Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriotts new category changes 2015

Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:30 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club

Marriott has just announced the new category changes:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott...ory%20File.pdf

Marriott has organised the list by district, so it looks confusing and in places is. A member of Marriott Rewards Insiders (vaboywnder) has produced a strictly alphabetical list by hotel name which is a considerably easier read. That list is to be found here:

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%...ilnsbr9jxg5avy

64% of hotel categories remain unchanged. There's no change to the program, so 5th night free remains across all categories and all hotels.

Of those that do change, 75% go up, 25% down.

Boston is hit hard, as is the UK. Other FTers have noticed both Denver and Austin suffering too.

EDITIONS are now redeemed on Ritz Carlton tiers.

EDIT: 18th MARCH >>>>>>> LAST DAY TO BOOK AT OLD RATES <<<<<<<

The new categories come into force on 19th March so you can book at old rates till 18th March, and you can reserve redemptions even if you don't have the points, remember though that you'll need to get those e-certs by 18th March, or, if afterwards, when ready to order the e-certificates call Marriott to get them attached at the pre-19 March rate...

Last edited by BrightlyBob; Mar 18, 2015 at 3:07 am Reason: To add EDIT, last day at old rates
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:57 pm

Thanks

What's the effective date?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Don't bring back the Megabonus certificates. They're now pretty much obsolete since u can't use it for majority of locations.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:07 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I'm actually surprised that we're not seeing a lot of formerly cat 5 properties that moved to cat 6 last year drop back down. In the past, conventional wisdom was that a lot of properties that were popular for the megabonus certificates went up because of that usage, and once they were no longer eligible for megabonus redemption, fewer people would redeem awards with them, which would contribute to them drifting back down a category.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Don't bring back the Megabonus certificates. They're now pretty much obsolete since u can't use it for majority of locations.
I'm using our last 3 to book rooms for my daughter's 16th birthday party at the Courtyard in Irvine. Her friends think its awesome.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:15 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I'm wondering just how accurate this list really is.

I've been planning a Destin trip for Spring and was looking at the Ft. Walton Beach/West Destin FFI which is actually a Cat. 6 right now. The list shows it as a Cat. 5 dropping to a Cat. 4. So is it dropping and if so, to what?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:17 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Thanks

What's the effective date?
19th March. I've amended my 1st post to add this, and will continue to amend the post for any new questions...
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:20 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I'm wondering just how accurate this list really is.

I've been planning a Destin trip for Spring and was looking at the Ft. Walton Beach/West Destin FFI which is actually a Cat. 6 right now. The list shows it as a Cat. 5 dropping to a Cat. 4. So is it dropping and if so, to what?
Well, it's from an official Marriott source, the community manager on the Marriott Insiders website, for what it's worth...
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:25 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I guess I can head over to Marriott Insiders and see if they can shed any light on it.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:25 pm
Suspended

I was on the fence with the points bonus versus the certificates. Now that most locations are at least cat6 it makes no sense to give them out anymore.... Just stick to the points.... However I've learned that MR won't adjust ur promotions anymore. U must stick to the one that u get.... They say it's causing trouble on their end to manually track the adjusted promos.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
I think that Fairfield near Universal going to 5 may make people happy.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Delete

Last edited by CJKatl; Feb 25, 2015 at 3:22 pm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:21 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Is this new? Last year I had a reservation at a hotel that went up, but did not order the cert until a week before my stay, which was after the date the points increase became effective. The system actually showed the higher points, but Marriott corrected it when I called. This happened to others, too, and we all posted about it at the time.
I'm really just repeating what Marriott said on Insiders, but your experiences last year seem to mirror the advice, if ordering the certs after 19/03, call MR instead of ordering the Certs online, otherwise the new amount will be deducted.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
I'm really just repeating what Marriott said on Insiders, but your experiences last year seem to mirror the advice, if ordering the certs after 19/03, call MR instead of ordering the Certs online, otherwise the new amount will be deducted.
I didn't read the entire sentence before responding. Sorry about that. Once I realized my mistake, I deleted the post.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
so is this perhaps the worst ever organization of a devaluation list.

Cologne between Akron and Zhengzhou...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.