Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Any experience with being accused of MR account fraud?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with being accused of MR account fraud?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:02 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
I am Platinum with Marriott and have been for many, many years. I have neither ever had an issue with points posting nor, to my knowledge, have ever been in violation of the Marriott Rewards Ts & Cs.

I recently made three stays in one week at three separate Marriott properties. My account was credited as expected for the first and third stays. I waited the requisite ten days and still my second stay had not posted, so I filled out the online form to request credit for the missing stay. After about a week, I went to login to my account and discovered that I, too, was unable to login due to my account being in audit status. That was at about 8:30am. An hour or so later, I received an email in response to my missing points request informing me that I was in violation of the Ts and Cs for attempting to claim points for two concurrent stays at two different hotels.

I was able to call Marriott Rewards customer service immediately, and they confirmed that my account was indeed on hold and was likely to be cancelled. I explained to the representative that I had checked out of the first hotel on a Thursday morning and into the second one the same evening. He did a quick check and confirmed, based on my folios, that I was correct. Apparently hotel number one had entered an incorrect check-out date which made it appear that I had been staying at two hotels at the same time.

Once this mistake was discovered, I assumed that everything would be taken care of (my missing points would be added, and my account would be taken out of audit mode). That assumption was incorrect. I was told by the rep that IF it was found by the auditors that I had done nothing to violate the Rewards Ts & Cs that my account MAY be returned to active status with 10-15 business days. I was stunned. As mentioned, I am not aware of ever having done anything in violation of the rules before and this was an innocent mistake made by someone at a property. When I expressed my surprise, the rep claimed that he was unable to help me. An hour and two supervisors later, I was still in the same boat.

This happened last Wednesday. I was finally able to login to my account again on Monday (yesterday) and confirmed that my missing points were posted. I am still surprised that this was handled in this way, especially considering that my stays and spend (while not as big as the OP) are fairly substantial.

Last edited by jwlowry; Feb 10, 2015 at 2:49 pm
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Wow, Marriott handled this very poorly IMHO. His scenario isn't that unusual...

But all of that aside, that fact that it took so much effort to resolve is really the worst part.

I've received points from two different hotels on the same night many times. Often it's been an Execustay, TPS, or RI in one city and a regular Marriott in another. Other times it's two different Marriotts in general proximity to each other because we want one 2-bedroom suite and some nearby cheaper rooms. No one has ever remotely suggested that I should not do this, nor have there ever been issues with the points posting. I can't even understand why they would object: it's not an EQN hack and the 3-room limit prevents....uhhhh...I'm not sure what the 3-room limit prevents, but it's there...
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Based on JWlowry's post, this sounds like an item (double hotel bookings/credit) that Marriott's starting to look at.

I wonder how far back an audit would go. It's been a few years, but I'm sure that I've stayed at more than one hotel on a single night sometime in the past.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jwlowry
I am Platinum with Marriott and have been for many, many years. I have neither ever had an issue with points posting nor, to my knowledge, have ever been violation of the Marriott Rewards Ts & Cs.

I recently made three stays in one week at three separate Marriott properties. My account was credited as expected for the first and third stays. I waited the requisite ten days and still my second stay had not posted, so I filled out the online form to request credit for the missing stay. After about a week, I went to login to my account and discovered that I, too, was unable to login due to my account being in audit status. That was at about 8:30am. An hour or so later, I received an email in response to my missing points request informing my that I was in violation of the Ts and Cs for attempting to claim points for two concurrent stays at two different hotels.

I was able to call Marriott Rewards customer service immediately, and they confirmed that my account was indeed on hold and was likely to be cancelled. I explained to the representative that I had checked out of the first hotel on a Thursday morning and into the second one the same evening. He did a quick check and confirmed, based on my folios, that I was correct. Apparently hotel number one had entered an incorrect check-out date which made it appear that I had been staying at two hotels at the same time.

