Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott RewardsŪ points will now expire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
The quick, easy method to keep points from expiring is just to buy 1,000 Marriott Rewards points for $12.50. Points deposit within a few hours. Might take a few days to reset the clock, although the reps can do it manually.
Buy Marriott Points

Transfer of points between Marriott & SPG do NOT extend the 2-year clock for the Marriott side.
Print Wikipost

Marriott RewardsŪ points will now expire

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC
I have a Marriott Uk Credit Card (via creation) - I regularly get points via them. Just want to check, will this count as activity to stop points expiry?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:30 am

I have a Marriott Uk Credit Card (via creation) - I regularly get points via them. Just want to check, will this count as activity to stop points expiry?
Am I missing something here?

From the initial post in this thread:

We make it pretty easy to maintain active status in the Marriott Rewards program. Qualifying activities include:

• Make a paid (or redemption) stay at any of our 3,800+ participating hotels worldwide
• Redeem points
• Make a purchase through a Marriott Rewards credit card
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Today is the first day of MR's new point expiration policy. Hopefully everyone's balances are intact.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by felicity5
If I'm reading this correctly miles transferred from Saphire ultimate rewards or earned on I dine will no longer extend the mileage. Is this right?
Good question. I missed the Feb 1 date, and while my account says my points expired on Feb 1, the account still lists the points in my account.

I called and was told that the system is working to eliminate expired points in batches and had not gotten to mine yet. I was given a three month extension with no pushback. I asked if transferring Ultimate Rewards points would restart the clock and I was told yes, despite Marriott's language that transfers do not restart the clock.

The CSR offered that purchases of points (eg. $12.50 for 1,000 points) would avoid expiration. This is consistent with Marriott's announcement, though it was questioned upthread for some reason.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Good question. I missed the Feb 1 date, and while my account says my points expired on Feb 1, the account still lists the points in my account.

I called and was told that the system is working to eliminate expired points in batches and had not gotten to mine yet. I was given a three month extension with no pushback. I asked if transferring Ultimate Rewards points would restart the clock and I was told yes, despite Marriott's language that transfers do not restart the clock.

The CSR offered that purchases of points (eg. $12.50 for 1,000 points) would avoid expiration. This is consistent with Marriott's announcement, though it was questioned upthread for some reason.
My expiration date was extended to 5/1 as a courtesy. Meanwhile I transferred Chase UR points on Friday 1/29. They posted on 2/1 with a date of 1/31, and my expiration date remained unchanged. Today my account shows a new expiration date pushed out to 2018. So a Chase UR transfer seems to work but the change in expiration takes an extra day or so to appear.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do people receive email reminder on their accounts if at risk?

Given the Marriott web site currently makes My Activity inaccessible, at least for some of us, there is no way to even check the account clock.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:58 pm
Suspended

really - hard to believe that with all the stays and bonuses earned you post about you can't recall if you've had a Marriott stay over the last two-years !!!!

Originally Posted by Happy
Do people receive email reminder on their accounts if at risk?

Given the Marriott web site currently makes My Activity inaccessible, at least for some of us, there is no way to even check the account clock.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leeky
really - hard to believe that with all the stays and bonuses earned you post about you can't recall if you've had a Marriott stay over the last two-years !!!!
First of all, you may be confused me to somebody else, because I certainly have not posted anything about my stays and my bonuses!

Secondly, what about folks who stay infrequently? Just as there are posters a few days ago said they forgot the deadline but at least now they got a 3 months extension. Without the ability to view the My Activity, how could people know their last activities? And, how can they know their clocks are reset if they could not see My Activity screen?

My question is, when an account is at risk, would the account owner receives a reminder from Marriott?! Hyatt does send out reminder a few months before the expiration deadline, so as UA and AA programs. Is it too much to ask whether Marriott would have a good corporate practice to send out reminders to folks whose accounts are at risk?

Finally I know when was my last activity but I also want to see Marriott site displays it. A customer should not be required to manually remember every details of his account. A company in the size of Marriott should have a functioning website. Period.

So what is wrong with you when a customer asks Marriott to have a functional website and you dont think this is a reasonable request?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:38 pm
Suspended

nothing is wrong with a functioning Marriott.com along with available activity but you make it sound like it's down for a full 2-years vrs a few hours to a day or so, and personally, if you haven't had any Marriott activity, whether that be from a paid stay, a redemption, purchase points, using Marriott Visa (buy a gallon of gas for petes sake!) activity or similar ways to extend your account for 2-years then IMO I have no problem with MRs closing your account (and forfeiting the 127 remaining points in your account)

and no, I am not confused as you were the VERY active poster about the 2 AC props in Madrid (that you finally LNFed at the Carton - if I recall correctly Atocha was the station that was bombed a few yrs back) that you had SO many insignificant problems with but made it sound like the end of the world.

