in another room so you wouldn't be able to hear them anyways. The modern day ice machines are more sanitary since they are designed to dispense, so it eliminates the possibility of people peeing or wanking on the ice as pictured.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:26 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by plagwate
Marriott spent $500,000 on market research. Their findings? Millennials don't like ice....or desks.

/sarcasm
Originally Posted by Baze
It's about tipping, you don't tip an ice machine. But you order ice and they show up with an envelope on the ice bucket.
Just awesome!

Originally Posted by Mjben044
Guests want ice, not but not the inconvenience of being bothered by the maker.

Ouch. I'm feeling the sting of being slapped with the truth. Mjben044, it's like you've crawled in my head.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum
Originally Posted by Vegasrider
Europe has a problem with ice in general, they don't use very much of it in their drinks like they do here in the states. For those who whine about the noise from the ice machines, it's not as bad as being next to the elevators and you can always put it in your profile. A lot of the machines are located in another room so you wouldn't be able to hear them anyways. The modern day ice machines are more sanitary since they are designed to dispense, so it eliminates the possibility of people peeing or wanking on the ice as pictured.
Mr HP is obesessed with having very cold drinks. He uses the ice mixed with water to chill his cans and bottles right down. He likes to be able to get a mountain and have three buckets on the go!
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by Vegasrider
The modern day ice machines are more sanitary since they are designed to dispense, so it eliminates the possibility of people peeing or wanking on the ice as pictured.
From my years of seeing intoxicated people. Gravity doesn't stop drunk people from doing illogical (disturbing) things. Hint Hint: The dispense ones still have a drain right? You would use it even it just dispense right?

However, I still prefer the machines as 90% of the time I witness the machine to be acceptable. And I have couple of floors increase my success rates.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I was thinking this as well, costs too much - people not wanting to be near them, keeping them clean and fixing them when they break, not to mention the water wasted with the ice just sitting there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.