Once this mistake was discovered, I assumed that everything would be taken care of (my missing points would be added, and my account would be taken out of audit mode). That assumption was incorrect. I was told by the rep that IF it was found by the auditors that I had done nothing to violate the Rewards Ts & Cs that my account MAY be returned to active status with 10-15 business days. I was stunned. As mentioned, I am not aware of ever having done anything in violation of the rules before and this was an innocent mistake made by someone at a property. When I expressed my surprise, the rep claimed that he was unable to help me. An hour and two supervisors later, I was still in the same boat.

This happened last Wednesday. I was finally able to login to my account again on Monday (yesterday) and confirmed that my missing points were posted. I am still surprised that this was handled in this way, especially considering that my stays and spend (while not as big as the OP) are fairly substantial.
Wow - totally handled poorly by Marriott.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:20 pm
Community Director Emerita

..I went to login to my account and discovered that I, too, was unable to login due to my account being in audit status. That was at about 8:30am. An hour or so later, I received an email in response to my missing points request informing my that I was in violation of the Ts and Cs for attempting to claim points for two concurrent stays at two different hotels.

..Apparently hotel number one had entered an incorrect check-out date which made it appear that I had been staying at two hotels at the same time.

Once this mistake was discovered, I assumed that everything would be taken care of (my missing points would be added, and my account would be taken out of audit mode). That assumption was incorrect. I was told by the rep that IF it was found by the auditors that I had done nothing to violate the Rewards Ts & Cs that my account MAY be returned to active status with 10-15 business days. I was stunned.
That's a very bad story. THEY made the mistake and still had attitude once it was confirmed. What happened to customer service.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:23 pm
mab

Programs: UA GS 2Million, Marriott PP & LTPP, Amtrak Select Exec
I recently made three stays in one week at three separate Marriott properties. My account was credited as expected for the first and third stays. I waited the requisite ten days and still my second stay had not posted, so I filled out the online form to request credit for the missing stay. After about a week, I went to login to my account and discovered that I, too, was unable to login due to my account being in audit status. That was at about 8:30am. An hour or so later, I received an email in response to my missing points request informing my that I was in violation of the Ts and Cs for attempting to claim points for two concurrent stays at two different hotels.
That's just full-on, out and out madness on Marriott's part. The message they're sending to their best customers is clear: don't stay back-to-back at different Marriotts. Use another chain instead. Is that really what they want?

I think I narrowly missed having this happen to me a few weeks ago as well. I misconnected on a flight and ended up staying the night at an airport Marriott. The original hotel - also a Marriott - at my destination city (very nicely) agreed to cancel my reservation, even though it was 10pm. The next day, I got email-folios from both hotels with the original (canceled) one was for a nightly rate of $0.00. But no credit posted to my account for either that stay (correctly) or my actual stay (incorrectly).

After the requisite time, I filled out the missing stay request for the hotel I actually had stayed at and paid for. It took over a week for them to credit it, which is longer than I'm used to. Now I wonder if they were considering locking my account. If they had, they'd have one seriously angry customer on their hands. (And quite possibly an ex-customer.)

I'm not sure what they could possibly think they gain by treating their best customers with this kind of baseless suspicion.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:41 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
An hour or so later, I received an email in response to my missing points request informing my that I was in violation of the Ts and Cs for attempting to claim points for two concurrent stays at two different hotels.
For edification, I thought I would include the text of the email that I received. I have removed blank lines for clarification purposes.

Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards Guest Services.

Marriott Rewards program earnings are based on a member personally staying in and paying for their room for one or more nights at any participating Marriott hotel. For the purposes of the program, it has been determined that a guest can not occupy more than one room at a time on the same night or nights in more than one hotel. As a result, a member is not eligible to receive Elite nights, points or miles for a room reserved and registered in their name at more than one hotel for the same night or nights.

To clarify, a "hotel stay" or "stay" means all consecutive nights a Marriott Rewards member registers and personally pays and stays at any participating hotel, and the room is billed to the member. This information can be confirmed under “General Membership” Paragraph 2 at:

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi

In addition to his or her own guestroom, a member is eligible to earning points or miles for up to two additional rooms at the same hotel on the same night or nights. This information can be confirmed under “Earn Points” Paragraph 1 at the same website link.