(I do note that I have absolutey no use for the AC by Marriott props due to their idiotic A/C program - when they operate, no in room safety boxes, etc and although not being a Starwood "fan" have always stayed at the Westin Palace due to its location, significant parks/restaurants in the area and connection to Starbucks for morning brew)

and what Hyatt does or does not do with reminders is of no consequence as to whether MR wants to do the same/similar - as I recall the saying if you snooze you lose and those that snooze for 2-years aren't gonna get any sympathy from me

First of all, you may be confused me to somebody else, because I certainly have not posted anything about my stays and my bonuses!

Secondly, what about folks who stay infrequently? Just as there are posters a few days ago said they forgot the deadline but at least now they got a 3 months extension. Without the ability to view the My Activity, how could people know their last activities? And, how can they know their clocks are reset if they could not see My Activity screen?

My question is, when an account is at risk, would the account owner receives a reminder from Marriott?! Hyatt does send out reminder a few months before the expiration deadline, so as UA and AA programs. Is it too much to ask whether Marriott would have a good corporate practice to send out reminders to folks whose accounts are at risk?

Finally I know when was my last activity but I also want to see Marriott site displays it. A customer should not be required to manually remember every details of his account. A company in the size of Marriott should have a functioning website. Period.

So what is wrong with you when a customer asks Marriott to have a functional website and you dont think this is a reasonable request?

Last edited by leeky; Feb 5, 2016 at 12:23 am
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:01 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
The Marriott mobile app also displays expiry dates under My Account.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Hyatt does send out reminder a few months before the expiration deadline
Thanks for the reminder. I got something the mail from Hyatt & I know I need to do something by mid-February. Need to find the flyer.

Back to Marriott - it would be good, from a customer service perspective, if they sent out an email in advance to those who might be in danger of losing their points. (That's assuming Marriott IT could handle something like that!). Of course if they want some of the points off their books then not letting folk know makes sense.

Cheers.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and no, I am not confused as you were the VERY active poster about the 2 AC props in Madrid (that you finally LNFed at the Carton - if I recall correctly Atocha was the station that was bombed a few yrs back) that you had SO many insignificant problems with but made it sound like the end of the world.

(I do note that I have absolutey no use for the AC by Marriott props due to their idiotic A/C program - when they operate, no in room safety boxes, etc and although not being a Starwood "fan" have always stayed at the Westin Palace due to its location, significant parks/restaurants in the area and connection to Starbucks for morning brew)
What is wrong with you when people post about issues encountered with certain hotels? Isn't this forum for participants to share information?

How is VERY active being wrong? and a few posts on an ongoing issue that I tried to keep it updated so in case anyone out there could use the information is offensive to you?

Can you please clarify what SO many insignificant problems I have with AC Atocha?

I have never ever stayed in that hotel in the past but I do want to book it for the megabonus promotion given we would be in Madrid for a few days.

My only issue with AC Atocha is why all the rates are nonrefundable, for such an extensive period. Where are the "SO many insignificant issues" mentioned in your post? and how questioning a possible rate loading error would "made it sound like the end of the world." ?

It is NOT an insignificant issue when a hotel loads wrong rates. It would lose business in this case because people who dont want to book nonrefundable rates would book somewhere else, as a poster on the thread said s/he booked somewhere else because s/he also found no refundable rates available for extensive period.

That is about the ONE and the ONLY issue I have with AC Atocha. It is not an Insignificant issue, but it is also not anything "end of the world" as you proclaimed with drama.

Since the hotel rates did not seem normal, I took the trouble to contact Marriott to find out what was the issue. It just does not make any sense when Carlton is about 500 meters from Atocha yet Carlton has cancellable rates of all kinds. Common sense tells me that the Atocha location must have loaded their rates wrong.

Guess what? It was indeed a problem of loading the rates. Now the regular rates are refundable so others who dont want to use nonrefundable rates can book the hotel.

FYI, there are others who also want to book the AC Atocha because I got PMs on that. I feel good that because I contacted Marriott, so now the rate errors are fixed. Guess if it were you encountered a potential rate error, you would just think, it is SO insignificant... let alone sharing the info with a community. Not everyone is as selfish I must say.

