Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

TVL code officially stay and night ineligible now? :(

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Travel Industry Program - Not eligible for Marriott Rewards points or nights

- Available to active travel agents, wholesale/tour operators, incentive company, commercial airline (an airline that is in the business of transporting passengers, not packages), and Hertz employees, Universal Air Travel Plans, Society of Active Travel Writer (SATW) and Midwest Travel Writers Association(MWTA) members, and CLIA agents.
- Limit of 1 room per qualified guest per night.
- Positive identification is required at check-in. The agency name and address must match the reservation, plus another form of ID (E.g. drivers license, passport, etc.)
- Acceptable forms of ID for rate qualification
- IATAN photo ID card (the preferred ID)
OR any two of the following
- Authorization on agency letterhead from a manager, calling the travel agency directly for verification ARC/IATA listing, business card, SATW/MTWA ID membership card, copy of voided wholesaler voucher, employee ID for travel industry employees who are not travel agents

revised T&Cs make this question very clear

9.Rooms booked through third party online retailers, such as Expedia.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline.com, or any other 3rd party online/mobile travel portal (regardless of how the hotel is paid) are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit. Wholesale rates, wholesale packages, Fam-Tastic® rates, travel industry rates and organized tours or package bookings are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit regardless of booking channel. If you are booking through a travel agent or other third party and do not know if your booking will earn Points, please ask your travel agent about the type of booking and type of rate he/she is making for you.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver

This is absolutely terrible news.... Apparently TVL is a contracted rate.... not sure if I can agree but oh well what can you do
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this confirmed and in writing some where?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
I just got off the phone with some supervisor from Marriott Rewards, one of my stays got reversed and I was not sure why.

Basically, he explained Marriott system is now blocking all bookings made with TVL code for stay/night credit. I just cancelled a bunch of bookings I made for March and April cuz they were all under TVL... He told me the rate is a contracted rate, not eligible under T&C section 7 for earning points.

Can anyone confirms if they have been losing points or not getting stays posted?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by nli007
I just got off the phone with some supervisor from Marriott Rewards, one of my stays got reversed and I was not sure why.

Basically, he explained Marriott system is now blocking all bookings made with TVL code for stay/night credit. I just cancelled a bunch of bookings I made for March and April cuz they were all under TVL... He told me the rate is a contracted rate, not eligible under T&C section 7 for earning points.

Can anyone confirms if they have been losing points or not getting stays posted?
Had one night last year taken back which was the last night needed to maintain PLT status. All my nights were TVL code, just this one was denied. MR supervisor said it was the hotel that chose not to award. Fortunately he credited the night.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Well this issue continues to be a complete farce. Having had the problem on and off for ten years I received an e mail telling me I had booked a "Fantastic" rate (which I had not) for my most recent stay. This rate is not eligible.
When booking a Paris Renaissance at over EUR300 on a TVL rate I decided I better call to make sure so called reservations (toll free number), who did not know the answer so they transferred me to Marriott Rewards in Saskatoon, Canada, who after twenty minutes and referrals to a group of supervisors said that the FAMtastic rate is NOT eligible but the normal TVL rate IS eligible and if the Hotel refused to credit me to send the bill with a note to Marriott Rewards. The gentleman I spoke to was very concerned that I had been misled previously.

I do find it annoying that this is continuing and having to call everytime I make a booking is frustrating to say the least. But it seems that we all seem to get different answers to this question.

So according to Saskatoon yesterday the TVL rate is eligible.

I have read through all the rules and T and C's and cannot see anything about not being eligible anywhere. Hyatt however clearly state the rates that are not eligible.

Last edited by markzz2; Mar 18, 2015 at 5:04 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Most people on this board will find it hard to sympathize with rock bottom rates earning credit while most of us can't participate.

Still, being told one thing and relying on same only to find out that is not what had occurred is truly disconcerting.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is absolutely terrible news.... Apparently TVL is a contracted rate.... not sure if I can agree but oh well what can you do
Is the rule now that more generally, contracted rates are ineligible? How are contracted rates defined? That would seem to include all corporate rates, conference and other group blocks, government, AAA and AARP, etc. Not much is left.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Most people on this board will find it hard to sympathize with rock bottom rates earning credit while most of us can't participate.

Still, being told one thing and relying on same only to find out that is not what had occurred is truly disconcerting.
I think most of the contributors on here are benefitting from corporate rates that are much cheaper than the TVL rate. The TVL rate is hardly a "rock bottom" deal.

To put this in perspective the rate I am booking in Paris is as follows:

Regular Best Value Rate EUR399
TVL Rate EUR319
Boeing Rate EUR299
Accenture Rate EUR309

I know that normal corporate deals are eligible for points and nights as a friend I travel with often has booked his own room at a better rate than me and never has a problem.