Due to the attempt to circumvent the Terms and Conditions of the Marriott Rewards program, your Rewards account has been placed in Inactive status pending a review by our audit team. If you are found not to have violated said Terms and Conditions, your account will be returned to Active status. This audit may take up to fifteen business days, during which time you may accrue Membership Rewards points for completed stays based on reservation(s) that have already been made if your Rewards number is included with each reservation. Until your account is returned to Active status you may not use or transfer Rewards points.

If you have any further questions about your account or our program please contact us at.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/customer-support.mi

Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Sincerely,

Marriott Rewards Guest Services

I love that they thanked me for choosing Marriott.

Last edited by jwlowry; Feb 10, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Wow. Just wow.

Marriott used to bend over backward for members, even when the member was wrong. This is just plain incompetence on Marriott's audit department.

I have LT Plat status with Marriott but I've moved them from #1 on my large footprint fallback hotel to #2 behind IHG. They're still above Hilton, but both chains are starting to give Best Western a run for their money as far as suckitude.
I've been fortunate that I haven't traveled to many places lately that don't have a Starwood or Hyatt.

This stuff didn't happen when Bill Marriott was CEO.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
So in theory, if I'm staying at a Residence Inn in Chicago for a couple months and I want to do a weekend in Portland, I have to check out of Chicago if I intend to use a Marriott in Portland?

I'm sorry: that's the stupidest policy imaginable.

In practice, the points seem to post, but then we have to worry about this horribly-handled audit process.

I love that they thanked me for choosing Marriott.
"Thank you for choosing Marriott, but we are concerned that you are choosing Marriott too much."
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by pinniped
So in theory, if I'm staying at a Residence Inn in Chicago for a couple months and I want to do a weekend in Portland, I have to check out of Chicago if I intend to use a Marriott in Portland?

In practice, the points seem to post, but then we have to worry about this horribly-handled audit process.

"Thank you for choosing Marriott, but we are concerned that you are choosing Marriott too much."
No. You can book as many different Marriott properties a night that you wish. HOWEVER, you are only supposed to get credit for one. Unfortunately the safest way to do that is to book the room(s) without your MR number. Where MR audit gets involved is if your number is listed on multiple properties AND the auditor working the case does not notice you have an extended stay in one place and doing a hop somewhere else. MR audit will do a knee-jerk reaction and close down your account while you try to get someone to explain the situation and release your account.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Incorrect. You may reserve and pay for every room at every Marriott in the US (and worldwide, I suppose). But, you can't credit them all.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:38 pm

Serious subject. VERY funny comment. I was ROTFLMAO.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
No. You can book as many different Marriott properties a night that you wish. HOWEVER, you are only supposed to get credit for one. Unfortunately the safest way to do that is to book the room(s) without your MR number.
That is ridiculous and makes it very difficult to manage one's reservations.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
Often1 ... Yep it appears you are correct but be prepared to be accused of abuse and potentially fraud !! That was my case .. This has been going on a while because my "go around" with MR was 3 years ago or so ...
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
That is ridiculous and makes it very difficult to manage one's reservations.
Agree 110%. The Marriott website in its current iteration makes it easy for me to manage a very busy travel schedule. It is a real reason for me to stick with Marriott. The only way to make the rooms I am using show up on the Marriott website is to attach my MR# to them. This is a legitimate use of their website and not an attempt to scam points. They should want me to use it in this way because it encourages me to stay at Marriotts.

It's Marriott's job to calculate and apply the room credits correctly. If it is their policy not to credit a single MR account with rooms in two locations on the same night, they need to fix their system so it only credits you for one location (it could default to the higher priced room, or the earlier check in, or the greatest number of points...).
This could be automated.

Alternatively, they could build a new website for travel planners that would allow use to make and manage reservations for multiple rooms, while also allowing us to reserve rooms under multiple guest names, and attach the correct MR# to each room. That too would drive business to Marriott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.