So Atocha has had bombs before, what does it to do with the AC hotel? And others would like to use that hotel? and of course the Atocha station continues to be the major station in Madrid used by thousands of people everyday.

Your comments are totally irrelevant.

On top of that, If you dont like AC brand, dont use it. Plain and simple. So you dont like others to use AC brand and the Atocha location and that is the reason why you made snarky comment towards my questions about whether Marriott would send out notices to folks whose accounts are at risk?

Or because you could not come up with any plausible support on my initial suggestion that you confused me with someone else because you claimed I had so many stays and earned so many bonuses, then you brought up the irrelevant comments about how bad AC brand is, and how Atocha had a bombing incident a few years ago.

Otherwise I fail to see why posting on AC hotels and the rate loading error would get you to make snarky comments to my question on account expiration notice as they are completely 2 different subjects.

Besides, who really cares about your feeling about AC brand and your memory about Atocha station?

and what Hyatt does or does not do with reminders is of no consequence as to whether MR wants to do the same/similar - as I recall the saying if you snooze you lose and those that snooze for 2-years aren't gonna get any sympathy from me
Hyatt is a competitor of Marriott to begin with.

On top of that, any good business model would look at how its competitors are doing and make sure it would stay at a competitive level. Building goodwill with customer is an integral part of a good business practice. Another common sense though some may be lacking of such.

BTW, you may want to read another thread I started in this forum - that Marriott and Chase has a targeted survey which I happened to receive an invitation to participate.

In that survey, it asked participant to rate hotel programs from Hyatt to Hilton to IHG to SPG as well as Marriott. It also asked rating of Chase products against Citi products against AMEX products.

If what Hyatt does has nothing to do with what Marriott does, why would Marriott spent money to hire a survey company for such a survey, based on your logic?

So now you know, for Marriott, what Hyatt or Hilton or SPG treats their customers is indeed relevant. So much so it spent money to find out so it can stay competitive. Business 101, as basic as that.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the reminder. I got something the mail from Hyatt & I know I need to do something by mid-February. Need to find the flyer.

Back to Marriott - it would be good, from a customer service perspective, if they sent out an email in advance to those who might be in danger of losing their points. (That's assuming Marriott IT could handle something like that!). Of course if they want some of the points off their books then not letting folk know makes sense.

Cheers.
You are very welcome, Sharon! And I want to thank you for all your contribution to the Marriott forum as well as the Talkboard.

It is good business practice to remind program members about their accounts are at risk, especially when the program starts to enforce the expiration policy. While it is the customer's responsibility to make sure that, but the customer would certainly be appreciative to receive a reminder so s/he can decide what is the next action. It is a goodwill builder for the business who sends out such notices.

As a side note, Hilton would even reinstate your account with all the points after expiration, on some fairly easy conditions (and no penalty in the form of fees like the airline programs) once the customer contacts HHonors.

I do not think Marriott intentionally not to engage such goodwill building behavior therefore to let points expire and thus reduce its liability on the book. It is probably more an oversight or incompetence of its IT team.

BTW, I used the web form to ask Marriott if they were aware of the malfunctioning website that has been for weeks with brief, sporadic fixes in between - I got a response the next day that they were aware of the issues and the tech team was working on it... So, they know, just that whether it is on the top of the priority list to get it fixed...

Last edited by Happy; Feb 6, 2016 at 9:17 am
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:56 am
Suspended

15 or more posts on basically 3 subjects -

1.how terrible the AC Atocha prop is because they only have non-refundable rates - MR ain't gonna do squat as this issue is in-house rates posted by the hotel and no rule against it;
2.got LNF with AC Carlton; and
3. activity access down again (for either a few minutes to almost 24-hrs !) and I have no idea when my acct will expire under the new expiration T&Cs.

Like I said, all so minor, but requiring 15+ posts.

For me, simple, I'll just hit ignore

and as to Sharon's other comment - I'll agree and go with easier for MRs to close acct and take those unused points off the debit sheet - should have been policy for years

What is wrong with you when people post about issues encountered with certain hotels? Isn't this forum for participants to share information?

How is VERY active being wrong? and a few posts on an ongoing issue that I tried to keep it updated so in case anyone out there could use the information is offensive to you?

Can you please clarify what SO many insignificant problems I have with AC Atocha?

I have never ever stayed in that hotel in the past but I do want to book it for the megabonus promotion given we would be in Madrid for a few days.