You are right, the biggest problem I have with all this is the lack of a definitive answer from Marriott so never know whether the rate is eligible or not.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by markzz2
Well this issue continues to be a complete farce. Having had the problem on and off for ten years I received an e mail telling me I had booked a "Fantastic" rate (which I had not) for my most recent stay. This rate is not eligible.
When booking a Paris Renaissance at over EUR300 on a TVL rate I decided I better call to make sure so called reservations (toll free number), who did not know the answer so they transferred me to Marriott Rewards in Saskatoon, Canada, who after twenty minutes and referrals to a group of supervisors said that the FAMtastic rate is NOT eligible but the normal TVL rate IS eligible and if the Hotel refused to credit me to send the bill with a note to Marriott Rewards. The gentleman I spoke to was very concerned that I had been misled previously.

I do find it annoying that this is continuing and having to call everytime I make a booking is frustrating to say the least. But it seems that we all seem to get different answers to this question.

So according to Saskatoon yesterday the TVL rate is eligible.

I have read through all the rules and T and C's and cannot see anything about not being eligible anywhere. Hyatt however clearly state the rates that are not eligible.
The FamTastic rate in 2015 for Renaissance hotels is $74 (when available). That is NOT FamTastic one..
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by holtju2
The FamTastic rate in 2015 for Renaissance hotels is $74 (when available). That is NOT FamTastic one..
If i was paying $74 I would never expect any benefits........ but would love access to that rate!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every time someone takes this through to someone who knows the whole system it seems the answer is the same- FAMtastic, no, TVL yes. But it takes a lot of pushing to get to that person. It shouldn't be so hard. (And I'm speaking as someone who uses neither rate)
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD

Lost a 5 night stay from mid-March. It has been a written but not followed rule for past few years. Rep says Corporate now cracking down, electronic transfers from hotels of activity based on TVL rate code are now automatically deleted and Corporate won't allow reps to manually post.

IMHO Very short sighted on Marriott's part. Not only will Marriott lose the revenue from agents not staying at their properties but more importantly for them the agent can now NOT recommend that property to clients on a personal basis. Nothing sells as well as saying that you had stayed there personally and from that experience the agent feels the client would L O V E that property.

Also, by allowing agent to earn elite status and experience those elite benefits 1) agent could personally recommend clients to be loyal to Marriott and obtain status based on agents experience and 2) agent felt more loyalty to Marriott for allowing them to earn and enjoy status.

Now all that is gone.

I believe Hilton, Best Western, Hyatt, Accor all disallow nights/points for TA rates. Not sure about IHG. SPG used to disallow but recently a stay earned points so they may have reversed their policy. Can anyone confirm that and know of other programs which do allow earning of points and/or nights? I am now looking to change my loyalty away from Marriott.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by fmkgb
Lost a 5 night stay from mid-March. It has been a written but not followed rule for past few years. Rep says Corporate now cracking down, electronic transfers from hotels of activity based on TVL rate code are now automatically deleted and Corporate won't allow reps to manually post.

IMHO Very short sighted on Marriott's part. Not only will Marriott lose the revenue from agents not staying at their properties but more importantly for them the agent can now NOT recommend that property to clients on a personal basis. Nothing sells as well as saying that you had stayed there personally and from that experience the agent feels the client would L O V E that property.

Also, by allowing agent to earn elite status and experience those elite benefits 1) agent could personally recommend clients to be loyal to Marriott and obtain status based on agents experience and 2) agent felt more loyalty to Marriott for allowing them to earn and enjoy status.

Now all that is gone.

I believe Hilton, Best Western, Hyatt, Accor all disallow nights/points for TA rates. Not sure about IHG. SPG used to disallow but recently a stay earned points so they may have reversed their policy. Can anyone confirm that and know of other programs which do allow earning of points and/or nights? I am now looking to change my loyalty away from Marriott.
That is not what I was told the other day. The agent at Marriott Rewards in Saskatoon was insistent that the rate is eligible. Ridiculous that everyone is getting different answers.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by holtju2
Definitely not a FAMtastic rate, but beware that FAMtastic can be more than the stated amounts. For example the CY Broadway downtown San Diego was $49 as stated but they got permission to increase it to $74. The Marriott Marquis got permission to go to $105. It is often location dependent.

That being said Paris is a tough place to find a FAMtastic rate. I tried last year. I did find one at the Renaissance in Amsterdam. I hate not getting points but I hate even more using points when I can get such a cheap rate. The points earning rate in Amsterdam was about $400 which was more than I was willing to spend. Points were 40k. FAMtastic was about $100 based on conversion.

Now to get back on topic of this thread I've been told numerous times that TVL does not earn credit (points or nights). This is also in line with Hyatt and the SPG Pro rates. I think it's silly especially for SPG where you get stay credit on points stays, but I don't make the rules.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

A bit OT, what are the official, documented, referenceable rules for using TVL and FAMtastic rates?

I have no dog in this hunt, but my logic is that any travel industry rate should not be points earning. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.