Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards® points will now expire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
The quick, easy method to keep points from expiring is just to buy 1,000 Marriott Rewards points for $12.50. Points deposit within a few hours. Might take a few days to reset the clock, although the reps can do it manually.
Buy Marriott Points

Transfer of points between Marriott & SPG do NOT extend the 2-year clock for the Marriott side.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards® points will now expire

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:07 am

If they're transferring in from SPG, they are listed as qualifying. You know, with the asterisk and the updated last qualifying activity date.

Is it really that hard for people to just try it out if they don't believe it? Transfers are instant
​​​​​​
3k Marriott out to SPG, doesn't qualify
3k Marriott in from SPG, does qualify
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Just checked & you're right.

http://members.marriott.com/faq/

For the Marriott side:

Transfers don’t count as a qualifying activity in the Rewards program, so transferring points won’t keep your points balance from expiring.

For the Starwood side:

SPG Starpoints don’t expire as long as your account remains active. Linking and transfers count as activity.

Will update the wiki. It should also be noted that Marriott has a 2-year expiration policy, whereas SPG has a 1-year policy.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by crimsona
If they're transferring in from SPG, they are listed as qualifying. You know, with the asterisk and the updated last qualifying activity date.

Is it really that hard for people to just try it out if they don't believe it? Transfers are instant
​​​​​​
Apparently it is... I think you got it backwards.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

​​​​​​
Uh no. Transferring to/from SPG keeps SPG points from expiring. It does not keep Marriott points from expiring.

THIS thread is how to keep Marriott points from expiring!

If someone is willing to spend $12.50 to buy 1,000 MR points, that's the fastest, easiest way.

Also, and this is just me, if someone hasn't done anything MR-related in two years (certainly not spending any $$ in Marriott brands), then why not spend $12.50 to keep points alive for another 2 years. It's certainly not a big investment to keep points alive. Basically the equivalent of a couple of drinks or a small meal.

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:17 am

You guys are unbelievable.

I'll just leave this here. Would have taken you less time to check for yourself than to argue your unsubstantiated claims. At least I tested mine.

Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:23 am

Did it actually reset the clock on the expiration? The only way to really tell is if you had no activity, transferred some points, & then saw the clock extension on your Marriott points. Since you've had recent stays your account would extend anyway.

There have been reports that transferring in from SPG to Marriott has not reset other FTer's accounts, & Marriott's official policy is that it doesn't. So save the unbelievable, as it's certainly not set in stone that transferring from SPG to Marriott will work.

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
[QUOTE=crimsona;27975509]You guys are unbelievable.

I'll just leave this here. Would have taken you less time to check for yourself than to argue your unsubstantiated claims. At least I tested mine.

Then MR has reversed their stated position (or you are seeing an IT error that may be corrected later). But that doesn't mean SPG doesn't reset the clock when a transfer happens. Personally, the intent is to keep you looking at the programs, so any activity in or out, stays or redemptions, should count, but it's not my call.

If it was me, I'd keep that screen shot handy just in case MR follows their T&Cs and this is your last activity for two years (probably not likely I bet, so moog point).
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:00 am

Yes, my last qualifying activity date changed when I transferred in points.

It did not change when I earned Twitter points.

It did change when I had a stay

It did not change when I had a Marriott to Marriott points transfer.

The asterisk does work, you know...
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, my last qualifying activity date changed when I transferred in points.

It did not change when I earned Twitter points.

It did change when I had a stay

It did not change when I had a Marriott to Marriott points transfer.

The asterisk does work, you know...
*subject to change without notice is used all the time.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:10 am

Point taken

As much as I'd like to wait two years to test my account out, it's probably unlikely to stay completely away for two years just to prove a point

At the very least, I have moved it from solid no to maybe at the minimum.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:12 pm

I think the maybe is fine, but for those who normally frequent this thread (ie, those who are worrying about losing points after 2 years of zero activity, which let's face it is not you, me or Roger), I'm not sure I'd want to hang my hat on a maybe. But more on a sure thing.

That also assumes that those who haven't had any Marriott activity have had SPG activity/points. If they don't have SPG points (which has a 1-year cancel vs. MAR's 2-year), it's a moot point anyway.

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:50 pm

Guys - my marriott points are expiring in May. If I sign up for a spg amex card and earn spg points, will this automatically renew my marriott points? If not, what should I do?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by sam007
Guys - my marriott points are expiring in May. If I sign up for a spg amex card and earn spg points, will this automatically renew my marriott points? If not, what should I do?
The answer, according to Marriott, is no. crimosa shows it's qualifying on his account, but we don't know if that's a 1-off or maybe situation.

Any reason you want the SPG Amex over the Chase Marriott Visa? The latter you know you'll get it, plus a free 1-night cert & some other stuff.

If you want to make keep your points in an easy manner, just buy 1,000 MR points (using any credit card) for $12.50 before May.

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Why is this so shocking?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Why is this so shocking?
Why is what so shocking? I guess what's shocking (or not) is how many people ask the same question when it's been answered many times & there's even a wiki. Fast, easy way to do it, if one is literally not going to have any activity in 2 years but wants to keep points, is just to buy 1,000 points for $12.50.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.