My only issue with AC Atocha is why all the rates are nonrefundable, for such an extensive period. Where are the "SO many insignificant issues" mentioned in your post? and how questioning a possible rate loading error would "made it sound like the end of the world." ?

It is NOT an insignificant issue when a hotel loads wrong rates. It would lose business in this case because people who dont want to book nonrefundable rates would book somewhere else, as a poster on the thread said s/he booked somewhere else because s/he also found no refundable rates available for extensive period.

That is about the ONE and the ONLY issue I have with AC Atocha. It is not an Insignificant issue, but it is also not anything "end of the world" as you proclaimed with drama.

Since the hotel rates did not seem normal, I took the trouble to contact Marriott to find out what was the issue. It just does not make any sense when Carlton is about 500 meters from Atocha yet Carlton has cancellable rates of all kinds. Common sense tells me that the Atocha location must have loaded their rates wrong.

Guess what? It was indeed a problem of loading the rates. Now the regular rates are refundable so others who dont want to use nonrefundable rates can book the hotel.

FYI, there are others who also want to book the AC Atocha because I got PMs on that. I feel good that because I contacted Marriott, so now the rate errors are fixed. Guess if it were you encountered a potential rate error, you would just think, it is SO insignificant... let alone sharing the info with a community. Not everyone is as selfish I must say.

So Atocha has had bombs before, what does it to do with the AC hotel? And others would like to use that hotel? and of course the Atocha station continues to be the major station in Madrid used by thousands of people everyday.

Your comments are totally irrelevant.

On top of that, If you dont like AC brand, dont use it. Plain and simple. So you dont like others to use AC brand and the Atocha location and that is the reason why you made snarky comment towards my questions about whether Marriott would send out notices to folks whose accounts are at risk?

Or because you could not come up with any plausible support on my initial suggestion that you confused me with someone else because you claimed I had so many stays and earned so many bonuses, then you brought up the irrelevant comments about how bad AC brand is, and how Atocha had a bombing incident a few years ago.

Otherwise I fail to see why posting on AC hotels and the rate loading error would get you to make snarky comments to my question on account expiration notice as they are completely 2 different subjects.

Besides, who really cares about your feeling about AC brand and your memory about Atocha station?

Hyatt is a competitor of Marriott to begin with.

On top of that, any good business model would look at how its competitors are doing and make sure it would stay at a competitive level. Building goodwill with customer is an integral part of a good business practice. Another common sense though some may be lacking of such.

BTW, you may want to read another thread I started in this forum - that Marriott and Chase has a targeted survey which I happened to receive an invitation to participate.

In that survey, it asked participant to rate hotel programs from Hyatt to Hilton to IHG to SPG as well as Marriott. It also asked rating of Chase products against Citi products against AMEX products.

If what Hyatt does has nothing to do with what Marriott does, why would Marriott spent money to hire a survey company for such a survey, based on your logic?

So now you know, for Marriott, what Hyatt or Hilton or SPG treats their customers is indeed relevant. So much so it spent money to find out so it can stay competitive. Business 101, as basic as that.

You are very welcome, Shannon!

It is good business practice to remind program members about their accounts are at risk, especially when the program starts to enforce the expiration policy. While it is the customer's responsibility to make sure that, but the customer would certainly be appreciative to receive a reminder so s/he can decide what is the next action. It is a goodwill builder for the business who sends out such notices.

As a side note, Hilton would even reinstate your account with all the points after expiration, on some fairly easy conditions (and no penalty in the form of fees like the airline programs) once the customer contacts HHonors.

I do not think Marriott intentionally not to engage such goodwill building behavior therefore to let points expire and thus reduce its liability on the book. It is probably more an oversight or incompetence of its IT team.

BTW, I used the web form to ask Marriott if they were aware of the malfunctioning website that has been for weeks with brief, sporadic fixes in between - I got a response the next day that they were aware of the issues and the tech team was working on it... So, they know, just that whether it is on the top of the priority list to get it fixed...
Old Feb 23, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: HH, SPG, USAIR, AMEX
Ritz Visa

If I use my Ritz Carlton Rewards Visa Card....will that keep my Marriott rewards points from expiring? Thank you for any insight!!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by cindy355
If I use my Ritz Carlton Rewards Visa Card....will that keep my Marriott rewards points from expiring? Thank you for any insight!!
I would assume that points from an RC Visa would be considered the same as a Marriott Visa (thus yes, preventing points from expiring), but you can always message Marriott CS via the web form to make sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.